How do you begin your preschool day?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bonneb, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 29, 2012

What does the first half hour of your day look like?

I've tried beginning with a check in routine and circle time, then switched to check in and choice time. The students have matured some and I really prefer to begin the day with a good morning gathering, so I am considering going back to the check in and circle.

I am an experienced primary teacher who is brand new to preschool so I would sure welcome your comments.

3. Loony

Loony Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

Actually my first activity is the computers center, which I'm not happy about as the computer center is right smack in the middle of the school and children and parents are walking in at the time, but I don't get a choice in this so I've learned to just deal with it.

Once we're in the classroom though, my children gather at the carpet for circle time. We do the pledge of allegiance/Star Spangled banner, take attendance, talk about days of the week, months, colors, shapes, singing, etc. Many times they ask what we are learning that day or we just talk about upcoming events.

4. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

My preschoolers get off the bus, they put away their things in their cubbies and go to the carpet. They can take out some carpet toys while we wait for both buses and getting coats and folders and things together (this is only 5-10 mins depending on buses). Then we clean up and sing two welcoming songs, spell our names (as a transition) to go eat breakfast or lunch.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

What works for you and your children is the best choice. The only suggestion I have is to have as few transitions as possible.

6. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Dec 1, 2012

They come in, hang up belongings at their cubbies, and have limited choice time until school officially starts. Then it's circle/morning meeting time.

7. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Dec 3, 2012

We do breakfast, journal time, circle, centers, outside play