How do you come back from yelling at a class?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by biologyland, Nov 2, 2012.

1. biologyland

biologyland Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

Okay, so I may be under s bit of pressure these days.

I am on an alternating block schedule, and on one of my days I have two blocks off, and no the other I have no breaks all day.

Today is my no break day, and my students were being horrible. We were playing Jeopardy and one group didn't get their answer up in time, so I wasn't going to give them points. They (all 6 of them) started screaming at me, which was obscenely loud, so I felt like I needed to yell back to get their attention.

So, I yelled "Alright," to get their attention, but because I'm sick it came out all menacing and super gravely, which they thought was hilarious. After they had settled down, I told them that if they wanted to continue laughing about it that they could do so in the office, (I had already joked on myself a bit and apologized for sounding super mean) because there were a couple of students still trying to make jokes. I did wind up sending one kid out for it.

I might be overthinking, but I feel really bad about (1) yelling, and (2) sending that kid out for making fun of me. I'm worried that I'm sending the wrong message,, and I don't really know how I should come back from that next class.

Any thoughts?

3. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Nov 2, 2012

I would tell them that every day is a new day and a new chance to make better choices. I wouldn't dwell too much on the previous day

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 2, 2012

I don't feel like you sent the wrong message at all. The line was drawn, a student crossed it, they were sent to the office. Fair is fair.

As far as yelling to get their attention when they're all screaming, I don't see anything wrong with it, in general. If you were ALWAYS yelling to get their attention, that's different, but it is a perfectly allowable tool, imo. You were not demeaning in your yelling, you just needed attention.

In summary, yes, I believe you are overthinking.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 2, 2012

I don't think you should feel like you did anything wrong either. Even if yelling is not something I would do (pregnant silence from me works 100 times better), there is no reason to apologize for it if that was what was required to get their attention. It is your classroom.

If you want, you can pretend like it never happened. Bringing attention to it after it's already happened is only asking for trouble. The students will realize that you felt that was inappropriate on your part, and they will use it as a weakness, and remind you of it constantly.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

I think you were fine as well. When I'm trying to get the class attention and a kid starts laughing I always scold them extra hard. They need to realize that I'm in charge of the class and when I call for silence they should repect that request. I've had kids hum or tap the desk or something just to make it not quiet and I'll stare right at them and make sure they understand I'm not playing.

It's not about the kids making fun of you, it's about them not listening to what you asked for. So yes, the kid deserved to get sent out.

7. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

I screamed a a student in one of my classes the other day and entire class has been quieter ever since and I think other students who heard me from other rooms are less likely to cross me now also.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

Class mgt thru intimidation and fear is not mgt...

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 2, 2012

HAhhahahahahahhahaha

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 2, 2012

Best not to talk to the class about this. If you think you did wrong by sending the student out, then talk to that student. If you feel bad about the yelling, then just try to make an effort to not do it again. It isn't something you want to make a big issue of, or they might make it a big issue as well.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 2, 2012

Just today I had a conversation about teachers yelling in class. It was a small group conversation; the overall feeling I got that if a teacher yells, the students think they got under his skin, they got to him, which is a sign of weakness. They can use that to their advantage, but most of the time at the very least they lose respect for you.

I actually had to have a conversation with them about what constitutes yelling, and had to explain, that when everyone is talking, I'm tried of standing there waiting, and giving them the 'eyebrow' as they put it, trying to tell them to be quiet and they can't hear me, I have to raise my voice to be loud enough so they can hear me. That's not yelling. After I explained it they got it, but so many of them thought it was yelling.

I honestly don't remember when I yelled in class - I don't think I've ever done it. Yes, I have raised my voice so they could hear me, or slightly raised it so they knew I meant business, but that was not yelling.

But if you did yell, I agree with others, just move on, there's nothing to discuss, it will make it worse. But I would try to find other ways to handle things.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

When I do something I think is wrong, I apologize. If I feel I wronged a group of people, I apologize publically.

I did YELL at a kid about 2 weeks ago. He publically took advnatage of someone's disability, and I wanted every one of the 300 kids who saw him do it know exactly how I felt about the matter. It was the first time in 26 years of teaching I've EVER yelled at anyone like that, probably the first time in my life.

He didn't receive an apology. In fact, I emailed the deans, told them what happened, and he got reamed out by them as well.

When I'm wrong, I apologize. But getting annoyed, or angry, isn't always wrong.

If you honestly think you were wrong to lose your temper, my advice would be to acknowledge it, apologize, and move on.