How do you deal with stress?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 17, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 17, 2009

What do you do to relax or not feel stressed in the first place? :)

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

Before I start the day with teaching, I have to have my quiet time with God. It gives me a peace throughout the day.....

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 17, 2009

I like listening to the positive Christian radio station. On Fridays, they have funny kid stories!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

Walk
    Beach
    Family
    Thinking positively
    ...and a glass of a nice oak aged chardonnay helps too.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2009

Honestly, I don't get frazzled or stressed much as it is. I would really have to be under the gun w/ something or having multiple things going on at once to feel stressed.

I've always wanted to try yoga & I'm sure I'd make time to do that if there was a time in my life when I just couldn't take it anymore. But, I know it's good to do anyway & not just wait until things are bad.

I'm sure these would also help w/ stress:

- taking a drive (to nowhere in particular, but just enjoying a calm drive & enjoying the scenery

- playing a sport/good workout at the gym

- playing relaxing music & sipping a nice beverage while reading

- taking a nice warm shower

- cooking can be relaxing

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I don't do anything to prevent it, but when I am stressed, I eat. Which is why I look like I do. *sigh*

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I play the piano, and what I play changes depending on the mood I'm in. It's a good thing I have a sturdy upright--I will pound on the keys every once in a while! Seriously, though, it's a great release for me. A good book works, too. I really love listening to a baseball game on the radio; there's something about it that is just very calming (it's too bad that baseball season usually doesn't cover the most stressful parts of the year...).

9. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I get stressed out pretty easily due to my anxiety. It sucks. When I'm stressed I usually shop or listen to music. It is also very easy to eat when I am stressed, but I am trying to work out instead.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Don't beat yourself up about that. Try surrounding yourself with healthy foods so when you do reach for that stress relief, it won't do any harm. After a while, eating to relieve stress won't be that enjoyable because it won't be the things that soothe you so you might develop a yearning to do something else.

For me, I go walking. I used to eat. Every day is a new day.

11. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

I knit. Or read. Or go for a walk. Or scrapbook. Or I write.

Or I get a really hot guy to give me a massage. Personally, I prefer this option when its available!

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Where does one get this "super hot guy" for massages? LOL
    Seriously, where?

13. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

Well, I played sports in University and keep in touch with a lot of the guys from various teams. Many of them are super hot. Some of them are even date-able.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I don't buy it, but it doesn't seem to matter. The damage is already done. I am working on exercising more, but some how manage not to most days.

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

Drink...oops sorry, not really, but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Honestly, a long walk, a movie, a bath, reading a fun book or chatting with a friend help a lot.

16. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

Kates - There is nothing wrong with a drink every now and then. I know at the end of a long day, a glass of wine is the best thing ever!

17. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I cry or sleep. Or obsess about whatever is stressing me out but obviously that doesn't work. I need new strategies.

18. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

Lol...I can totally relate. That's what I do before I become rational again.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

It depends on the stress level.

For the heavy duty stuff, I cry. There's a LOT to be said for the theraputic effects of a good cry. It's cheaper than therapy and a whole lot less harmful than booze. I recommend it highly.

When I'm under a lot of stress, my sleep always suffers. Fortunately, I've been teaching long enough that I can still be an effective teacher after an occasional (or more than occasional) sleepless night. I've learned NOT to toss and turn; what works better for me is to go into the living room, and turn the TV very softly to Nick at Night or HGTV...something without a plot that I need to pay attention to. I put the volume so low that I can just barely hear. Very often I find that I doze off after an hour or two.

20. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 18, 2009

To be honest, I eat when stressed which is why I can stand to lose a few pounds. However, I know the best thing I could do is pray and turn it over to the Lord. I'm trying to get to that point and stay there.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

Be physical..... very physical. Go to the gym, lift weights or participate in an aerobic class with the ladies. Walk or jog...

A couple of days ago I had a leisurely walk on the beach with a very close teacher friend... We found lots of sea shells and shark's teeth. It was a nice relaxing day.

Just get out of the house and do something.......:):):)