How do you deal with cell phones in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Aug 25, 2014.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 25, 2014

One of my classes is really bad about it and I want to stop it early in the semester. I just graded their first projects and the grades were horrible. I even had them draft their projects first and I signed off on the drafts. This means these students had the material but weren't paying attention long enough to transfer it to the final structure.

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 25, 2014

What's your school's policy on cell phones?

4. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 25, 2014

I'm in a new school and haven't heard anything official, but it's my understanding that it is up to the teacher and I cannot confiscate the phone.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 25, 2014

Find the student handbook and see what is in writing.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2014

Our school is K-8. We have a policy of collecting phones at the beginning of the day and handing them back at the end of the day. Since it is school-wide, written in the handbook, and backed by the P, it works. I think a cell phone policy is best if it is school-wide and written in the school's handbook.

7. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

I once worked at a school that did that. Students would bring in old phones, and deposit those in the morning, and keep their current ones on them, and text in class.

I now work at a school where it is up to the teacher, and when I see someone texting, I require them to put their phone on my desk, and they can get it back after the class is over.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2014

Phones go on top of the desk, screen side down, until being used in class for BYOD.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2014

This.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 27, 2014

Same here!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2014

What are other teachers doing?

12. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 27, 2014

BYOD?

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 27, 2014

I confiscate until the end of the class period (first offense) or end of the day. In years past our handbooks specifically mentioned how teachers and staff were not responsible for lost/stolen devices once they were confiscated. I think that was left out the last two years. Hopefully by mistake when the disclipline issues were resolved.

I get some grief about it from the students but I don't care.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 27, 2014

Bring your own device

15. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Aug 27, 2014

I'm elementary, so it's a little different, but my rule is that if I see an electronic device, I take them away, and the only way to get them back is if parent or guardian comes and talks to me about it. When the do, I show them in the school and district policy handbooks that students are not permitted to have any sort of electronic device at school.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2014

We ask the child to put it away as a warning. When they don't, we are supposed to take the phone and bring it to the office where the child can get it at the end of the day. Due to theft, we are told not to keep kids' phones in our possession. A lot of kids will refuse to give you their phone, so then we have to call for a pick up. It is such a drain on time.

Using their phones, charging their phones and FaceTiming in class are some of our biggest "low-level discipline" problems.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 27, 2014

My county has an awesome policy on it, and guess what---we don't have a cellphone problem AT ALL. First time you are caught with a device it is confiscated for TEN DAYS. Second offense, 30 days.

I have yet to see a cell phone, and I bet I don't all year long.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 27, 2014

Our district is way too wimpy for anything like that. Plus, many of our worst student offenders are children of school board members and district office employees.

19. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 27, 2014

Our policy is that if a kid is using a phone, we call security and they come pick it up. It's kept until end of day for 1st offense, 2 weeks for 2nd offense and rest of school year for 3rd. It takes so long to wait for security, though. It's easier just to tell them to put it up unless it's an ongoing issue.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 27, 2014

Here, the devices aren't allowed to be confiscated - the school doesn't want to be liable for the expensive phones. Yes, many students have multiple devices, as well. The best I can do is to make them put it on the desk in plain sight when testing. Before that sounds like I hate the phones, I actually don't. When I find students looking down a lot, I shoot them a question and tell them to look up the answer, breaking up what they were planning. I am quick to pick things out of the lessons. The smarter students used to tell me that the information I was asking about was in the reading, but I would insist that they look up the info and give us all the web address where they found the information so we can all join them there. Now everyone one has learned that the quickest way to be on the hotplate is to be teacher's examples. I do use the tech a lot in class for truly fun and worthwhile uses, and I can honestly say not much of a problem. If you can't take the distraction away, find a way to deal that is creative.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2014

Here, parents would raise hell if you took their child's phone for that length of time. Also, most of our kids take the MTA or walk to and from school and in dangerous neighborhoods so not having their phone because the school took it is a liability.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2014

My old district had a very relaxed policy because it was a BYOD district. Even in elementary school, if I saw a phone out and not being used for an assignment, I would just tell them to put it away.