How do you destress this time of year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, May 10, 2008.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2008

I am so wound up and overwhelmed I could scream. I have projects to grade over the weekend, but 1/4 of them didn't get turned in. I don't have the grades yet for Music, PE, or Spanish. Report cards are due Wednesday morning, but I have to work both Sunday and Monday night. We just got the end of year task list, and it is about 3x the normal amount of work and due May 21st. The kids are climbing the walls. I have a sub next week to plan for and no idea what to leave other than the science video. Add to that the stress of a suddenly unstable work environment (surprise! 6 people wont be returning and wont be replaced! among other things.) and I feel an ulcer coming on. Well, my stomache's in knots anyway. What do you do to try and relax? I can't get my mind to stop working overtime and am having trouble getting to sleep and concentrating on anything for more than a few minutes!!! :help:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 10, 2008

We don't get out til mid-June, so I'm not where you are... YET! The end of the year is always so stressful, but it certainly sounds like you have more than the usual "end of the year" stress going on. I'm sending positive thoughts and energy! That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck! Enjoy your summer!

4. soflgal

soflgal Companion

May 10, 2008

Have a drink!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2008

Maybe try doing the same relaxing things we enjoy that we all should be doing throughout the year, but a little more often during this time of the year:

- relaxing hobbies (painting, pottery, writing poetry, sewing/knitting)
    - exercising, yoga, meditating
    - listening to music
    - strolling the beach, park, shopping mall, bookstores
    - staying at home doing absolutely nothing

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2008

My stomach has been feeling awful for the last month or so, but it is due to the dislike of the special ed. program that I teach and the fact that I am stuck here for 2 more years (b/c of contractual obligations). I have started getting panic attacks on Sunday nights. I have started a detox and am stating a new exercise program (ladies bootcamp). My stomach feels better since the detox. I also live of AtoZ :p.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2008

I do need to get back to yoga. I'll need to dig out the DVD. Any sore of outdoor walking is impossible due to the constant rain, and bookstores are far too dangerous. Still, I might hit a coffee shop and correct projects there. (smilie stroking chin) I had the classical music on earlier and that helped. I wish doing nothing was an option, but that will lead to more stress as the deadlines and due dates aproach. Thanks!:D I'm feeling better already.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2008

I'll definitely complete all my work obligations, but I have no problem lounging around & doing nothing! I don't feel guilty! :D

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2008

No, it wouldn't be guilt I'd be feeling. It'd be panic later on.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 10, 2008

May is always extremely busy for me and I think for most teachers. This year is no exception. I told myself to take it a day at a time. I've had conferences, workshops, new kids starting, some leaving, portfolio deadlines, personal appointments, graduation with my Pre-K class plans, which involves practice, preparing quilt block for each child, fitting their gowns, and dealing with the everyday happenings. Thursday is out graduation ceremony.

11. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

May 10, 2008

I went to play in the sand a couple of weekends ago (amateur division of a sand art competition) and am planning to go parachute jumping in a few more weeks - the adrenalin rush pushes everything else right out of your mind!

I also appreciate a glass of wine now and then ...

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 10, 2008

I was seriously thinking about opening the window and jumping out to run away from my kids this week. Then I rememebered we're on the 2nd floor. My kids are driving me CRAZY.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 10, 2008

I am also on the 2nd floor, teach 2nd grade, and my kids are driving me NUTS!!!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2008

I also meant to add:

- Forget about your worries for the day & grab a great friend or boyfriend & have a good scream at an amusement park. Whether you go regularly or haven't gone since you were a teen, it's a great tension releaser!
    - Go to the movies & lunch or dinner.
    - Visit a museum
    - Go on a day trip somewhere, maybe even a weekend getaway!
    - Spend a day of pampering (manicure, pedicure, massage, etc.)

15. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 10, 2008

My kids are haunting me on the weekends! I had a nightmare about my class last night! :woot: I can't wait to finally be rid of this bunch!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2008

love the pic of your puppy Superteacher81! Such a cutie! Puppy therapy sounds pretty good too, but I don't have on of those. I called parents about the missing projects, and one mom was ready to bring her daughter over to my apartment to hand deliver it! I told her Monday would be soon enough. funny though.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 10, 2008

I'm a list maker. I like to make them, even adding things I've already done so that I can cross them off and look good to myself.

Sometimes I pick out a good funny light reading book and will read a short section, and then finish part of a task, then read, then part of a task.

I also take long naps whenever I can.

It's a wonder anything is getting done around here.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2008

hahaha. I'm checking a few projects, go make tea, check a few projects, go check A to Z, check a few projects, change lightbulb in the bathroom, check a few projects...

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 10, 2008

**AtoZ
    **Running, training for my first 5k
    **DVRing and watching my old favorite shows like Wings, I Love Lucy, etc.
    **Dropping everything to have dinners with friends.

20. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 10, 2008

I wish at this point the weekends were gone so we would be done quicker. Well, maybe not really... I sit and watch bees. Make lists. I try and come up with lessons that will be fun for myself and for the children (keep us all interested). Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark right now watch lots of TV. Get ready for my summer job. Take a mental wellness day or so.

21. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 11, 2008

Get a sub and take a 'sick day'. Use the day to catch up on some of the work that is overwhelming you. I did this last year and I was a better teacher for the kids during the remaining school days because I was less stressed.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 11, 2008

atoz is a good place to start.

I also forget about school for a little bit and hang out with friends. Of course, with friends like mine, you'd be hard pressed to take life too seriously (they let themselves into my house yesterday and attacked with supersoakers INSIDE my house. That turned into an all out war).

Retail therapy in moderation. Or just window shopping...anything to get your mind off of school.

23. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

May 11, 2008

A massage sounds divine. Or maybe try shopping for new spring/summer clothes~:2up:

24. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 11, 2008

Since we go all year, this time of year is especially hard on us. I went in on Saturday and worked all day, but I'm taking Monday off as a vacation day. I still get a two-day weekend, but I got 10 times more stuff done during 8 hours on Saturday than I could get done during an entire week (or more!) with kids and teachers there. I feel so caught up and relaxed and destressed, that Monday will actually be a treat for me. :)

Also, new sandals & summer clothes, mindless websites, and lots of naps! :)

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 11, 2008

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sleeps my way through stress.

26. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 11, 2008

If only I could hibernate...

27. lolipops

lolipops Rookie

May 11, 2008

Something that has been incredibly relaxing to me is tanning. I try to go every other day, either during lunch or after school. I get to close my eyes and have absolute peace & quiet for a few minutes. It's pure bliss.

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 12, 2008

Well, retail therapy will have to wait. I'm going to the Police concert with my sister Wednesday night and taking the day off Thursday. I'll be getting cum files organized I suppose. I have to make a list of what I can get done for end of the year outside of the school building and focus on that. I jokingly told my P that I wanted Friday off as well, but she told me to forget it. Oh, well.

29. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

May 12, 2008

30. MrL

MrL Companion

May 13, 2008

The weekly Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games help me relieve a lot of stress. Baring that, Usually pop Dead Rising in the Xbox and wade through some zombies for awhile. I try Guitar Hero but when I'm frustrated I can get too competitive.

I have my stable of comfort movies, like Big Trouble in Little China & American Werewolf in London.

I also love the end of the year because of the Sex Ed curriculum. Answering the stuff middle schools put in the anonymous box is classic.Every year the kids try to see me embarrassed and every year they stare wild-eyed as I field every question. I can't wait to answer the question about "What is teabagging?" with some jokes about the game Halo.

And if you don;t get that last joke, trust me, you're lucky.

31. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

I'm not super stressed yet, but that's because I go until June 20th! I take a long weekend every May to go to the beach with my sister, BIL, and their 2 kids. Its so much fun.

I also love just taking walks around the neighborhood. I too am a napper when I can. I also partake in ice cream and junk food when necessary! :)

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 14, 2008

I also like to play video games...this time of year the more violent the better. I suppose I get my agression out on the games and can face the kids better.

33. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

May 14, 2008

This time of year I am very wound up as well. I have started exercising immediately after work and it has helped a lot. At first, I thought it was somewhat of a hokie idea, but after about a week, I noticed a real difference.

34. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 15, 2008

I haven't read everyone's yet so some of these may have been mentioned:
    - have a drink or 2 on friday nights
    - read
    - bubble bath
    - think about the cruise I'm taking on July 10
    - I'm taking a personal day from school and going to a theme park with my bf (this will be when the stress REALLY hits...1 week before school ends! We're going on the 5th (weather permitting) and the last day of school for the kids is the 12th)

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 15, 2008

I'll count myself lucky to be ignorant. I'm sure a large portion of the middle school population knows more than I do about such things. My parents kept me very sheltered.

36. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 15, 2008

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!! :rofl:

37. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 16, 2008

Gym.

Its also nice to only be 3 hours away from Vegas.

38. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 16, 2008

Have a hammock in my backyard under a shade tree. I go there and just rock gently. Might take a good book, it's Friday, I might sip a little bit of wine, going there now.

39. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

May 16, 2008

Rght now, I'm working on keeping up with my little garden of containers I started a few weeks ago on my back patio. After school I go outside and admire how fast my veggies/herbs are growing and it helps

40. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 17, 2008

I went to the Police concert Wednesday night with my sister then took Thursday off. It was wonderful to be able to sleep in, eat a leisurley breakfast, and generally do nothing until I had to go to work at my other job. When I came to school yesterday some of the kids were asking "Where were you yesterday? We missed you!" It felt good to hear that. I thought they were all sick of me.

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 17, 2008

Currently I'm playing a game I haven't touched in a year...Zoo Tycoon 2. It rocks.