How do you arrange desks in third grade?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teacher_cc, Aug 7, 2008.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I'm really leaning towards groups of 6; I love cooperative learning. But I'm not sure if the traditional rows are better for 3rd grade, especially w/ all the testing that's done. How do you all arrange your desks?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

When I taught third I had them in clusters of 4. Anything more than 4 or 5 was too noisy. We are not allowed to have rows in my school (so silly).

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

I start out with clusters of 4 or 5. Then we may go to pairs or rows. I've done a horseshoe shape before. I almost always have kids that sit by themselves, as they work better that way or because they push their desks.

I put them in rows when it's time for the state testing. Otherwise the kids put up folders.

My biggest problem is that the desks move. My front row can end up against the wall if I don't keep pushing it back!

5. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I use Kagan Cooperative Learning on a regular basis. The best desk set up for me is groupings of 4. This is the most convenient way to do CL structures without extra moving around.

6. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I have mine in groups of 4-6. We aren't allowed to have rows either until testing. I also like the horseshoe and pairs.

7. Lady D

Lady D Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I always start the year with groups of 4-6 depending on the number of students that I have. Each marking period I rearrange the seating to give students the opportunity to to get to know and work with other students in the class.

8. wrigleyroo

wrigleyroo Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I just went to a Kagan workshop this summer and set my desks up last week in groups of 4. It's hard when you have 30 kids in a classroom because of space, but I am excited to try some of the structures. I also move them during testing, but rarely move away from table groups.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I had groups of 4-5 most of the year, but I found that at the beginning of the year they need to sit in rows until they can learn to be quiet. Our beginning of the year groups were very loud, but after we sat in rows, they were great in their groups. So this year I'm going to do rows the first few weeks and then switch to groups of 4-5.

10. teksox33

teksox33 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I like groups of 4-5 also, but I start the year in a horseshoe so I can keep my class's attention at the beginning of the year and learn to match student names and faces.

11. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I wish we were allowed to start in rows. :(

12. sarsah3

sarsah3 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

We are not allowed to sit our students in rows either, which is fine with me. I find that my students talk more when they are in rows rather than in groups (although I use group points...so they work cooperatively so their group wins). Anyone else mandated to have their students work in centers daily?

13. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I start out in groups of 4 to 5. Every month (at least) I move kids around and usually try some different arrangements. I've done rows at the front of the room and tables at the back, so the kids who need more space or focus can get it while the other kids still get to work with their group.

14. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I always start out with rows of two. I am curious why some aren't allowed to have rows? Do they think you won't allow the students to work together or something?

15. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I have a small class. It's a private school and we'll probably never have more than 16 or 17 in a class. I started off with groups, went to rows,went back to groups, then doubles, I finished off the last several months of the year with the horseshoe shape. So far it's my favorite. We do a lot of discussion and that type of set up is helpful. My classroom is huge so when we need groups there's plenty of space for the students to spread out. I think I might start out with the horseshoe this year. Though it all depends on how this class handles it. The students didn't like rows, so if I was having trouble with talking, misbehavior, etc. sometimes I would put them into rows for just a few days. I would always go back to the horseshoe though.

16. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Is the horseshoe an ideal setup for grade 3? I've never seen this, in student teaching or subbing. So what if you want to do cooperative learning activities, do you just have them work w/ the person next to them?