How do they do it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Dec 6, 2008.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Dec 6, 2008

We can leave right after buses on Fridays, and almost all of the teachers in the building do. I don't remember ever leaving right after buses, and this is my 3rd year teaching. I always have to clean up my room and get things ready for Monday/the next week. I am usually there later on Fridays than during the week. How can they be ready for Monday when they leave? I really wish I knew their secret. Oh, and I know they don't come in early in Monday. I'm one of the first teachers there every day. We can leave after buses every day through December now. but I know that I will be one of the only ones that doesn't leave early any day. :(

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 6, 2008

I don't know. There are some teachers at my school who come in even late sometimes and leave early. I couldn't do that unless I had a photocopy machine at home and brought home 2 bags of work every night.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 6, 2008

DH was coming back from the football playoffs and when he went by his school at 10:30 PM one of the teachers was leaving then.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 6, 2008

I make sure to have everything ready for the next week by the end of my prep on Friday. That may mean a later night on Thursday, but that way I can leave on Friday. Any papers that need to be graded on Friday can wait until Monday's prep (and since all copies for the week are already made, I have time to do this). The kids help straighten the room as we pack up everyday--it's part of the routine, so I'm usually ready to go and enjoy my weekend! It's taken me 5 years to be able to do this, but I've finally hit the point where I have to take time for myself and my family. My students are my life during the week, weekends are for me.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 6, 2008

I started leaving early on Friday and going in early on Monday. I like that much better!

I also worked from like 6-6 my first 2 years at this school... so thank goodness I have pared it down a tad!

(My first 2 years teaching were in the inner city and we couldn't get into the building before 7:30 and had to leave by 4:30 unless there was a meeting or some event. )

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 6, 2008

I would go insane. I like getting to school by 6:30 every day. I sometimes stay as late as 7:30 (but not nearly as much as I used to, thankfully!) Some things just can't be done from home!

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 6, 2008

I would also rather come in early than stay late. Sometimes I leave about 15 minutes after dismissal on Fridays - I just don't have it in me to clean up, etc. I worry about something happening and having to have a sub walk in and see it Monday, but sometimes it's just been a really long week. Now the plus side is, if I do stay late on Friday--there's hardly ever a line for the copier! :)

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 6, 2008

I delegate a lot. We have 3 dismissal bells in the afternoon and I have kids help me sharpen pencils, straighten up the library, erase boards whatever... I also have a parent who volunteers to copy for me. She's copied every math sheet I need for the entire year. I wrote reading & writing lesson plans a couple of summers ago, they were wonderful and I still use them. I just retype what I have into my new Edline.net plans. We grade a lot of papers together in class, it's a listening skill and students receive automatic feedback. I make explanations on misunderstandings immediately. I work like crazy when I'm at school but leave on time. I will do some work at home, if it's my desire.

You will burn out if you don't find some balance, I was there at one time. Teaching is my passion, but I've developed a life too.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2008

Perhaps they use their prep time/lunch time to get their desks cleared and take paperwork home with them...My colleague has the kids clean up on Friday afternoons- last 20 minutes, desk organization, book basket checks, etc.

11. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 7, 2008

I think it's all about the procedures and routines.

I don't clean my room, the kids do.

I don't collect papers most of the time, I stamp and send home.

I don't bring work home, I make "to do" lists for preps.

I don't plan alone, I have a buddy - share the work, split the time.

I don't do a lot of cute projects and stuff, I teach the curriculum with minimal "me" prep (cutting out, premaking, whatever)

But, I also have a very "whatever" personality. I'm not controlling, I'm not a perfectionist.

My room looks good every day, my plans are done, I get out! :)

Kel

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2008

I ask myself the same question! The teacher next door to me arrives right before the kids and leaves very quickly after the kids leave. She doesn't take stuff home and I never see her doing her planning. I am thinking she does it when the kids are there which I don't like for myself. I would rather be spending time with the kids... SIGH... I guess I'll never know the answer to getting there early and leaving late... :(

13. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 7, 2008

I know several teachers at my school who stick to the minimum hours. However, it turns out that they do a lot of work at home. I like working after school because almost everyone is gone, and I am not interrupted as much.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 7, 2008

I leave right at the bell on Fridays and usually five minutes early each (I have an agreement with my principal for that, unless there is a meeting.) I do come in 45 minute early each day, including Friday though. I use my prep to it's fullest and avoid people during prep, it wastes my time to get caught up in "gossip" or drama. I email if I have questions or want to say something, otherwise I grab a few minutes just before class with the teachers I work with and check in. Or lunch, that's my gab time.

I do some work at home, but not much. I use to do more, but I have decided my time at home is too valuable to me. I take home unit journals and grade those in front of a movie or something and I might write lessons once a month from home. Mostly on comp days or days we get out early due to all day meetings. I take full advantage of conference prep days and let the curriculum guide my lessons. I don't get creative and cutesy all the time. I also remember kids do best with routine and so I can teach different things the same way and they learn the material, not how to do a new activity.

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 8, 2008

I try to leave asap also, I have three kids, and pay the sitters enough!!

I get all ready as much as I can on lunch and preps.

Life is too short and really all that matters is home, to me. I am a good and dedicated teacher and have been teaching for 16 years. I just do not want to spend every waking minute at school. A little balance makes for a better teacher.

Homework, - I make the kids always put it in ABC order for me to correct and pass it back easily.

Copies, I make once a month, all the homework, morning work, whatever, I do it once a month. maybe for an hour of lunch - usually a Friday because no one else is in there.

Room Cleaning, the kids do it for me on Friday - we have free time center activities for the last 30 minutes. At that time, I clean off my desk as well, and set up all the papers for my week in a file.

I do my plans in bulk, and save them on the computer so that I have them all ready to review, modify and enhance from year to year, keeping the great activities and bagging the crummy ones, no need to completely reinvent the wheel every year, right?

it just takes some organizing.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 8, 2008

Now that I'm regulated to textbooks, I have very little to do after school. I use to use that time to create units, make cool centers, put up elaborate bulletin boards, etc. Now-I don't really care. Because I can't use that stuff anyhow. So maybe many of them are just writing page numbers down from the text book, as my principal demands, and calling it a day. It took us 30 minutes to read Lesson 1 from our science textbook today. Not too much time for much else by the time we finished. It didn't take an ounce of planning on my part.

17. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Dec 8, 2008

This may be a luxury of teaching older students (maybe not), but I stand at the door and tell each class before they leave that my room needs to look as good as or better than it did when they came in or I won't move and they will stay after class. I also have color duct tape on my carpet marking boxes for the desks to be in - students don't have to guess where to put desks if they move them because it is marked on the floor. Each student knows they are responsible for their box and I usually don't have to keep any class more than two or three times before they instinctively start cleaning up a couple of minutes before class is over.
    I also have a copy box - anytime I need copies, the master copy goes in the box and during my plan time, I take the box and my lesson plan book to the workroom. While making copies, I write lesson plans (or grade papers if I have papers to grade).

18. Arky

Arky Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

I have changed over the years. My first few years I was ready to go the minute I could leave. The last several years I love the quiet time after the kids leave and want to visit with my co-workers. They, however, want to leave the minute they can. One is on her last few years and it is just a job for her. The other is experiencing burnout and probably should move to another grade. She has been in 3rd for 15 years. I have spent so many years having to leave to run my 4 children to games, practices, etc. that now I love being able to stay and wish one of them would want to stay with me. Instead they talk me into leaving with them and I leave my room not prepared for the next day. I do always come in early though. I have always been early no matter what the is.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008

I'm one of "those" teachers.

I straighten my classroom at lunch time.

Most of my "homework" is on my computer. I do "carry" work home but it's often in the form of a jump drive in my pocket or files I've emailed to myself.

Instead of grading work, I like to go over it in class.

And the fact that I've been teaching first grade for 8 years now makes it easier as well.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2008

People handle things a lot of different ways. I used to get to work really early and stay late as well. That worked for me for years.

Now I get to work about 20 minutes before I'm required to be there, and I stay about 30 minutes later. One thing that helps me is to stay organized. I don't spend a lot of time with cleaning up and putting things away. The kids know how I like things, too. I do like having my room ready to go for the next day before I leave, but that doesn't take all that long.

I'm going to school one day this week to get my room ready for Monday. I'm changing my seating arrangements for awhile, and I need more time to get the seats put in order.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 28, 2008

I think that sometimes teachers work on things when their students are in the room. I've noticed this a lot with the other K teachers in my school. While the kids are working on math or journaling, the teacher will be prepping something for the next day. I don't know that I agree with this. I like to walk around and help them, ask them questions about their work, etc. Even during our free choice time I'm usually interacting with them and during recess I let some students stay in and help me with things (which, with kindergarten, doesn't always mean I'm getting more done!).

I think the other K teachers are also much more productive during their prep time than I am. I usually check my email, eat a snack, check my mailbox, etc. There have been times when I made a list of things to accomplish during prep times, and I'm amazed at what I can get done. But sometimes I just like to relax and move more slowly. The other teachers always leave right after school, and I'm there for at least an extra hour. It doesn't bother me, though.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 28, 2008

I think this is very important. I call my students my "little freaks" (not to their faces) because I'm such a neat-freak, and they totally take after me. I have pictures and labels on every shelf so they know where everything needs to be put away. In the beginning of the year I did "inspections" after clean-up time and I would point out all of the good and bad things they did while cleaning up. It paid off-at the end of the day I don't have to do any cleaning.

23. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Dec 28, 2008

Sadly...

I leave on Fridays at the end of contract time b/c I come up to school on Sunday mornings to plan and get everything together for the next week.

Not good. I already come in early most mornings (6:45/7:00) when school starts at 8. I get a lot of stuff done then as well. I prefer coming in the mornings to staying after b/c no one else is there...and I tend to be a social butterfly, keeping myself and others from working.

My goal is to start getting things done ahead of time...so I don't have to come in on the weekends.

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008

I've been getting in real early to avoid traffic.

Yes, I know I ride a bike but it's nice to not have to ride with a parade of SUV's and Semi's along side me. Besides, some people drive so @#$% slow they actually get in my way.

25. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008

Oh, if only we could get into the building on weekends-I'd be overjoyed! Right now, I have three kids (all of whom attend my school) so our mornings are hectic and full of toothbrushing, hair braiding, etc., and our afternoons are full of basketball practice, ballet rehearsals, track meets, etc. I am pretty much one of those "arrive at the last minute, leave as soon as I am allowed" teachers.

I have 55 minutes between sessions (I teach 2 half day preK classes) that is supposed to be my lunch/planning time. I am a crazy woman during that time. I literally RUN around the room, cleaning, clearing, preparing, etc. And I take home all of the stuff that I can't get done during those times.

What I would give for a leisurely Sunday morning in my classroom!
    Kim

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 28, 2008

This is where I feel so lucky. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get in whenever I wanted! I usually leave right away on Fridays and just go in on Sunday to plan for the week.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2008

organize, organize, organize.

routine, routine, routine.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2008

Wow, I would never think of going into school on a weekend. Teaching is my job-not my life!!! I leave at our contracted time most every day-I do get to work early, but mainly because my commute is 45 minutes, and I want to beat traffic in the city. I grade papers, do prep work, and call parents on my prep time and my lunch hour. I do occasionally bring home papers to grade, but never a huge stack. My son is grown, so I can get my papers graded before my husband gets home from work, so we have quality time together.
    I remember when I first started, I would stay late too. The longer you teach in a grade level, the easier it is to organize and stick to a routine. My motto is: if I died tomorrow, would I be replaced-and the answer is yes. However, my family could never replace me, nor could I replace them. I have to set my priorities.

29. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 29, 2008

:thumb:

30. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 29, 2008

See, it pretty much is my life right now. I live with my boyfriend, and we work the same hours (with commuting time). I don't mind going in on the weekends, because we live an hour away from family and friends, so we're with each other all the time when we're home. It's nice to go into school for a few hours on a Sunday and work alone, and at my own pace.

I know when I have kids someday I won't work as much. But for now, it pretty much is my life and I love it.

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 30, 2008

I totally understand, DrivingPigeon. I already had my son when I started teaching, and my weekends were my time with my family. I know our schools are not open on the weekend, but many teachers do stay late and do come in on the holiday breaks. I hope you were not offended-and I apologize if you were. Per doctors orders, I had to develop my motto. If I didn't, I wouldn't be teaching anymore-I may not even be around!!!;)

32. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

I think going into school for a couple of hours over the weekend (perhaps when my daughters were engaged in their sports/birthday parties/sleepovers that seem to take over our weekends!) would free up a lot of the time I spend doing work at home during the week and make me more available to the kids then - to help with their homework, to read them bedtime stories, to take an after-dinner bike ride, etc. And I have the sort of personality so that it makes me anxious if I'm not completely prepared and organized - a couple of hours on a Sunday in my classroom would do a great deal to improve my personality for the rest of the week - and that's good for everyone involved!
    Kim

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2008

Nope, I totally wasn't! :)

34. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

I work long days during the week so that I can leave as soon as my students leave on Friday. That is my one treat for myself.