How do you differentiate instruction?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 26, 2010

For the grad class that I'm taking right now, I need to either develop a differentiated lesson to simulate with the class, or I need to create a presentation about one way to differentiate. I'm having a hard time, though, because what I do in my classroom is inherently differentiated. For example, I teach reading using a balanced literacy approach. The students are engaged in readers' workshop where they are reading books at their independent reading levels, they participate in guided reading and differentiated instruction groups based on the reading levels and needs, and our word study program is also based on their spelling levels.

I'm at a loss about what to do. Do you think it would be appropriate to do a presentation on using a balanced literacy approach to teaching reading? I mean, most schools seem to have prescribed programs that the teachers have to use, so it may not be something my classmates find useful.

What unique/interesting strategies do you use in your classroom to differentiate?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

I would talk about the balanced literacy approach if I were you. You've been asked to present a way to differentiate, so why come up with a brand new way? Do what you know!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I agree with halfateacher.
    Using the workshop model in all areas, not just writing, also allows for more differentiation.