How do you call an extention from classroom phone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DreamerSeeker, Oct 1, 2019.

1. DreamerSeeker

DreamerSeeker Rookie

Oct 1, 2019

I know this is dumb, that's why I'm avoiding asking anyone at school in-person.

I haven't needed to yet, but if I ever do need to call an extension number from the classroom wall phone, how would I do it?

Thank you in advance for any help.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 1, 2019

Generally, you simply dial the extension (generally 4 digits). Now that I have said that, trust me when I say that you should ask the teacher in the room next to you (either side) to be sure that a stranger is even close to giving the right answer!

otterpop and bella84 like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2019

Ask a neighbour or the office; every phone system may be set up differently.

bella84 likes this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 2, 2019

I imagine it'd be different in every school or district so you'd have to ask a co-worker. In mine, they changed the system a couple times over the last 4-5 years. It's a lot more simpler now!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 2, 2019

We have a phone list with the extensions listed. Is your phone something fancy that it's hard to figure out??

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 3, 2019

I agree with the above, it depends on the phone. More than likely, you just dial the numbers for that extension, but that brings up a question I've been thinking of. Often to dial an outside line, you need to dial 9 first. I've wondered, in an unforeseen emergency, if a student, a parent, or a visitor needed to dial 911, would they know to dial 9 first. Normally, a teacher would be nearby to take over the situation, but what if the emergency incapacitated any teachers from assisting? Or for even a teacher, sometimes a fearful situation can cause short term memory loss which could delay the teacher remembering to dial the 9 prior to 911.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 3, 2019

We can't call out from our classroom phones. Even with using 9. We have to call the switchboard to make the call for us (if anyone is manning the switchboard). That's why I hardly ever call parents. It's too much of a hassle when email is quicker.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 3, 2019

Pick up the receiver. If you hear a dial tone, simply dial the extension. If you don't hear a dial tone, then look for a button at the top of the phone. There may be more than one. Push one and then you should hear the dial tone. Then dial the extension number.

Hope that helps.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2019

I think school phones are different. Can you ask for a list of extensions? Then ask a neighbor what number it is that you need to dial out. You might find out that the phone system is a bit whacko. For yrs, you could only hear anyone if you had ours on speaker phone. IDK why, but I'd have never guessed if I hadn't asked. It really is important enough to ask.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 5, 2019

Let's face it - phone are different school to school, and sometimes different between buildings within the same school.
    Rule #1. Ask an experienced teacher in your building how the phone works.
    Rule #2: Read the teacher handbook or staff manual
    Rule #3: Dial 0 and ask the operator

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2019

Rule #4: Pick the phone up and start trying random numbers and see what happens ;)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 5, 2019

Yeah, there's always a math person in the mix who is willing to bet on number sense - you know, the numbers know what we want even if we use them poorly! :cool: