How do you answer the question, "What will you bring to our school"?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lumi, May 5, 2018.

1. Lumi

Lumi Companion

May 5, 2018

I was recently at a job fair and the few questions I got was, "What will you bring to our school?". I know that's my moment to shine and hopefully say something that will be memorable, but I don't want to come across as braggy. What is a safe way to answer this question in future interviews? I've been thinking about this specific question a lot and I want them to get a good picture of me without seeming to come off as bragging on myself. Any ideas? Thanks!

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 5, 2018

Is there any aspect of teaching that you feel you’re especially knowledgeable about?

For me it’s knowing the standards, being enthusiastic about the subjects I teach, and having really positive relationships with students. Those are things I know I’m good at — it’s not bragging to say what your assets are. You have experiences, skills, and knowledge that others may not have; how would you use those in a new school? That’s what you share in an interview. (I joke that if teaching doesn’t work out, I can go into teacher tech support. I don’t bring that up in interviews, but I could easily talk about how I use technology to gather, organize, and analyze student data.)

4. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 5, 2018

Think of your interactions with recruiters at a job fair as speed interviews - you want to impress them with the first few comments that you utter. With such limited time, you want to be as succinct and accurate as possible, without sounding conceited and yet appearing confident and knowledgeable.

The question, "What will you bring to our school?" could just as easily be, "Why should we hire you?" or "What makes you different from everyone else at this job fair?" My immediate response would be to highlight your most outstanding asset - whatever that might be - followed by a super brief description of how you applied it in the classroom.

Here's a real example - you be the judge as to whether or not it sounds boastful or would impress a recruiter:

I've discovered how to effectively use technology in my multimedia lessons to connect with the most challenging underachieving students and have even conducted inservice workshops to share my unique approach to instructional design with other teachers in the district. (This is somewhat of a teaser that may result in the recruiter asking a follow-up question.)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 6, 2018

It's your chance to highlight your best strengths - make sure you know what they are, and how they will, indeed, benefit the school/district.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 6, 2018

At this point in my career, I'd happily say, "experience", and briefly highlight and really sell how great my last jobs were, and what I learned from them.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 6, 2018

I dare you to say "suitcase!!!"

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 6, 2018

Be sure to be truthful, but this is the opportunity to brag a bit.

For me, it would definitely be experience (I've taught all grades and subjects from grade 4 to grade 8, as well as Special Ed), the ability and willingness to meet a challenge head-on (challenging students and parents, change of teaching assignment, etc) and my focus on building relationships with the students in my classroom.

9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

May 6, 2018

I think bragging is fine. Arrogance is not. If you are not sure where you fall, ask some people who are willing to be honest with you. You do need to sell yourself but it needs to come across as genuine and truthful while at the same time demonstrating that you have a balanced (not inflated) view of yourself.