How do you calm your students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 20, 2007

How do you calm your students? I can't seem to be able to calm down my students. It might be because of the holiday approaching but anyone have any tips on how to? I have tried reading a short story book after they have recess.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2007

I play classical music for them when they come in from recess and/or specials.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2007

This works like a charm....begin making a list of "good workers" on the board or chart....they all quite down and start working....they yearn to have thier name on the board for being good.....

5. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Nov 20, 2007

I've done table points in years past. The quiest/cleanest tables earn points and at the end of the given time frame (a few weeks) the winning table got to eat lunch in the classroom with me. I would play fun music and have a special treat for desert for them too. They loved it!

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 20, 2007

Partial lights out & quiet music & water fountain - very zen. :D

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Nov 20, 2007

Model what you'd like to see: Use an extremely calm voice, talk a little more slowly, this sets a more calm tone for your students.

Often , when I see my stsudents getting "hyper" or just way to silly for the lesson, I notice that they are getting these vibes from me - maybe i was rushing through the lesson because I was short on time, maybe I was frazzled from a recent incident, mabybe a student caught me by surprise... students notice the change in my tone or sense that i got just a little bit more tense/rushed, and i see it in their behavior.

I'm not implying that you do these things, just commenting on what I noticed 'bout myself. A little introspection never hurt anyone. :)

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 20, 2007

I play calm music first thing in the morning when they come in. When they are getting to wild, I also sometimes do a breathing technique with them. You breathe in to the count of five, hold for the count of five, release your breath for the count of five. I do this 3-5 times and it works every time. I also sometimes have them run a lap around the building. It's a good de-stressor and gets out energy. We also almost always do the breathing when they come back in.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2007

lights off, soft music, heads down..don't run around doing anything(they will be too distracted by what you are doing)..I sit too.

at least five minutes..

even hyper ones will rest for 1 minute...

well..maybe half minute :(

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 20, 2007

Our traffic light system seems to be working because when 1-2 get moved then they all stop that behavior. Lots of SPECIFIC praise for students doing the right thing. Mostly though for holiday times we think about transitions and how to fill in the time if one is finished early and keep them BUSY with fun yet educational holiday stuff and if we have to kick in important but boring stuff, we make sure it's at the right time of the day. After recess we have problems with the kids for the next class period. We had to revise how they come in AND we have to supervise it more closely and start on time/ on task quickly so they don't start socializing to the point of no return. Know what times need to be more structured and which times you can let them work more independently.

11. k1m

k1m Rookie

Nov 21, 2007

I play some calming music and have 20mins silent reading. Works a treat at the crazy times of year.
    Sometimes I also have a very structured handwriting lesson, that settles them down really well. Not as interesting as reading though.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 21, 2007

What a good point! I bet I'm guilty of this one. :whistle: I only see my kids once a week & sometimes I feel that I have so much to get through. I bet some of my fast pacing/ rushing rubs off on them. Thank you! :D

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 21, 2007

My teacher didn't like that one of the students rushed through everything. So I did the assignment along with him. Instead of telling him how to do it all up front and letting him go (which I do need to do most of the time for independent skills), I started doing a step and telling him to do it with me. He did MUCH better.

14. RickyHo

RickyHo New Member

Nov 21, 2007

The ways I do to calm down students are playing soft music and reading a short and exciting story to them.....I think those are simple ways to do.....

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2007

I'm probably missing the point, but I assume your kids are anxious, moving around the classroom, and talking, etc....

If this is the case I tell everyone to return to their seats, turn towards me, and focus on my eyes..... I then tell them what my expectations are...... I believe the "look" and the "tone" gets through......

I've never understood why (or when) teachers lost control of the classroom..... :(:(

Major......:):)

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 21, 2007

For an instant calm/attention getter I turn out all the lights (must have windows in your room) and stand there until they are calm, seated and looking at me. Then I turn on the lights and explain my expectations very firm and very clearly. If they listen then I go on with good classroom management after that paying attention to nipping things in the bud and transition. If they didn't listen (within the first few minutes) then I repeat turning off the lights and explain that we can't move on until they calm down, etc.

17. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Nov 23, 2007

Just the other day I used a method similar to one suggested; write down the names of a few kids who were being good workers. It backfired at me; one student became very very upset and started yelling. It took a lot of talking to convince her that not everyone who was being good was on the board and that if your name was not on the board that meant you were being bad.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2007

well, with special ed...

it's easy to see

any change brings chaos

space is good, but too much makes them anxious - they will run around too much

not enough makes us anxious

I saw first hand, that ANY change in my little class makes them go totally beserk.

19. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Nov 28, 2007

My pleasure! I know what its like - we plan and plan and have so much fantastic stuff to teach, we sometimes want to cram it in, hoping we can bypass the fact that these are kids... not robots. took me a while to realixe how mch they are affected by my mood/tone.... But its worth taking into account. Hope things are going well for you!

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 28, 2007

I calm them by talking in a calm voice myself. I have really worked on this over the past few weeks, especially, and it's had a positive effect. I also give them times for relaxation, like when I read novels or let them silent read. Since the Christmas tree is up, I may turn off the lights and turn on the lights of the tree so they can really relax when they read or I read later today.

I needed to talk about CALM... I just finished a 60-hour ESOL class!!!

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2007

I got a (town) crier!

Well I have a crierand screamer! Actually two. (the other one calms himself) But one can turn himself on and off. But once he is on, he will stand there, and blast out your ear drums until you figure out what the heck he wants. Whether or not you decide to give in is not the issue.. Just trying to calm him down, and getting him to shut up! :rolleyes:

any thoughts here? He is 4. I know he can stop instantly, but he will just start back. circle time and transitions are the worst!! I have closed my door, ignored him, everything. I am losing my hearing!