How do you collaborate?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs Teacher, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

This may seem like a dumb question.... But I'm curious how you collaborate. I've struggled with working with a grade level team because I've always created lessons and planned units based on my specific student needs. I've used entrance and exit slips multiple times daily and that guides my decision making for upcoming lessons. When I sit on planning meetings with the other 2 teachers I'm stuck on how to contribute or benefit from the time because their needs are different than mine.

Care to share what collaboration looks like for you?? Thanks :)

3. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 23, 2015

One way that we would collaborate at my last school was (depending on the subject area), we would first see areas that our whole grade was struggling in and plan some lessons/activities together. Sometimes if say, class A was generally doing very well in a specific area, but class B and C were struggling, we would have teacher A share some of the activities and things she may have been doing, that class B and C could do to achieve the same success as class A.

We've also gotten together before the start of a new unit and brought some ideas of different activities/centers, etc. that we planned to do with our class and shared with the team. Each teacher would share, and other teachers would determine if it was something they felt would benefit their students and use it if they wanted.

4. teachinjax

teachinjax Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

What SCteacher said is true. We also use planning meetings and they can be very helpful! Look for similarities between the needs of your students and the needs of theirs. Perhaps you guys can plan a book study together or you can create resources that you can share? There are a lot of ways you can make this work in your favor.