How do these teachers go unpunished?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by hbcaligirl1985, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Apr 11, 2013

I'm a regular at one of the schools I sub for and I have a good working relationship with the teachers there, but there is one teacher who is always playing games on the computer if the kids are taking a test or posting on message boards. I saw one of them on Facebook of all places! How is this allowed? I mean I know that some sites are banned, but just because I site isn't banned doesn't mean a teacher should be on it either. I dunno--am I looking too much into this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2013

The school may be able to track her technology usage....my school has a technology usage policy, and even with that some will go on shopping sites, etc on free periods. With our new drop in mini observations i doubt anyone would be so foolish during student contact time, but then again, people can be foolish.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2013

We have a filter on our internet so we can't go to places like facebook or shopping sites outside of say, Scholastic. Sounds like they need to implement that...

5. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 11, 2013

Studies have shown that taking time to decompress (particularly with internet availability) has a positive impact on employee productiveness.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2013

I can totally see that...I know I am completely frazzled without checking in on this forum once in a while during the day :)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2013

Do you approve of teacher non-educational use of technology during student contact time?

8. teacherfelly

teacherfelly Rookie

Apr 11, 2013

I get where Phys is coming from. However, I do agree that messing around on facebook while the kids are taking a test or worksheets is not a good idea. Shouldn't the teacher be watching the students to be sure they're not cheating or to make sure they don't have questions? I imagine it depends a little on the grade level. I imagine a group of 12th graders taking an exam would mostly just need some super vision from the front of the room but if it were a group of 1st graders i'd expect the teacher to be walking through the room looking over students shoulders to be sure they haven't become distracted or that they haven't become confused by something.

As for the break to get through the day, teachers usually get breaks when the kids have lunch or specials, right? In middle and high school, teachers usually have a free period, I think. I guess it's one of those things of best judgment. If the teacher can honestly say to him or herself that they are not taking away anything from the kids by spending a minute or two on facebook, then I don't see the problem. The question really comes down to, are you being honest when you say facebook time isn't hurting your kids?

Mind you... these are all speculations from my point of view. I am not currently a teacher or even a student teacher. I've only been accepted into the residency program last week. I could be 100% wrong on all of this.

9. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 11, 2013

Is that at all what I said?

As long as I have time that is "free", I should be able to make the choice about what to do with it without judgement.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2013

Not every admin rules with an iron fist.

11. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Apr 11, 2013

At least he/she is doing it while the students are taking a test as opposed to when he/she should be in front of the classroom teaching. If all of the students are quietly taking the test, is it really a big deal? I've seen worse things.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 11, 2013

I agree with this. I've often log on here during a break (recess or lunch). Other non-educational sites like YouTube or Facebook are blocked. Facebook used to be available for teachers, but I think the district realized that too many teachers were using it during class time, so now it's blocked.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 11, 2013

Also, if I'm having a rough day, I've been known to do some online shopping during my lunch to reward myself! :D

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 11, 2013

Actually, I don't agree. I think that during a test, the teacher should be walking around to answer questions and to prevent cheating. That's not to say I haven't been known to web surf on my lunch because, as far as I'm concerned - that's my time and yes, I do need to decompress. :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2013

I am paid by my district even during my 'free time'...and the connection to the Internet (wireless in my building) is provided by the district. I use my time wisely and productively as it relates to my job...I feel good knowing I can get a lot done during my free time that directly impacts my instruction and my students. But that could be just me...If fb and shopping online helps you be better at your job and is no issue for your district, have at it...

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 11, 2013

I'm posting this as I walk around the computer lab. My kids are MAP testing. I can see them all from the desk, but I walk around every so often jut o see where they are. I've also graded papers, put grades in the computer, and worked on a grant today.

Really non-typical day. Normally I don't have time for any of this. I wasn't even sure I could get here from school. (I'm using my iPad and school wifi.) Usually I'm too busy to do anything like this.

17. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 11, 2013

Agreed!

18. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 11, 2013

I work better (at prep and grading) from 7-10 at night. It isn't a matter of not doing what I am supposed to or not using my time wisely. I just work with a schedule so it works for me.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 11, 2013

If students are taking a test, teachers should still be supervising students. I think it is very clear that it is inappropriate to be on Facebook at this time. It is sad if teachers can't see this.

After school or if the students are at a special is different. That is the teacher's time to decide what to do.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2013

Aren't you supposed to be working when the kids are at specials? That's a prep period for the purpose of giving the teacher planning time.

I'm sorry, but I'd kill for time each day where someone took my kids so I could prepare for the next lesson. Where I work, the only planning time we get is recess and lunch. And that's often used up dealing with kid-issues.

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 11, 2013

I generally agree. I work when my students have specials and find it is a great time to prepare for lessons. I don't think it would be unethical though if someone who decides to take a few minutes of this time to relax a bit. Some people work better if they can get a few minutes to relax.

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 11, 2013

I would never go on Facebook (not blocked at my school, although Youtube is) or other sites during class time when the students are in the room, but I see absolutely no problem with it during lunch and recess. That's my break time! I definitely spend time working during lunch and recess very frequently...actually every day...but I don't see that taking a few minutes to decompress is wrong.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 11, 2013

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

During lunch, I relax, eat, surf the web, and run to the copy room to do whatever needs to be done. I manage my time incredibly well and leave school each day knowing that I gave my kids 150%...even if I sometimes do online shopping during lunch! :D

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2013

How do you know this teacher is "always" on Facebook and message boards specifically during tests? Are you subbing with this teacher as an assistant or special education regularly? Or have you just seen a couple of the teacher's FB posts and surmised that she posts all the time during assessments? Don't misunderstand...I do know it's sometimes possible to know a decent amount about a teacher's habits based on various interactions and observations, but I'm asking about this in particular.

I admit that I've checked FB with students in the room a few times...usually checking something for in particular opposed to leisurely browsing. It's not something I would do regularly, of course. I've also posted to our district's FB page during paid time as well...as part of my responsibilities, though. I've posted a couple cute student stories during my planning because I was just so eager to share the cuteness. Eh. I don't think it's horrible. I work so many hours in the evenings and weekends the district still comes out way, way ahead. My three or four minutes during planning of a little "time out" doesn't quite compare to the four hours I'll spend at school on Saturday.

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2013

At my old school I would often get on here at lunch. I had a different schedule than everyone else so most days I had no one to eat with and I need my lunch time to decompress. I only work during lunch if I'm just horrendously unprepared/behind, which hasn't happened since my first year. I'm sure they had access to what we were doing on our computers, but they had better things to do than micromanage people's lunch and planning time. At this school I would never do it because micromanaging is their expertise. Most of us don't even use school e-mail to communicate with each other because we're afraid they could use anything to "get us" even if you think it's innocent.

I do think a teacher shouldn't be on facebook during a test, but it's not the worst thing in the world. I typically get work done while students are testing and just walk around occasionally or walk around with my clipboard with papers to grade on it. I don't think you need to be standing over their shoulder if they're just taking a test. I wouldn't give help on a test or notify a student if I saw them doing something wrong because I need to prepare them for high-stakes testing where you can't do that. As for cheating, we separate the desks and they wouldn't have anything in their desk that would help them as far as trying to sneak something out.

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 11, 2013

I'd never heard of "Specials" until I joined this forum. It's not really a CA thing (at least-- not in my part of the state).

I, too, just get recess and lunch to prep.

27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 11, 2013

I had never heard that term either! I used it without thinking the other day in a real life conversation (because I'd heard it on here) and was met with a blank stare. Lol. I'm at a charter and we do have prep during PE, music, and art, but we don't call them specials.

28. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Apr 12, 2013

A lot of time when I'm subbing I have to go into this teachers room to get supplies, plus a lot of teachers have complained about it and I've overheard. Whenever I'm in there 9/10 times I basically see it with my own eyes as well.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2013

If other teachers are talking about it, the school culture, and perhaps its policy, is to not allow 'leisure tech usage'. In that case, this teacher will likely face some consequences. Keep your nose out of it.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 12, 2013

My dirty secret is that I sometimes grade or plan while the students are in the room and doing work rather than walking around and monitoring. (mostly only happens during tests)

During my prep is actually the only break I get for the day and I might spend it checking this forum or reading up on news. Yes, it's supposed to be used for planning, but the computers at our school are so impossibly slow that I only feel comfortable with planning at home, so I can't do much more than light browsing or paperwork. During my prep is also when I usually eat. My lunch is always taken up by students.

31. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Apr 12, 2013

This is crazy, but its in out teacher handbook that we ARE allowed to go on social media when it does not interfere with student learning. The district is very much about technology so I guess that's why it's in there. They even had us all create a twitter account.. Each teacher was given an iPad and we were encouraged to have personal apps on it as long as its not inappropriate. It's nice we are trusted. I don't know of any teachers who go on FB during the day though. I don't and I've never seen anyone with it open. I have to use my prep time wisely and efficiently so I don't have to take work home much.

32. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2013

I almost never get a chance to sit down and do anything on the computer. I find even having to do attendance on the computer is hard with the grade level I teach.

33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 13, 2013

I can definitely relate!!:lol:

34. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 13, 2013

Maybe s/he is a new teacher that truly doesn't know better. When I first started teaching when I had a question or was confused, I would leave my room and ask the grade level chair.

She nicely told me I couldn't walk out on the class and to write down my questions to discuss during breaks.

So I started going on Yahoo Andwers in the education section and asking questions there and yes, I'm sure I got sidetracked and would look at other windows or read none education stuff.

Looking back I can't believe I was so naive (and dumb). I remember once someone answered my question on YA with "shouldn't you be teaching right now? What kind of teacher gets on here and asks questions during the school day while kids are in the room?"

Anyhow, maybe the teacher is like me and truly doesn't know better. Nowadays the worse I do is while the kids are testing I put my phone under my desk and press the button once to check and make sure I haven't gotten any emergency texts from friends or family. I have an elderly relative who i am also an emergency contact for since i am the closest person to the Home during the day. It takes like 10 seconds, then I go back to patrolling the room.

35. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 13, 2013

:whistle: Me too! The secretary often has to call my classroom to check on my attendance. I've started just marking everyone 'here' before they arrive. 90% of the time my whole class shows up anyway. So at least 90% of the time I get my attendace in correctly.

36. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 13, 2013

Just out of curiosity, how would those who have responded so far feel if it were a substitute teacher that was browsing Facebook, Amazon or Ebay while the kids were taking a test?

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2013

I don't leave tests for subs to administer.

If I see a sub who is not serving the students well, I will let the absent teacher know of any problems....

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2013

Like cza, I don't leave tests for substitutes. And checking and browsing are, to me, very different (although I respect those who feel they are equally not okay). Just kind of hanging out on Facebook during a test isn't a good idea for any teacher, substitute or otherwise.

But let's change it a bit to work for me. Let's say I've left an educational video for the sub. Do I really care if they check to see if they have messages or something else that takes thirty seconds or two minutes? No. I really don't. Kicking back and texting the entire time, yeah, I have issues with that because you've essentially "checked out" of the classroom and the students need supervision even during a video.

39. microbe

microbe Comrade

Apr 13, 2013

Oddly, I've actually had a lot of teachers leave me tests. It worries me because a lot of subs are not very vigilant when it comes to monitoring the class. (Apparently I'm one of the few that actually notices students leaving the classroom?!) I never take students' tests away when I notice them cheating, but I do tell them to stop and write their names down in the note for the teacher (never felt it was my place to take their tests).

Anyway, I make sure to not play on my phone, read or do anything else that may be distracting while I'm subbing. I remember one particular day I had my cellphone up on the podium with me so I could check the time, and when I wrote one period a bad note the students were squawking to the teacher that I had been playing on my phone the entire period, so she should ignore what I wrote! (Teacher was super confrontational with me about this.) That taught me that students will try to come up with any way to make a substitute look unreliable, so it's best to simply have your cellphone put away even if you're simply checking the time.

I notice a lot of other substitutes reading while they sub... I'm surprised they're able to get away with it.

40. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2013

I wouldn't have a cow about it. If the day works out, I purposely leave subs tests because I don't have to worry about planning the lesson for that subject or worrying about whether the sub will be able to teach it. I've left review packets too, but I just feel like the sub knows then that I'm just leaving busy work and the kids probably aren't as well behaved. I only have one student in my class who tries to cheat, and he's extremely, extremely low. If he randomly got a really high grade on a test with a sub, I'd know something was up.

41. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2013

Though a sub, I cannot imagine doing other activities during student contact time. The only exception to this is when I am in contact via phone (text/phone) with the regular teacher, and thus may quickly glance at my phone a few times during the day (I do quite a bit of collaboration with the teachers I sub for). During tests, I will always be wandering around, making sure they're focused, on task, and just as importantly, looking for common errors in the work / writing they are doing to help provide future focus areas for the regular teacher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.