How do you display books in your library?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Jul 16, 2009.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Last year I stored books on two shelves, bindings facing out. But I would really like to store the books so the covers face forward. I was thinking about putting them in bins but wonder if this is best for preschoolers. Anyone use bins for this age? Any good inexpensive ideas to display the books in the classroom library?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I have used bookshelves and one of those display centers which I didn't like because the books kept tipping out. I decided to go with bins this year. It will be interesting to see how it works. I am doing one bin with assorted books and one bin with the class books we make. Hope it is an improvement, but we will see.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

Yes, I used tubs in my pre-k library and it worked very well. You can see pictures of my classroom library and how the books were stored here.

5. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 16, 2009

vannapk,
    Your website has so much information. It really is great!

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

I also store my books in baskets. The baskets are labeled with the topic such as "ABC books" and a colored sticker. Then all the books in that basket have the same sticker on the front cover. The matching stickers make it real easy for the children to put the books back in the right basket.

7. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I'm thinking about doing this too. Can you tell me how many bins do you have out at a time?

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

I have about 10 baskets and another book shelf (the kind where the books face forward) for my larger books that don't fit in the baskets.

9. PrekCAteacher

PrekCAteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I have the books that go with the current theme displayed on a wooden help yourself type bookshelf, the books that stay out all year round are in a tub cover out and they do have pull it off the shelf and look through them. We teach them how to treat and find the books at the beginning of the year. We have a shed where I store all my themed boxes, the the books for each theme are in those boxes.

10. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Vannapk,
    Thanks for all the great information! I was wondering where you buy your baskets. They look sturdy and colorful.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 18, 2009

Head Start recommends 5 books minimum per child be out at a time.

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

The colored tubs are from Lakeshore, I get them during the back to school 20% off sales each year- which are going on right now BTW.

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

I know this wasn't directed at me but I thought I would add my :2cents: :) I started out with only 5 or 6 bins in the beginning by collecting books from Goodwill, garage sales, Scholastic book orders, and library sales. Over the years my library expanded to more than 15 bins all sorted by theme. The bins stayed out all year with the exception of one bin that changed out with every theme. If you use an organizational system like color coding the books with sticker dots then it makes it easy for the kids to put the books away in the correct place. You can find some tips about color coding and see the list of the different tubs I had on my class library page.