how do you create reading groups?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ShanaNicole, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Working at a private school, I don't have reading running records or any programs that determine reading levels. I don't know how to put them in groups since I don't know their levels. What could I do to put them in groups?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

Do you have access to any leveled books?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

You don't need any special materials to do a running record...do you have access to books at a variety of levels with which to assess your students?

5. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

I do not have leveled readers or any leveled books. I have a little library in my room, but its just a mixture of books. I don't know the levels, though I'm sure I could do a little research to find out.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

CBM/DIBELS materials are free on the internet, which you could very easily use to find kids' levels, and assign them to reading groups. The problem will then be what you do in those reading groups, considering you don't have any leveled materials to use in those groups. Readinga-z.com is fairly cheap ($89/year last time I checked) and would provide leveled books, phonics activities, etc. It isn't the best, but is the best for that money for sure. Definitely a worthwhile investment if you're going to try to do 1st grade reading groups and don't have anything else.