How do you attach name labels to their desks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Jul 13, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

I posted this on the Kindergarten site too .... but thought i would post here as well....

I saw the idea on Kelly's Kindergarten webpage to use tongue depressors with their name and velcro. But I would like to have something a little more decorative and 'educational' so I bought the name strips with the alphabet on them. What's the best way to attach them? Packing tape? What happens when you need to change the seating arrangement b/c certain kids don't sit well next to each other?

3. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I have never found a solution that I was happy with. I have desks in my room, so moving name plates is not an issue. MY issue is how the kids pick them off during the year and how messy they are tp get of desks at the end of the year. This year I bought the self adhesive ones from really good stuff that promise to come off easily at the end of the year. We'll see...

4. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

I use clear contact paper to "seal them" to the desk/surface area. Make sure that you round the edges as they are harder to peel up and roll.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Educational name tags.... that begs a question of mine.

having been a teacher, a mom, student-taught and Subbed, I've seen a LOT of desk name tags in my life. The ones that have the alphabet on them (printing or cursive) I like...and i see them as a help.

But when they have number grids and multiplication grids on them... i tend to notice that they are used as a crutch to struggling students (and then the struggle is to break them of the crutch). Opinions?

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Ooooo that might help! Thanks!

(I too hate the peeling up the corners...and the corners get dirty, and it looks terrible.
    As a person with ADD, myself, I have to judge things on would this work with ME as a child? Peelable corners would have been ruined very quickly....along with my attention span.)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I offer a pizza snack at Christmas and at the end of the year for those who have nametags in good shape. this has worked great for me. kids were really protective of their tags. i laminated them and use 2 pieces of velcro dots to attach. That's it. It worked great! it really had more to do with teaching them and motivating them to keep it in good order.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

hundreds charts are helpful and not a crutch.Hundred chart is a tool. But I agree that multiplication charts are too much.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

I had second graders who couldn't add or subtract without counting on the grid. If not a crutch, it was ... limiting.

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 13, 2009

I use contact paper. It goes on and comes off smoothly. I just use plain name tags w/o info. They are just for me anyway. When I learn their names I take them off. This usually happens after Christmas.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

I'm grade 2- I laminate the name tags and then attach with wide clear tape...I've also used clear contact paper. I don't move name tags when I re-arrange seating- I move desks so the name tag goes with!!

My name tags have a number line on them- I see it as a tool, not a crutch..Kids who use a number line to count and figure out math problems are still working at a very concrete level...If they didn't have the number line, they'd be counting on their fingers, or drawing dots, or using a 'touch math' kind of strategy- and truthfully they don't all know how to count on their fingers efficiently...Sure, we want them to take ownership of their 'math facts', but in the meantime the number line is there on their name tags when they need it.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

This is how I did it as well.

13. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 13, 2009

I have done them this way, also, but the last couple of years I have made name plates and run them off on magnetic paper. I like to have the name plates on the front of the desks, so that guest speakers or subs to our room can see each child's name from the front of the room....there is a lot of power in knowing a child's name! :D

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

I have always laminated & then used clear packing tape. The 2 velcro piece idea is tempting (I do love velcro). I am afraid the kids will pick it up/adjust it all of the time. Anyone have problems with that?

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I agree 100%. As adults we use tools everyday. We must teach kids that there are many tools that can help us and how to use those tools. This allows them to work smarter, not harder.

Now I am not saying that we shouldn't teach math facts. I do because math fluency is important. But taking a hundreds chart or a number line away, in and of itself, doesn't help improve their fluency. Personally if a kid can figure out a way to solve a problem that works for them I'll be damned if I tell them no only do it my way.

16. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

I tried velcro for the first time this past year and....I LOVED IT!!! I laminated the nameplates, wrote the names in sharpie, then attached with velcro. Every single student still had their nametag intact by the end of the year WITH the original names I had written on them visible! I didn't have any issues with kids playing with the velcro, etc.

This was a great solution for tables and I highly recommend!

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2009

I have laminated them and used wide, clear tape (in spades!), and still gone through several sets in one year. I like the idea of the velcro dots, but (based on last year's "little angels") they'd be playing with them all day, driving me to distraction! I also like the idea of magnetizing them and putting them on the front of the desks, but in first grade, we often have to: arrange our desks in table groups, where the fronts are butted up against each other; OR turn the desks of particular children around so that the opening faces AWAY from the child (to limit playing in the desks, etc.). Any suggestions?

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

Why are you all laminating if you are covering with packing tape?

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

Interestingly, we used Barbisol (cheapest) shaving cream to clean the tackiness off the desks. It worked great, and had a little minty smell, too. The tackiness was from the clear contact paper I used to put the nametags on.

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

Side note, don't invest in those sleeves that you put the big name tags in. They adhere to the desk but the the kids just pick at those. One of the teachers had them on our team.

I like the idea of having a little prize for kids who keep their tags nice.

21. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I have used these for years. They really do come off well, but the kids still pick at them and they look bad pretty quickly.:(

Also, when you clean the desks, the color sometimes comes off and the tags look faded.

22. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I have used nametags with multiplication charts on them for years. I don't see it as a crutch; I am not teaching multiplication. When I teach how to find least common multiples or how to multiply fractions, that is the skill I am teaching.

Having said that I don't teach multiplication, I do give a timed test every day. Even the kids who are using the charts learn the facts eventually.

I find that the kids who use them at the beginning of the year don't by about Christmas.

I do cover them up or remove them for standardized testing; I wonder if that's unfair to the kids who are still using them by then? Maybe I am doing them a disservice.

23. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

This velcro idea is very intriguing!!! I may have to try that in 1st grade this year!! I love new things!! :p

In Kindergarten I always laminated my name tags and hot glued them down! It was the only thing that the kids didn't rip off right away. To get the hot glue off the tables I just used a razor and it slid right off!

24. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 13, 2009

I tried the velcro with my first graders last year...and all i would hear is the velcro sound all day...the kids would play with them and it seems to be more of a distraction. Since there is a small space between the nametag and table the kids seems to play with them more!

25. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I use the ones that have number lines on them and left and right hands on them. I find the number line very useful for first grade. I cover them with wide clear packing tape and make it very clear that the nametags are to stay on the desks but I do still have a few that pick at them. i just tape them again.

26. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 13, 2009

I might try the little magnetic stickers ....they are thin...i have tables and like to switch seats 1 every 9 weeks....

as far as the name tags go...i use type up my own on the computer..i have the alphabet on top of the name, the name in the middle, and a number line under the name. i print them all on cardstock...usually I use packing tape to tape it down.

27. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I tried the self adhesive ones this year, they still left an icky mess on my desks. I finally resorted to writing their name in visa-vee or sharpie markers in the upper right hand corner of the desk.

Be careful of using the name tags with info on them. Take them off for standardized testing. We had a teacher at my school whose students had to come in over the summer and retake the CRCT because she had left them on with the multiplication charts and a number line. Major trouble ensued for her even though the principal and vice-principal as well as all the other grade level teachers came in to check her room like we do for all the different rooms. None of them spotted them but she was still in trouble.

28. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

For sure go the laminate and velcro route! I even print their names out on sticky labels (I don't like my handwriting) put them on the name plate laminate, velcro. Takes a little time at first, but it really does last all year!

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

Am I missing something here?

30. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jul 13, 2009

We aren't allowed to put tape on ANY surface in our school! I laminate the name tags and use rubber cement to glue them down. During the year I continue to glue down the corners but it's a quick fix. This works really well for MOST students.

31. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

i never had a problem with velcro. I had the discussion with my kids at the beginning of the year though, so.......They knew they were in trouble if I heard velcro. I was very explicit in my expectations.

I also offer a pizza snack for those able to keep their This is with 8 diagnosed ADHD boys (the 2 that removed the tags were ADHD - 6 of them managed to keep the tags).

32. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

on the other nametag thread someone suggested just putting them down with sticky tack. I think I could make this work - same as velcro. I may have 1 or 2 borrow some sticky tack (although it'd be easy to spot who). I think this would be a great, non-messy way to do nametags. I would obviously laminate first.

33. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

Photo album

I had tables in my room the last three years and I was always have students move. They moved every two weeks. Instead of having them retape their nametags, I finally got smart the second year and searched for pockets big enough to fit index cards in. I couldn't find any the right size and found an old photo album with a page large enough for four pictures. I cut the page apart and slid their names in. We taped the nametags on three sides and when a student had to switch seats they slid out their name and moved to a new home.

I found that Staples had name badge holders like what we might get at a conference (but I didn't want to spend that much money).

This year I will laminate my name tags and scotch tape the edges. I usually have to replace name tags half way through the year.

One year I wrote the students names on the tables. We had a cleaner called "Graffiti Remover" it stunk like crazy but removed the writing if it wasn't worn off by the end of the year.

34. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I have struggled with this for so long! I have only used name 'tents' for the last few years. That way they can be moved easily (since we have tables, they have to move their nametag) and can be taken off the table when we clean or need the space. It also allows to me to write their name in print on one side and cursive on the other.

35. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I agree ... I think I'm going to go this route!

THANKS EVERYONE WHO REPLIED!

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

I have name plates they can get out of a bin to use. For seating assignments I tape their names to the backs of their chairs. That way I can move them around the room and not worry about peeling the name off the table.

37. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I put packing tape on both ends of the name tag.

38. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I use contact paper on the desks too. A tip I learned that worked well for my substitutes- I had 2 sets of name plates. Plain for the FRONT of the desk (so the subs could see the names) and more decorative (to go with my theme) on the top for the students. I like the idea of the incentive. It will go along with my visits from the "desk fairy" ;)

39. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

My ADD kids would have the sticky tack removed and playing with it. I struggled with sticky tack missing from posters 1/2 way through the year. I pretty much know who was to "blame" though I could never catch them in the act. ;) I may try the velcro dots this year. At least on the top of the desk. (see my other post about tags on the front).

40. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I have used nametags purchased at a teacher store and attached with either packing tape or contact paper. I have used the self-adhesive nametags (I had to replace many times).

Last year, I bought nametags and the sleeves to put them in. I ended up writing their name and number on their desk with a Sharpie and I used the nametags in their "cubby". (I teach 4th grade.) It isn't the "cutest" idea but it works. We used Whiteboard cleaner to remove at the end of the year. I will probably do the same thing this year.

41. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

contact paper

I also use contact paper. It has been the best solution that I have found, because contact paper doesn't leave any marks. It's also easy to move if needed. Of course, half way through the year they are usually all picked off by the kids, but that happens no matter how I've put them on. I just usually have to do new ones after a while.