How do people feel about a montessori school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by karyljm, Sep 2, 2008.

1. karyljm

karyljm Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

Hey, i was wondering if I could get a general consensus on the pros and cons of private montessori schools. Are they honestly better than traditional public schools? Enough to warrant the additional monthly expense?

3. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Keep in mind that I have no direct knowledge of montessori, but my brother went when he was young. My mom claims it was fantastic, much better than public school. She can't say enough good things about it. However, that was also ~25 years ago.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2008

If you go to the montessori forum here I'm sure you will get a resounding 'YES!' to your question. On this forum you have a mix of public and private (but not so many Montessori) so you'll get a mixed bag of answers...I teach public and have taught at a private Catholic school. My son went to a Montessori PreK but public school for the rest of his schooling... I think it depends upon the kid- there are good, great and not good at all teachers in both public and private schools. There are good, great and not good at all schools in many districts....It's one of those parenting decisions that you'll have to make knowing your kids, their learning styles, motivations and behaviors...Also consider the FUNDING of the various types of schools...Public schools usually have more resources ($$) available and more services as well-especially for kids in need of special services...
    Why not take a tour of the private Montessori that you are considering as well as a tour of you local public school....:2cents: