How do you acquire mentor texts for mini-lessons?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I am an ambitious human being. I know that I want to use specific mentor texts this year for reading and writing mini-lessons, and I am certain a few are in our school library.

I was curious... do you purchase your mentor texts? Get them from the public or school library? Just sorting through my (1,500+... who knows how many now?) books today at school has put me in a lousy mood for purchasing books. I have some mentor texts, but certainly not all. I want to know what I can possibly do and be economical at the same time.

3. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

You could check them out from the library this year and make note of how useful they were. If they end up being a book you want to use year after year you can look for them in used book stores, garage sales, etc.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2009

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm acquiring quite a list of books I would like, but really can't purchase them all. I'm going to hit up the used book store today or tomorrow and I'm hoping that our school library has some. If I knew i would use them year after year I would purchase, but my assignment has changed so considerable over the past few years that I am hesitant to invest too much financially in resources I may only use for one or two days.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2009

I'll eventually look at the school and public libraries... at least I also have some of my own, too, but not many from the list of what I desire to teach from.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2009

I don't necessarily go by TC's list of recommended 'mentor texts'...You could really use almost any well-written book for a variety of reading and writing lessons. There are books I go back to time and time again for different lessons and other books I use less frequently. Don't make yourself crazy or go broke trying to complete some imagined collection of mentor texts- look for books in your current collection that feature the skills you want to teach- then add slowly over time to what you already have.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I agree czacza! I use books that I already have: short stories in the textbook, novels & picture books in my class library, students' writing, my writing, etc.

I will be using mentor texts that differ from the ones in the Units of Study because I don't want the students to have the same ones every year.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

I have TONS of the popular picture books in Sprout. If there are specific titles that aren't up, e-mail me-I have boxes and boxes that aren't up yet. They are all $2 each. I'll work this week/weekend to get the rest up for you guys to look at.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2009

I could try, Jem. :) Send a PM about which you may suggest.

Additionally, I do have about 20 picture books out of my 1,500 books. Czacza, your suggestion is a good one.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

I usually ask the school librarian if we have certain things first and have her pull them. If they are worth it, I may purchase my own copy later.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2009

Go through those picture books and see what mini lessons you could link to them...I'm sure you could get several lessons out of each of the reallly 'good' books.

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

If you do a read aloud, you can use that. Actually, what do you mean by "mentor text," is it for teaching grammar, writing? I am thinking Anderson's Mechanically Inclined mentor texts (i.e. finding that awesome sentence to teach grammar), but that may not be what you are talking about.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2009

Here's a link where teachers can post picture book inspired mini-lessons...You might get some ideas there on how to use a variety of books- some of the titles chosen are quite interesting (Dog Breath!) but it kind of reinforces that you can find fodder for good mini lessons in all kinds of picture books.
    http://www.writingfix.com/picture_book_prompts.htm

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2009

Writing Fix is the site that has mainly inspired me this summer. I think everyone should visit it... it's just spectacular! I discovered it two years ago, I believe. :)

15. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I have kept a list year to year of texts from the library that I use for writing lessons as well as other subjects, and then, like CzaCza, keep my eyes open at library sales and the like to add them to my permanent collection.