How do you choose chaperones?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherC, Oct 10, 2009.

1. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

We are going on a field trip in 2 weeks, and one parent had called the school to ask about chaperoning, so I told her no problem, we were happy to have her help, etc. Then, at open house, I had about 5 more parents ask if they can go! I can only take 2, and I don't want to hurt any feelings, but this is going to be a difficult decision! Should I just pull a name out of a hat or should I pick the parent of a child who I know needs extra supervision?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

If you have to limit, I think I'd pick the two that you think would honestly do the best job. I'm not sure I'd necessarily pick the parent of a child who you think might have issues, because often children do better without their parents there.

All other things being equal, then I'd pick the first two who talked to me about it.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 10, 2009

Tell the parents you can only take two, but find out if you can bring more if they are willing to pay their own way and drive separately. They may want to do that.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 10, 2009

Honestly, I pick who I know will help me the most. However, I tell parents that I drew names out of the hat. I do try to divide it equally when possible. Our school makes a point to have at least one field trip where there is no limit on the number of chaperones.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 10, 2009

We let as many parents come as want to if they pay their own way and drive themselves. If I have to officially choose a certain number, I usually choose the parents that ask me first unless there is a reason I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them supervise a group on their own.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

Hmmmm...I will have find out if they mind driving separately. Thankfully, it won't cost them anything, the kids just get to pick a pumpkin and do little things on the farm, so they wouldn't have to pay to go.
    I do feel bad picking one parent over the other though- I hate having to limit our chaperones!

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 10, 2009

This is the way I also do it. We have a limit to ride the bus and then any field trips we had to buy tickets for, a play for example. The parents understand. There are some who always volunteer and I've asked those in the past to maybe let someone else have a turn-they've always been amenable to this.

Our P is trying to make a 2 parent limit on all field trips-I just don't think he understands early childhood education and how difficult it is to corral everybody. To me the more the merrier!

9. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Oct 10, 2009

I always send home an info sheet in advance of the trip asking if anyone would like to chaperone and that I can only take 3 so I will pick parent volunteers at random. Then the next trip, I make sure if I have more than 3 volunteers, I choose 3 different parents.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2009

I try to take everyone possible, even if they have to drive themselves. If I really only could take 2, I'd pick the two I could depend on the most for real help, not for using the time to socialize.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2009

I take my room moms. I also will admit to 'selectively' pulling names from a hat. Last year I had 2 great room moms and one nightmare one. I took the nightmare one on ONE quickie trip and the other two on the longer 'all day' kind of trips. Funny how the names came out of the hat that way. :whistle:

12. Rainbows23

Rainbows23 Rookie

Oct 10, 2009

pick out of a hat...or at least tell them you did...

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 11, 2009

I agree - as long as the place doesn't have a limit I just have them drive and pay separately... if there is a limit, I am honest about only being able to pick one or two and pick those that I know will be most helpful to me and not just have their kid on their lap the entire time (so not helpful). :)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2009

Check with your administration about parents driving themselves to a field trip. In some cases the school could be held liable in case of an accident. Also, if parents are driving, check the school policy on kids in their cars...sometimes a parent will want to drive their own kid back to school or home after a field trip and their could be issues there as well.

15. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

Pick the ones with the best behaved children. ;) There is a reason their children are well behaved!

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2009

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will check about parents driving their own cars tomorrow, then let everyone know on Wednesday who the parents will be that can come with us- I'm thinking that I will just bring the first two parents that asked (they are both good parents) and tell the rest that hopefully we will be able to take the them on the spring field trip. I wish we could take all the parents, the smaller groups the better! :)

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2009

What happens if the place you are going requires more chaperones then that? Most places I've been ask for 1 chaperone for every 10 students. I don't take a group, I need to be available in case there's a problem. (Or to take a child that isn't behaving.)

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2009

I would love to not have to take a group!! We also have a 1 adult to 10 kids rule, but I can be one of the adults. I'm happy that if I get to take just 2 chaperones then I can split my 19 into groups of 6/7 and not have a whole 10!

19. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 13, 2009

It depends on the field trip and if I need drivers. If we take the bus, I prefer only one or two other chaperones. If we have to drive, I usually need 4 or 5 (so many cars will only fit 3 students with seat belts-and we can't have anyone up front due to the air bags). Our county policy is that if it is a public place that the parent could go to anyway, they are allowed to "meet us there".

20. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Oct 17, 2009

At my school we have great parent participation, so I use the lottery system. I put all the names in a hat and pick however many chaperones I need.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 19, 2009

We don't allow parents to ride the bus here. At my old school if a parent did not ride the bus they were not allow to be a chaperone. We had to limit because of space on the bus.