How do you arrange tutoring payment?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Aug 12, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

For those who tutor without an agency how do you arrange payment?

Do they pay you before hand or after each session? By check or cash?

I have heard some horror stories about parents who never paid their tutor or would give a check that would bounce. (yes this really happened)

How can I prevent this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

I tutor about ten hours a week. Most families pay me after each session, on my way out the door. Occasionally someone won't have exact change and overpays by $10 which I apply to the next week. I have one client that pays me monthly...her checks are good. Another family (a bit of a disorganized household, but lovely family) sometimes pays me the day I tutor, if not they'll pay me the next time. Most of my clients pay in cash. I have checks made out to 'cash'. I keep track of my appointments, hours and payments in my DayTimer.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

When I tutored in college I was paid at the beginning of each session. Most clients paid in cash, although I did accept checks from one client.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

My clients also pay at the beginning of the session. I would accept checks, but the first time one bounced, it was cash only. I explained this to parents prior to tutoring their child.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

Do you make some kind of contract?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2011

I don't but I can imagine having it be necessary if you're worried someone won't pay.

I write up a bill at the end of the month and give it to the parents. it states that payment is due by the 15th of the month. So, for January tutoring I might have tutored 8 times, which would be $400. They have until the 15th of February to pay me. It works well for me and people almost always pay by the 10th of the month.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

I didn't. I could see wanting a contract to outline what happens in the event of a no-show or last-minute cancellation, though, or in cases where your client pays for several sessions at once. It might also be worth having something in the contract about the projected length of the tutoring services, anything from "as-needed" to "until the end of the school year" or whatever.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2011

I've had various arrangements in the past. It also may depend on how well you know the parents. For summer tutoring, which took place at my old school, I sent home a note asking for four sessions payment in advance. During the school year, I kept track of what the student owed and gave it to the parent after a few sessions. In students' homes, either the parent pays each time or I keep track of what is owed. I've even had one parent in the past who would give me $1000 and tell me when it was used up! Wish I could find someone like that these days.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

I never had a contract, just a verbal agreement.

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

Anything else I need to know? Tips?

This is the first time I have tutored a family I am not familiar with at all. They found me word of mouth.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2011

If you'll be doing it in a place where they need to pick up the child, make sure they understand that they HAVE to be on time to pick him/her up. I've had parents come 20 mins late and I was not happy. I now charge that family for another hour of tutoring if they're not there on time to pick him up.

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

Good thinking. I think dad will stay with the child for pick up. The only problem I am having is they want me to tutor at night. Like 6-7 or 7-8.

I don't want to but mom works in the day and I need the money.

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2011

When I tutor, I tutor one child from 4-5 and then another child from 5-6, twice a week. I know of other people who do it at the library and some people do it on the weekends. I know I couldn't do it, but some people do.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2011

I take checks, but always have the "if a check bounces, then I will only accept cash" conversation.

My families pay me once a week, after the last session for the week (so if I tutor Tues/Thurs, they pay me Thursday).

One family this summer asked if I'd take cash for the whole summer up front - that was awesome, because it gave me a nice chunk of extra money!

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

Wow! Money up front would be wonderful.
    I meet with the family Monday so I will tell them about the payment needing to be on the same day and I would prefer cash.