How do salary points work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Katisop99, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Hello All!

So I recently accepted my first teaching job at a non-district affiliated charter school. Before I got this job, I signed up for a salary points course that gives me salary points through the local district. I paid for it, not the district, so I am allowed to take it, but I have a question.

Do salary points from one district transfer to another?

I know they wont count at my current job, but I don't plan on staying in charter forever. These salary points are LAUSD and I am eventually hoping to work for a public school in Northern CA. Is the general practice to accept salary points from other districts?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

I've never heard of these.

4. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Ah, perhaps this is a California thing.

Anyone from CA know what I'm talking about?

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

Sorry, I've never heard of it either.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

I believe this is similar to Act 48 credits. Act 48 credits are points you get from professional development. We need a certain amount of Act 48 credits to get a raise. If so, then they will transfer to public schools in the same state. If salary points are nothing like Act 48 credits, then forget this comment.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2009

In my district, we have what are called "District Credit" and they count toward lane changes on the salary schedule and also toward a requirement that our district has that we get five graduate level hours every five years. They do not transfer to other districts if we change jobs.

8. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Hmmm, I guess things vary state to state. I will just have to pay the extra money to make it university extension units to ensure they will transfer.

Thanks!

9. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

We do not have the 'points' that you speak of. We get credit by doing post Bachelor's units at an accredited university. The salary schedule scoots you over for each 15 unit incriment.
    You move down the salary schedule (which is actually up in pay) for each year of service.

10. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

The units are called "salary points" down here, perhaps that is just an LAUSD term?

11. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

I've never heard of salary points, but I have gotten "district credit" before. Often in the districts I have worked in, we have gotten district credit for professional development. This only counts on the salary schedule of the district you are in.

Sometimes we are allowed to pay for University credit (if you don't pay, you get district credit), and then that works for any district.

I don't know if any of this is the same thing as salary points.

12. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

That sounds like district credit and salary points are the same thing. I'm thinking that "salary points" is an LAUSD buzz word (one of many). I'm going to pay the extra money to make it a university credit.

Thanks for the help!

13. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

Salary points are only good for LAUSD. They do not transfer. I hope this helps.

14. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Definitely go for the university credits unless you plan on staying in LAUSD. That is what bumps you up in salary in CA.

15. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

Perfect, thanks! I don't know why I thought they would transfer, but luckily if I pay 100 bucks they can be university credits.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

In my district, it's not called 'salary points'...it's professional development credits...We have to have the course approved before we take it in order to accumulate the credits for salary guide movement... Half of all of our credits must be graduate credits, as opposed to inservice. In addition, in NJ, we have to acquire 100 hours of professional development hours every 5 years...the professional development credit hours 'count' toward the 100 hours but not always vice versa. As far as taking the credits with you if you transferred districts- I wouldn't count on it in my area- it would be something to discuss during your salary 'negotiation' with future employers. The best bet if you want to transfer credits from one district to another when moving jobs is to take your extra credits in a matriculated program toward another degree or certification.