How do YOU assess reading fluency?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by CDOR79, Mar 22, 2012.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Mar 22, 2012

Just wondering what everyone does to test the fluency of their students. Other than having them read one on one (I'm assuming you do that) is there a "grading" sheet you have or something?

Looking for different ideas!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2012

We use the Aimsweb passages to test reading fluency. I do circle missed punctuation and repeats.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 10, 2012

I'm taking a reading course right now. I am not sure if there is a test for fluency (specifically). However the DRA2 looks at fluency and how a student is reading in general. You can use a running record to determine fluency if you time the student.

This is the break down I've seen before (WPM is words per minute)
    Grade 1: 80 wpm
    Grade 2: 90 wpm
    Grade 3: 110 wpm
    Grade 4: 140 wpm
    Grade 5: 160 wpm
    Grade 6: 180 wpm

In google I typed in "formula for reading fluency" a lot of sites came up. Also try "reading fluency" and more sites come up.

http://www.ldonline.org/article/6354/ explains "A student's reading rate may be calculated by dividing the number of words read correctly by the total amount of reading time." This site also breaks wpm a bit more.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/reading/bestpractices/assessment/3t4oralcalc.htm and http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/oral-fluency-assessment-calculator-grades-3-5

Try googling "reading fluency calculator" too for other sites.

There is quite a few sites, they may help you find an assessment you are looking for.

When I assess fluency I usually use the DRA. I sometimes look at fluency in a running record, but just general on how student is phrasing. Not as formal as timing students.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 10, 2012

I might start with what benchmark scores you are planning on using to interpret the scores, then consider what procedures were used regarding those benchmarks. For example, if you are going to compare your students' scores to DRA scores, you'd want to use DRA procedures. If you are planning on comparing scores to AIMSweb benchmarks, you'd want to use those procedures.

If you don't have any benchmarks you are planning to use, I'd start with identifying a system that has good benchmarks. AIMSwebs & DIBELS are too of the best, with DIBELS being more accessible since AIMSweb is a paid product.

6. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 11, 2012

dra 2 is really good. and it measures how they improve over time.

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Apr 12, 2012

Wow...those calculators are great! I love that it has comments already at the end too. Great tool!

As for those programs, I nor does my school have the money right now to purchase them so I need to come up with my own system. The only thing that concerns me now is this will be the first time all year that I am "testing" them. So I can't show what progress they've made throughout the year, if any. This is my first year in third grade! So I'm wondering if I should still do this and send home the results to their parents. I'm just afraid they're going to turn around and ask why this is being done now and it's already April!

8. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 12, 2012

Well i dont think it would be just to track progress over time. When I did student teaching in 4th grade, the classroom teacher did her own reading fluency checks.
    All she did was ask the students to have some time reading silently, then she would call over students to read 1 or 2 pages out loud to her. She would listen for speed, and whether the student heeded the punctuation etc..... She would then record her observations on small forms she already had made.
    It wasn't a very measurable way (ie you won't have data, numbers etc) but it was a good way to keep track easily.
    She would also ask the students after to tell her what that page was about, just to check comprehension of what they had just read.

9. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 12, 2012

She would probably do 4-5 per day, and spread it out over the week. don't know if that is the kind of thing you are looking for or not....

10. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Apr 14, 2012

That's a great idea too. I like that it's informal.

I just found out that we do belong to readinga-z.com and they have great templates for testing fluency! So I think I'll be using that this week. Now I just have to figure out what to give them to stay busy while I'm testing the others! lol