How do you check homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Sep 30, 2016.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 30, 2016

I am looking for a fast, convenient way to check homework. Students have one sheet of homework for science that is completed throughout the week and turned in on Friday - 4th grade!

1. I was going to have my students put their homework in their homeroom bin (we're departmentalized).
    2. Check-off their name when they turn it in. That way I know who did and who didn't have homework.
    They are allowed to turn their homework in early, if they want.

Thoughts?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2016

If you're just meaning the check-off part, I have them turn in all work into a turn in box (in a portable with 28 students, so space is extremely limited), and then one of the students has a job as paper sorter, from which I'll check things off. Work that I need to correct (i.e. assessments) or at least glance at (all homework), I'll then put in a spot at my kidney table for me to look through. If we're correcting the HW as a class in the morning, I'll go around and stamp homework, so I know when they turn it in who had it done on time.

When I subbed, I saw a variety of systems, from this, to having a student with a clipboard going around to each desk and checking it off...and many more.

4. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Oct 1, 2016

I also do a homework bin (we are departmentalized-I do math and science). I usually just quickly count and see if I'm missing anyone's, and if I am I will read off names and have them put their hand down when I call their name. Probably not the best use of time, but it takes about 3 minutes one day per week. It's less of a headache for me then paper checklists :) I just put a sticky note on the stack if I'm missing someone's. Then, I have a clip on the wall by my door where I put kiddo's assignments who need to finish/redo, and I pass them out when time allows (or they take it to learning lunch if it's a consequence for not being prepared, etc).

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2016

I am not a big believer in homework. I give out one sheet a week that has the snap words, a math idea to do at home (ex: using anything at home, make quantities of 1-10) where they draw what they did, and that's it. They are expected to read for 50 minutes a week, but it's not "homework", just a healthy habit. I will check off the sheets on Friday when they are turned in, but I don't keep track of who has brought them in and who hasn't. Research just doesn't support the benefit of homework, so I don't put my time and effort there.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 5, 2016

Personally, I like to have them hand it all in at one time. That way, I know who handed it in. I can go to their groups, collect and count the papers, and immediately know if an assignment wasn't turned in. Alternatively, sometimes I have them hold up their papers so I can see they have it.

I have had bins in previous years and this current method works much better for me. It eliminates the whole "but I turned it in!" excuse. I clip the pile when I'm done collecting them.

I grade solely for completion.