How Do The Cable Companies Get Away With It?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, May 18, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 18, 2013

I don't understand how it's even legal. So I have a basic cable package from Comcast (or xfinity or whatever they call themselves these days). No DVR, no movie channels, just one tv. I called about my billing a few months ago because they changed all their boxes out and said you had to order a new box, which they then charged for (that was not in the fine print, I checked). At that time they said they'd charge me $39.99 for the package plus fees (which added up to like $70) which I still think is ridiculous. But I don't like change, so fine. I get my billing today for $96! :eek:

So I call. Yes, ma'am, well you see, you have a starter package and then the upgrade. What upgrade? I haven't changed anything. Well, you have access to all the channels-we start with the starter package and then upgrade. So I am still paying for both a starter package and and upgrade? Well, yes and the $39.99 package was only for 6 months. I am usually not mad when I make calls like this but I tell them to just cancel my cable. She says well, I can offer you a package for $39.99. Seriously!?!:rolleyes: And then my favorite part-well, I can't do anything today you have to call back again on Monday. You couldn't tell me that from the beginning?!

I'm considering doing AT&T's because I use them for my phone and internet. Does anyone have a cable company that they like? I'm definitely changing for sure now! :thumb:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2013

We recently switched companies...saved $$ for essentially same line up of channels. Cable companies will deal with you if they know you'll leave for another company. Dh got a 'free' new Kindle Fire for switching as well as the savings.:thumb:

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 18, 2013

This is the type of situation when I look up the president / CEO of the company and send him / her a nice, professional complaint. By the next business day I get a phone call, with a message if I don't pick up and they continue twice / day until we can speak and then they bend over backwards to keep me happy.
    That has been my experience with ATT for various reasons, I have had several issues with them, but I do stay with them because of how they handle my complaints. Well, they didn't handle them well before, but once I went to the top, it was always done to my satisfaction, so now I contact them for anything :)

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 18, 2013

I love my local cable company. It's our only cable choice, but the people are nice, and the customer service is really good. I pay $48 a month for expanded basic service, which is something like 70 channels. No equipment needed.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 18, 2013

I have comcast also. Unfortunately, they have a monopoly on my area. They are the only choice so they can do whatever they want. There is only one other internet provider (quest/century link) which is cheaper, but the internet through them is so slow it's pretty much unusable unless all you do is check your e-mail once a day. I called comcast when I moved to tell them to drop the cable and just give me the internet. The internet by itself was 80 dollars! I live in a large city...I still can't believe no one else has set up shop here!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 18, 2013

We can't get any cable out my way, but when we had it in town, Comcast (the only provider) was frustrating! It is funny, though, how they throw specials your way when you mention leaving.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 18, 2013

We've got AT&T; covers the phones, internet, and tv. We had to leave another company; which I don't even want to waste time mentioning; due to their lousy service. AT&T is okay, and of course no company is perfect, but MUCH better than the other one.
    Rebel1

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2013

I've got Verizon FIOS for my cable, internet, & phone. It's $119 & some change. It's this amount for the first 2 yrs so far.

11. bros

bros Phenom

May 19, 2013

That's what it is for my family too.

Although ours is like $130 because we rent a cableCARD for our home-built DVR

With FiOS, call them right before your contract is up and see what they can do. If you are nice to them (unlike most of their callers who yell and scream at them), they'll give you massive perks.

We've had Showtime free for the past four years because we keep reupping the two year FiOS agreement.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

We have Comcast as well... we have tons of issues with the internet. Unfortunately, we can't switch; our community has a deal with them (basic cable is part of the HOA fees), so we're stuck.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 19, 2013

I cancelled cable in 2009 and never looked back. They actually sent someone from the cable company to my door asking why I cancelled. Geez!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 19, 2013

I haven't had cable in a few years either.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 19, 2013

We used to have Comcast. They would raise our rates, our rates, hubby would call, they would lower them again. The last time they refused. We went with a different company. Funny part, is that was over a year ago. I still get my Comcast email!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2013

Thanks a lot for the tip! :)

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 19, 2013

I wish I could just cancel it-but here you can't even get basic channels without a box anymore and if nothing else I would miss my morning news. :(

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 19, 2013

I think that's what made me so mad--the same special that they are saying just expired!!!! Why not just let it stand...I just don't get it. :|

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 19, 2013

Sometimes we've gotten a better deal when we've called! It's frustrating.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 19, 2013

I have Suddenlink and for the most part they've taken good care of me.

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 19, 2013

I use my rabbit ears and Roku and I never feel like I'm missing out. Just dealing with my cable company for Internet is enough frustration!

22. bros

bros Phenom

May 20, 2013

Comcast sent someone to our door back in December asking why we don't come back to Comcast.

We got rid of Comcast in 1999.

23. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 20, 2013

Sounds like a lot of areas suffer because the cable provider has a monopoly there. It's the same here as well. Our cable provider is pretty good, but they do have a monopoly, so there isn't much folks can do if they raise their rates, change the channels offered, etc.

Another local businessman has tried several times to get a second cable company going, but ultimately lost out to the monopoly one because the town backed the owner of the existing cable company. When the challenger had gained a large enough base in one part of the county, they tried to expand into the area surrounding the county seat. Our Power Board (which also has a monopoly - don't get me started on them) flatly stated the utility poles belonged to them and THEY would decide who could - and could not - use their poles. Naturally, they decided the monopoly company could use their poles, but the challenger could not (can you say "kickback" boys and girls? I knew you could).

Our county has two towns, but several "communities". When I was married, my ex and I lived in one of the communities that was outside the city limits of the county seat. The challenger company began offering service to select portions of our community (a different power company "owned" the utility poles in that section and would let BOTH cable companies "use" their poles. As more residents began switching to the challenger, our cable company suddenly began offering perks and lower rates - but ONLY in our specific community. My parents (who lived in town) were paying almost $15/month MORE for the exact same service I had. AND, when I learned that certain perks had been offered to other subscribers who lived within a mile of my house, but had NOT been offered to those on my road (because the challenger hadn't gained access to those poles yet), I went to the cable company office and demanded to know why my neighbor was getter more perks and lower fees than I was. The following week, I received a flyer in the mail explaining my rate had been lowered and there were new perks I could take advantage of. :whistle:

When I lived in Lakeland, FL, we had 3 cable providers and that was fantastic, because they DID compete against each other, so each one offered special perks and rates for different packages to everyone.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 20, 2013

Is satellite available in these areas? I've had Dish Network for a few years, and prior to that I had Direct Tv. I have been happier with the satellite than with regular cable. I get more for my money than I would with cable.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 20, 2013

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 20, 2013

Right now cable is included in my rent. But when it's not, I don't buy it. Too expensive and I can watch everything I want online.

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 20, 2013

Please be careful of this! The stations are NOT regular cable programming. Also, all the device does is provide links to stations that exist for free already. All of the online reviews I have found indicate that it is a scam! Most of the stations are in random foreign languages, and the others are all independent programming made for local access channels, or essentially podcasts.

28. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 20, 2013

I would love to get rid of my satellite service, but I love watching sports too much. I also live in an area where you can't even get local channels without cable or satellite of some kind (too far from the nearby cities). That's the only reason I still have it...

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2013

The apartment complexes we've lived in always only have 1 or 2 choices. The current one has Charter or AT&T Uverse. We can't have satellite because we are on the bottom floor with a wall around our patio and there is nowhere to put the dish.

We use a digital antenna and have Charter for internet, and although we get reliable internet, they call my husband at least twice a week (he never answers, but he knows the number) to try to get us to upgrade, which I think is insane. It would be VERY expensive for us to add cable TV to our Charter internet service. It's actually cheaper to have the full package - landline (which we don't want or need), cable, DVR, and internet, than it would be to have it without the landline. We are planning to switch to Uverse and add cable in July. They are much cheaper. The digital antenna works ok, but it sometimes cuts out in the middle of shows, especially if it's windy or a plane flies overhead or something. :rolleyes: