How do you deal with the emotional toll of teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Feb 10, 2020

I have been working on connecting better with my students the last 3 years, but it has come with unexpected results. I now have to call CPS more, and talk with police more about traumas kids either tell me, or their friends tell me about them.

I want to help them, but honestly it is heart breaking each time it happens especially if it is a serious thing and nothing really happens to help them. Then you worry about them all the time....

I lost my father last May, and the added emotional stress each time something new happens honestly has me feeling overwhelmed. This is the hardest challenge of my teaching career.

How do other teachers deal with these kinds of situations for years ? How do you remain resilient?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 11, 2020

I’m sorry, I have no advice to offer but I’d love to know how others deal and become resilient with the emotional side of things. I’ve had students I’ve taught whom I’ve absolutely loved having in class. I’ve laughed with them, taken them on school trips, shared stories about my life, heard stories about their life, and just had a wonderful relationship with them. Then they died. I know it’s not the same situation as yours but I feel a little part of me dies each time I hear news about students passing away. Lives cut short before they’ve had a chance to live it. The unfairness of it. It’s heartbreaking. And getting harder and harder to compartmentalise.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2020

You are a cog in the wheel. You can do all that is required of you, legally, but it will not guarantee that there is a magic solution that will immediately fix all that is going on. However, you can take solace in the fact that you chose not to turn the blind eye, but chose, instead, to report and get the traumas on record. It is the simplicity of choosing to do the right thing each and every time you are presented with a child in need. Only time, sometimes much longer than you have yet to experience, will possibly yield the help that these students need, in one form or another. Since we are not able to foresee the future, we must continue to act in the present - that's how we sleep at night.

5. BoardResult1

BoardResult1 New Member

Feb 12, 2020

6 Ways to Manage the Effects of Emotional Labor in Teaching
    1. Recognize What Emotional Labor Is
    2. Learn Problem-Solving Techniques
    3. Have Crucial Conversations
    4. Remember the Rewards and Share Success Stories
    5. Talk to Your Administrators
    6. Take Care of Yourself
    It's Not All Bad

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 4:12 AM
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Feb 14, 2020

Wow! Sounds like we have had some of the same experiences. Are you in Alaska? I really wish I could start a PM, but this site won't let me. I am hoping it will at maybe 1K posts, but am not sure. :( I finally found a way to get through the deaths by just going into totally emotional denial. I know it is not the healthy way to do it.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Feb 14, 2020

Be thankful for those you were able to intervene for whose lives will be better. I used to just feel sick for some I was unable to get help for, but once deaths started piling up, I stopped being resilient.
    I spent a year crying when I was alone in the car. If you knew me, you'd never believe it either cus I am pretty stoic and cheerful looking. I could not deal with it and took 2 yrs off to get my MA because it was a "respectable way" to leave. I don't really care much about appearances, but I have family who does. Those 2 yrs helped me a lot. I stopped crying totally, but I do not deal w/ death anymore in a healthy way.
    Maybe it'd help to go see a counselor who can help you see what a difference you are making and help you keep strong. Know you are doing what is right. Someone asked me a Q year's ago that helped me a lot. Even when you feel you couldn't do enough, what would that kid's life have been like w/out you?
    If you think about that Q deeply, it may make all of the difference in the world. It really helped me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:42 PM