How do you collect homework/classwork?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by crunchytxmama, May 22, 2011.

1. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

May 22, 2011

I do pretty well with homework. I think I like my system, but I'm sure it could be better. First thing in the morning, I walk around and check and stamp each kid's homework. It takes about ten minutes, but I know right away who completed homework and I can deal with it then. I have the kids staple and stack it, then I clip it and it's ready to check. Sometimes I'm able to point out errors I see right then, as well.

For classwork I haven't found a good system yet. The kids do some of the work independently, so sometimes it is ongoing. Sometimes things get turned in and I don't realize it until I find it at the bottom of my turn-in basket. Then sometimes things don't get turned in and it takes a while before I realize it. Then I ask the child about it and they have no idea what I'm talking about. :lol

What are your systems? I need to be super organized since almost half of my students have ADD and lack any organizational skills.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

I have a system now that is similar to yours for homework. My problem is that some kids are out during our morning for interventions, band, choir, and other activities. So, I can only check about half the class.

For next year, I am looking at getting a hanging pocket chart for my students to turn work in. This way, I can quickly see who turned in the work and who hasn't each class period. Then, we will put unfinished work into their folder to complete during the day or tomorrow.

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

May 22, 2011

I have a very similar system for homework and it works well. However, like mopar I have students who are out for Reading and when they return I'm usually in the middle of something so those 2 turn it into the basket for me to check later. I only do this for Math homework, however.

On Wednesdays they have a Reading packet that is due and they know to turn that in. On Friday's they have a Spelling Packet and that is also turned in, though I am thinking of revamping that next year. I think I might have the students grade one another's Reading packet and we can do it as an in class activity. I could probably do the same thing I do with the math homework for the Spelling packet...I just haven't switched it because they are accustomed to the routine now.

I struggle with the classwork issue, as I have kids who are so varying in abilities. It takes some of them 2 days to complete an assignment, and others it may take 20 minutes. (I have ADD, ADHD, gifted, 5 ESOL and 1 ESE in my room.) Right now what ever is unfinished goes into a "Work In Progress" folder where each student has their own in a crate. I thought this would work well at the beginning of the year but they forget things are in there and I easily lose track.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

To help with the work in progress, I have time where the students complete work in progress work or challenge level work where they are working on more advanced skills in either math or reading or they are correcting their earlier completed work.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 22, 2011

Students often submit their work in the basket as they leave the room. I don't often assign homework, so it's usually classwork I'm collecting.

Often, the classwork I've assigned is to be used to immediately know if they grasp a concept (I like to use Assess and Adjust technique), so they don't really have to turn in it. Rather, I stand in the middle of the room and they line up with their paper when they are finished. Since Assess and Adjust only requires a few questions, it only takes a couple seconds to check. Students know to remain quiet in line for those still working and surprisingly it's not at all chaotic. It gives them an opportunity to get up and whisper to others in the line, so that's a plus as well. So, there is no turning in these papers. Those that missed none or maybe only one go back to their seats with an extended activity using the same skill, those that missed a couple go back to their seats and complete more practice just like the ones they already did (it's all on the same paper), and those that missed a majority are retaught immediately. And then I continue checking until everyone gets it. Point is, I've made use the work at that moment so I don't always collect it. The less paper I'm in charge of, the better. :)

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 23, 2011

I don't really have a lot of classwork, because we practice the Daily 5 and it's not a lot of "paperwork" so I don't know how this would work. Could you have a clipboard next to the basket where students turn in their classwork and when the student turns it in, they can just check off their name? I think second graders could handle something like that.

8. nstructor2

nstructor2 Rookie

May 23, 2011

I check that they did their homework as my students work on their beginning activity. Then I have 1 student be the "teacher" and go over the hw, while the others grade each other's papers.

Cruiseteacher-don't they have work during their "stations" during Daily 5? Do you not collect it, or what do you do?

Just me-what grade do you teach? Can you explain your method a little more-the students are in a line waiting for you to check their work?

Thanks!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Nothing really more to explain than has already been said, but I'll try. :)

I teach sixth grade. When we are doing class work that requires immediate feedback in order to determine if they got the concept and should move on to more challenging work, needs a little more practice, or needs retaught the concept all together, I use the the line system. It's faster for them to come to me, it gives them an opportunity to get up which is important for this age group, and since they may be moving anyway depending upon whether they need reteaching, it just makes sense. For example, those students who need reteaching will go to the back of the room and after I've checked everyone's, which takes literally maybe three minutes. All students either:

a) move on the more challenging work usually on the same page,
    b) practice more of the same, or
    c) are retaught the information.

Let's say I'm introducing, oh, finding adjectives. I'll have fifteen sentences on the handout requiring the adjectives to be circled. They have to do 1-7 then show me their paper. If they got six or seven right, they got it. Move on. No need for them to keep circling adjectives when they clearly got it. If they missed two or three, maybe some more practice would do them good, so they go back and finish the rest. If they missed a few, they need retaught in a small group.

Hope it makes sense. It's not hectic at all and it's hugely beneficial. I love it! :)

10. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 23, 2011

They have a choice of Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing or Word Work. There is also Listen to Reading, which we don't do in the upper grades. Honestly, no, there is not a lot of paperwork to collect. The reading is just that, reading. Their writing they work on a specific assignment usually for a week or two (between editing and final drafts), then that does get turned in, but I check that in on a clipboard. Their word work is usually working on spelling, which gets turned in on Fridays, or they might just stamp out their spelling words, practice on white boards, etc. In those cases, obviously nothing gets collected.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2011

Homework is reading every night, and math once a week (I would like it more, but that was a school decision). For reading homework parents have to write the time their child reads and sign it at the beginning of the next week. The entire grade level uses the same format so parents are not confused. A sheet stays in the back pocket of their take home folder (which goes home every day) for the entire month. At the end of the month I take it out and put the sheet for the next month. As I take them out I give the students a sticker for each week they completed their homework that they put on their homework sticker chart. For math homework students take home a consumable math book, but don't tear out the pages. I have a homework stamp that I use for the page that should be done for homework that night (always on Tuesday). The next day they turn in the book to a rack where we store the books. I check to make sure they did their homework and give them a stamp.

For classroom assignments I have a turn-in bin for each subject. This helps me keep work sorted and get it graded more quickly than a large stack of papers. For our Literacy Daily 5 students turn in very little, so the Language Arts bin doesn't get a ton of papers. They do turn in their reader's response sheets from our Focus lesson of the day. I quickly grade those and hand them back to put in their Focus notebook. Math I must grade daily to help keep up with groups for Math Daily 5.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 23, 2011

I am really behind in my marking. I think I am assigning too much pencil/paper work. I check over assignments to make sure they are complete and do a quick skim for any red flags to check for understanding.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 24, 2011

My students all have laptops so many of them elect to type assignments and then they submit them electronically via Google Docs. With Google Docs there is no question of when the assignment was submitted and I have no papers to lose. I get home open up Google Docs and begin grading. When I'm done the assignment is saved with comments and grades write to the students Google Docs. I usually enter grades into the gradebook as I go. There is no need to pass anything back. Also, if there is ever a question about a misreported grade the assignment is write there for me to review. Usually, when I finish grading an assignment (like a paper) I email the class or post to Moodle to let them know.

I also use another program (Exam Builder I think?) for tests/quizzes (and it grades the objective portions for me).
    I can open up the program from my home or office and grade the short answers and essays from there. When I finish grading the scores automatically are uploaded to our school grade program.

Anything that is turned in by hand is collected by a student helper, alphabetized, clipped together, and then put in an in-box for that class. I have an in-box and out box for each class. Even if a student is not turning an assignment in they must turn in a Piece of Paper, saying they did not complete the assignment and then sign the piece of paper. That way there is no way I lost the papers.

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 24, 2011

I have two hanging file holders in a central location in my classroom. (The open kind without a lid.)

One has blue hanging folders in and is labeled "In-Progress" and the other has purple hanging folders as is labeled "Finished Work."

Each child has a folder, and assignments go into one of the two folders after each work period (most of the time. Once in awhile I collect the work.)

I correct all of the work in the Finished Work folders before Friday (usually early Friday morning.)

On Fridays I have a free work period first thing in the morning. Kids need to have the work from the blue folders completed and the work from the purple folders corrected. Once all their work is completed and/or corrected, it goes in a Friday Folder, which is sent home.

If kids have all their work correct, and have nothing to complete, they get choice time. This is time to read, draw, play games, legos, computers, etc. I think about 1/2 my class almost always has a good amount of choice time, 1/4 has some after finishing work and doing corrections, but I do have some kids who just never get any choice time on Fridays because they have so many incomplete assignments or corrections.

I have done this system for the last two years, and it really works. It is motivating to know they should finish their work well and quickly so they have the extra choice time on Friday.

My kids don't have a lot of paper work either:

- Math Workshop produces maybe 4-5 sheets a week, and we correct a lot in class.
    - Spelling Test
    - Spelling practice activity
    - once in awhile, a reading comprehension or Time For Kids activity
    - science sheets from FOSS when we have them

They have writing and math journals, so a lot of the work is in there, and I check that daily as they do it.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 24, 2011

I call the kids to my desk every morning to check HW while they do morning work. I am not sure this is the most effective method because sometimes, especially if they had math, and hw books, and their reading logs are due, it feels like it takes an especially long time. I have often contemplated having them put it on their desks as they do morning work, but they have particularly small desks, and consequently limited working space, so I envision lots of papers falling. But, maybe I will try that out to see how it goes.

As far as in class work, sometimes I check it right there on the spot and give a participation grade. But, whatever assignment it is, I ask them to raise their hand if they finished, and those who did not I go to and collect their work and put it with the outgoing hw for the day. The finished work goes into the in-box, which gets checked daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I do not like their work to pile up because it is much too much easy to drown in all their work if it is not constantly looked at.