How do you build relationship/rapport with disengaged and/or challenging students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Mar 4, 2015.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Mar 4, 2015

I have several of them and am just brainstorming.

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 4, 2015

Check out the resources at Whole Brain Teaching. Download the free ebook (under ebook tab at the top) called Industrial Strength Whole Brain Teaching.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

I don't let anything they say bother me and I never hold "grudges". FoR example- if a kid walks out of class I will be just as bright and cheery when I see them the next day. I'm also very polite. Challenging kids usually have issues with people in control, so if I need to correct someone I do it very nicely. Ex- "hey how you doing today? How are your classes? So you know you're not supposed to be on your phone, right?"

5. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Mar 5, 2015

Sometimes you won't be able to. That's just because every kid is different, and when one person cannot build a relationship anothe might be able to.

But I think a very important way to connect is to learn about the STUDENT. What they like, what they feel, what they do well. And what they DON'T like. I sometimes think that we tend to forget that just because students are YOUNG, they are people too, and have opinions and likes and dislikes.

In one class I subbed for there was a boy who was not very respectful and who seemed to just ignore what was going on in class. He DID finish his assignend work, but then sort of tuned out. I noticed that he had with him a notebook that he had pretty well filled with drawings. And I noticed that it was almost full. I noticed that when he dropped the book when gathering his things to be dismissed. He had been acting sort of sullen throughout the class period.

But I stopped him when he was leaving, asked about his drawings and asked if he had othe journals to draw in. He said he didn't have one. I had an extra notebook in my briefcase, and gave it to him for his drawings. That kid's face lit up like a Christmas tree. So for that little space of time we connected. I told him about my father, who was a commercial artist, and he actually talked to me with some enthusiasm. I like to think that I connected, if only for a moment.

Other times I look over the lesson plan the regular teacher has left for me, and try to think of something I know personally that is on topic, and might get the students attention. A couple of things I have talked about are big snakes in Florida, giant spiders, how scary it must have been for our immigrant ancestors to cross the ocean looking for a better life, the colony collapse disorder of honey bees, why it is important to learn math so you are not cheated at the store, that EVERYONE is a taxpayer, even the youngest person (buying something and paying tax) and othe topics that fit in with what is being studoed in the class. When I am able to come up with such ideas I ALWAYS connect with the kids.

I have even showed kids how to feel their pulse, and why it is important to have a cool-down after PE. AND that time I actually saw one of my students showing another student how to feel her pulse, outside after dismissal. So, I not only got that kids attention, but I made her a 'teacher' herself!

The only way to get involved with the kids is to be involved yourself.