How do you deal with Dress Code and 2-5s?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by dragonflym, Apr 9, 2012.

1. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 9, 2012

HI everyone! Okay so, I was wondering something because this has never been an issue for me before at a previous workplace, how do you handle a "business casual" dress code when working with 2-5s? The position I'm being considered for is as a two year old teacher, which I have done before, but the thing that is new to me is the dress code. Up until now I've basically been able to wear whatever I want, as long as it was clean and appropriate; no skin showing, safe and comfortable. Well, at this possible new place it's only dark or khaki pants, no jeans and a dark shirt. How on earth do you do this with 2s? I mean I know that before I always, always came home with stuff on my clothes and that's while I was wearing an apron. Paint, glue, sand, you name it it probably ended up on me. I don't mind adhering to the dress code, it's not a make or break thing I just wanted to get some advice or input as to how others have dealt with it. Thanks everyone! :)

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2012

Can you wear colored khaki pants? That could give your outfits more variety.
    I don't teach that preschool, but I have a pair of dark blue khaki's that are very comfortable.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2012

I wear khakis nearly every day. I think the khakis are comfortable and I just wash and dry them without any fuss.

What about shoes? A rule against tennis shoes would be very problemtic for me...

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 9, 2012

Most schools have a dress code just for PS. It is unreasonable to expect you to dress up for paint and floor play.

6. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Apr 10, 2012

An apron! I use this one: http://www.creativepockets.com/Description.lasso?ID=1

I have to adhere to my public school's dress code so this is how I keep my work clothes from getting ruined.

(Also no tennis shoes for me - I buy Clark's and try to find tennis-like shoes that I can wear all day)

7. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 10, 2012

So far as I know, we don't have a dress code for teachers. We do have one for students, devised during the Great Bare Midriff Craze of the late 1990's.

I wear what I want to school, usually jeans, a collared shirt, running shoes. I buy my shirts at a used clothing store, because my sartorial taste runs to the tasteless, so I'm told, and so I believe.

8. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Apr 10, 2012

Ooops! Sorry I skipped the part about you already wearing an apron in your original post!

I have a pair of dress pants with puffy fabric paint on the leg from a (supervised) t-shirt project we did. I still wear them to work.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2012

I'm going to throw this in there for discussion. I strongly feel that as early educators we need to promote ourselves as professionals - not babysitters. If we want the public to take us seriously, we have to take ourselves seriously. One of the ways to do that is to dress the part. A pair of khakis or Docker-type pants or capris, a decent shirt, casual and comfortable shoes, and a little jewelry looks a lot better than most of the outfits I see teachers wear at some schools and is easy to keep clean. How can a parent take anyone seriously as a professional who wears clothes fit for the beach or exercising? I am not asking for dry-clean only formal outfits - just make it look like we respect ourselves and our profession. :2cents:

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2012

If I had to teach two-year olds, I think my preferred attire would be mechanics overalls.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

I've said before, I can take any professional seriously even if in knit capris and a tank and flip-flops.

12. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 10, 2012

That would be just about perfect, Sarge! If only the overalls adhered to the dress code policies ;) I agree that we should look professional and I have no problem following the dress code, I just wanted to know how others who work in ECE did it, that's all. This is new to me, in terms of a "strict" dress code. Anyhow, it's been great reading all the posts thanks everyone! Keep the input coming! :)

13. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 10, 2012

I worked at a daycare were females had to wear a dress and males had to wear a tie. I was like how the heck are you suppost to work with children with a dress on? (I did not wear a dress). Also I was like dress clothes cost more so you going to pay us more?

14. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 10, 2012

I would see how your potential coworkers dress. I work in special ed and need to be mobile and comfortable. Sometimes things get messy. It varies at each school, but usually we dress a lot more casually than the gen ed teachers. If I were to actually ask my supervisors, they'd tell me to dress a certain way, but no one actually does so on the job. It just wouldn't work. I wouldn't be able to take off running after a kid bolting towards a busy street in dress shoes. I try to find a balance between comfortable and professional though, and usually show up a little bit overdressed.

15. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

Yes, this is what I was thinking, bison, I was thinking how exactly does dressing this way work when you're teaching 2s? I know in my former job I always came home with stuff on my clothes, and there's no way I'd wear "business" type clothes in a 2 classroom. Thanks everyone! :)

16. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 14, 2012

I teach 2 year olds in a daycare center that required business casual dress also. I usually wear knit/cotton type shirts that are embellished or embroidered to look dressy -- but they feel just like wearing a t shirt!! :) For pants I usually wear black pants since khakis get dirty so quickly with messy kids grabbing me all the time! We can wear tennis shoes or dress shoes, and are allowed to wear flip flops in the summer. I usually wear ballet flats so I am comfortable and can easily move around to get to children quickly.

17. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Apr 15, 2012

I've worked at a couple different centers with different policies. One, we were allowed to wear jeans every day. Another we had to wear pants (could be khakis, color khakis, slacks), and jeans were for Fridays only. The top had to just be decent looking and not showing anything. My current one has an actual uniform. We have to wear khakis (only tan) with the company t-shirt and a name tag.

While I agree with wearing work appropriate clothing (no skin showing, not too tight, and comfortable shoes) in the classroom, I don't agree with uniforms. That is a whole 'nother discussion though.

"Business casual" in a Twos classroom for me would be some nice colored or regular khakis, a polo type shirt, and some comfortable shoes. I bought some cheap plain black mary jane flats. I've also worn slim sneakers (not the big bulky running ones).

18. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 16, 2012

Thanks saralynn2006 for the hint about ballet flats. I know we can wear tennis shoes, so at least that makes it a bit easier on the feet. Thanks froreal3 for the hint about the slim sneakers, I might check some lighter ones out. I think as long as the clothes are comfy, but appropriate and I can move in them, it should be okay. I did pick up some new pants and shirts last week at JC Penny in prep for this, and they were inexpensive and are all wash and wear so that's a bit of a relief. Thanks again everyone! :)

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

My mom's husband once worked in a business that required him to wear a tie. He thought it was stupid so he bought one hideous tie and wore it every single day. But that's just the type of guy he is.

I think that some loose khakis and a shirt is easy enough to work with little kids.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 16, 2012

I worked at 1 center that we wore skirts 3-4 days a week. No jeans. I got bleach on a skirt one day. . . I continued to wear the skirt.

I'd go with dockers or khakis, leaning towards darker colors to hid dirt and a nice shirt. Comfy shoes, whatever that is for you. You just know that with the younger kids you may have more laundry.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 16, 2012

I don't think slacks cost any more than jeans and most khakis would not be any less durable than jeans. If you are going to get glue on them, it doesn't matter which one you get glue on. Mobility wise, both are equal too. I think it is just outside your expectations for a bit. Give it a try!

Edit to add: I just read you went shopping!

22. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 21, 2012

Update: well, I started my new job on Thursday (YAY!) and it's not as restrictive as I thought, no jeans or sweats, but any kind of nice pants are fine with any solid color top. Also tennis are fine, I experimented a bit and tried some lighter tennis on Thursday and when I got home my feet, legs and hips hurt very badly. So I switched to my old standby of slightly sturdier shoes on Friday and they were fine and totally acceptable to the director. So thanks everyone for your advice, I appreciate everyone's help! :)