How do you cope with snow days?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by blazer, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 31, 2010

We also go way more minutes per day than necessary. That helps with snow days. We've never (knock on wood) had to add days on the end of the year.

2. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 31, 2010

I meant it in terms of amount of snow over the length of time. Last winter was quite hard and we had snow from about November to February. Really nasty for those that traveled by train as they were delayed by as much as 2 hours sometimes. In terms of the amount at one time, it was great fun for the kids who literally were tunneling through the snow on our forest walks. A lot of snow for me would be...higher than my head. That would be a lot :) We do not have snow days though regardless. It snows in the winter, it will happen every winter (hopefully). It's dealt with. It is required here that everyone have snow tires after a certain time and that you can drive on slippery/hazerdous roads (have a fun driving course that everyone is required to do when taking your license).

Basically we have the same climate here (the Stockholm region) as Northern Ohio/Michigan. When there is a blizzard here, we keep going to our jobs, schools, etc. It is just a part of life.

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

We typically have at least 1 snow day per winter here and when we have a snow day the schools are completely closed. If I would have to report to the nearest school, it would be the school I am at which is 15 miles from home on country (but tar) roads.

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 1, 2010

We are a mostly rural district and only about 4 teachers even live within walking distance to school. I get the robo call around 5:45 in the morning, I turn off the alarm, roll back over and go back to sleep. You know snow days are going to happen sooner or later and just have to go with the flow. It is the responsibility of the parent to have alternate plans for their children. It is not my responsibility to babysit them if they don't.

We had a super a few years ago that didn't want to cancel school for anythings. The buses were getting stuck out on gravel roads and they would call in "I slid off the road and I am stuck in the ditch. I have 12 students on my bus. The reply? "Find some farmer with a tractor to pull you out." I would rather be home and have to make up a snow day than to have kids on a bus out stuck in the snow.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 1, 2010

I stay home and watch it snow or go outside and play with the dogs.
    We have a lot of snow days most years we have seven. Last yr we were lucky and only had two or so. If we have a snow day the missed day is tacked onto the end of the year in June to be made up. So we may have that actually day off but we don't have one off in June that we would have had off.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

I don't think that "babysitter" is the mindset.

But parents get a school calendar long before the first snowfall. They make their childcare arrangements with that calendar in hand. Any sort of change to the calendar is a problem.

I think it's unrealistic to think that parents can take a day off each and every time the roads are deemed too dangerous for school busses to be on them, or each time that it would take too long to dig out a fleet of busses in time for school to begin.

We all realize that children NEED to be looked after. Parents who work-- and that's the overwhelming majority of parents I know-- worry about the care of their children just as they'e concerned about the possiblity of losing too many hours at work, or even losing their jobs in a difficult economy if they miss too many days.

It's a difficult position to be in.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2010

It seems that some schools may end up with double the teachers while others end up with half if you follow that directive....we stay home and make up the day at the end of the year.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 1, 2010

I have not read the entire thread. I live in an area that may have a few snow days each winter. Last year we had three blizzards in one month's time! My school figures in five snow days when making the calendar, but last year we used six. The last day had to be made up and a couple others were built in as insurance (that we ended up not needing.) Typically the districts might begin calling off school the night before a big storm and it is announced on the news at 10PM. Other times we don't find out until the next morning when the alarm goes off. Some districts require the staff to report on these days, others never do. I teach at a parochial school that services three different districts. Basically, if the biggest district calls off classes all the others will follow and I can roll over and go back to sleep for a few hours. I decided long ago that God gave me snow days (and snowed me in) so that I could get housework and other domestic stuff done that is always neglected. Last year during one three-day span I reorganized closets, prepared for tax season, baked cookies, sorted and did laundry, ironed, put out all the Christmas stuff, wrapped gifts, read a lot, watched a couple movies I had been meaning to see, scubbed the floors until the sparkled...

Snow is a way of life in in Nebraska. "Coping" only comes into the picture when we are snowbound for more than a day or two. Last year was rough. Parents have back-up plans in place for the most part because they know snowdays are a real possibility. Neighbors look out for each other. Families pitch in as well.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

I ALWAYS use snow days to pair up all the unmatched socks :)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

Just have your kids adopt Lauren's fashion trend--just grab any two socks from the pile and don't worry about whether or not they match.:p

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 1, 2010

We get three or four days built into our calendar. The last few years we have had to go an additional day. We only call off school for ice...thick ice...and no electricity. Three years ago there were schools out for almost two weeks in Oklahoma. We had an ice storm that was awful. We (my home) was without electricity for 5 days. There were some areas that were without electricity 2/3 weeks. No electricity, no heat, no school.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 1, 2010

Oh yeah, the year I was without electricity, the school had it and I went anyway. I just boiled water on the grill and melted ice for the toilets. My kids laughed at me and called me their "pioneer mother."

13. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

I live in the south, you've never seen weather wusses until you've been down here.

We miss several days to snow each year and 1 or 2 are usually to predictions of snow fall instead of an actual snow. If there's 3 or 4 inches on the ground, you can definitely forget about having school.

Salaried employees (e.g. teachers) get the day off with pay. Non-salaried (assistants, etc.) get the day with pay but are required to work extra days to make up the time (if they don't make up the time, their last pay checks get cut.)

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Nov 1, 2010

I live in Minnesota and for the most part schools do not close because of snow. For the places that do not close in the North...they have the equipment to deal with the snow.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

I absolutely LOVE snow days. I swear I'm as bad as the kids. I stay up late listening to the weather report and watching for any kind of delay or closing.

Anyhow, we have snow plows here that keep the main roads clear. They also put down a lot of salt and sand prior to big snows as a precaution.

It's funny because even when school closes, life and our town continues on. People still drive into the city for work, all the stores are open. It's very very rare to get a total shut down and even when it does happen, it'll only last for a day, two tops.

16. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

Most of the time, we know a snow day is coming. Now, I am living hours away from any family so I completely understand the hardships snow days wreak on families. However, part of parenthood is having back-up plans for snow days/sick days/vacations. That's parental responsibility, not school responsibility. Parents know there will be snow days - it's not a surprise, and they need to have back-up arrangements for that.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

I KNOW I am as bad as the kids. I do the snow dance, wear my pajamas inside out and backwards, stay up late watching the news, all of it! I haven't done the spoon under the pillow or sugar in the freezer things yet though.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

We have 5 inclement weather days built into the calendar. The first 3 days we get off if we don't have to make any up, and the last days are added on to the end of the year. We will have days off due to weather. The question is just when and what for. We usually have several snow/ice days, and sometimes days for tornado damage. Last year we had a 6 day run because of Ice. Our power (at home) was off for 7 days. It was kind of fun, but was a pain to make the days up at the end of the year.

19. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Nov 2, 2010

Ya I noticed that too Muttling, Even here in the mountains one would think the gov would have more than just a contract with the local asphalt company or bubba and his f 350 with a plow. BUT every year the roads get closed because of a teaspoon of frozen water fell to the ground. The roads closed= the schools closed. Look at Carter county last year they had something like 33 days closed.

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2010

Snow days ......

- Cross country sking
    - Playing in the jeep on an off road trail .. just trying to get stuck
    - Tracking wildlife
    - Having a Gran Marnier in the hot tub
    - Doing a snow dance with rws

:lol::lol::lol:

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 3, 2010

In Northeast Ohio, we have lake effect snow! When Lake Erie is open, and the winds are just right, it can dump a few feet of snow in one day. Last year was rough...it seemed like we had snow on the ground from November to April.
    In Ohio, we have 3 calamity days. Anything over that we must make up.

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 3, 2010

I wish we could just get snow. We usually have a good layer of ice before the snow begins. That's why everything stops. Ice is very dangerous especially on all the hills and curvy roads that we have.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 3, 2010

I don't know if it's this way all over the state, but I have NEVER seen worse roads than when I drove through Arkansas last year when I moved here. Leaving the state, the roads were so bad that traffic was forced to move at 3-5mph. Literally at the state line going into MO, the roads were not only clear, but dry. It was the worst driving experience I've ever had.

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 3, 2010

And sometimes it's like we're in a bubble of weather. Tornados and Ice storms come through all the time and will only hit the same section of the state. Fifteen miles can make a huge difference in weather. It's a very diverse state with the hills and "mountains", so what you experience in one area is completely different from what you experience in another. I'm right on the state line (AR/OK) and once you cross into Oklahoma it's flat land. Not so much on our side of the state line.

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 3, 2010

MissW...This was the huge ice storm that hit the whole region late January. There was honestly ice several inches thick on the AR roads, but clear dry roads in MO. It was a sudden and dramatic shift right at the state line.

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 3, 2010

Oh yes. We were out of power for 7 days, and couldn't get out of our neighborhood due to really steep hills. It was not good. Our neighbors didn't have any water because they have a well, which the pump is run by electricity. We were able to fill tanks for them every day, but it still wasn't fun for them. We have a generator for this year. You know it's coming, it's just a question of when.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2010

That's the thing. There's no reason NOT to be prepared; it's only a matter of time.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 3, 2010

Yep, but we weren't prepared for 7 days without being able to get anywhere. Luckily we have a wood stove and was able to cook on top of it. Had we not, we would have been in trouble.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2010

No,that's beyond reasonable expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.