how do i utilize a high school intern?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by cameroncrazie, Sep 7, 2008.

1. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I am a 6th year teacher, currently starting out in my first year of fifth grade. I have been told that I will have an intern from the local high school come and help me out in the afternoons. Our kids are dismissed at 2:30 and she will be there from 1:45 - 3:30. I have an assistant who grades / files papers so what types of things should I have the intern do? This block in my afternoon is my social studies time where the kids usually work at their seats or in small groups, by the way.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

What about assigning them to a student or two who need extra help staying on-task?

Can this person run a special center or pull small groups to teach something new?

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Great idea. The ones that need a little tutoring etc. This would be a great time to have some extra time one-on-one. Especially if they are behind.

5. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 7, 2008

Yes I would definitely agree for having her pull some aside to work with one on one. That is a perfect opporunity to give extra help.

You might also think about having them do bulletin boards or die cutting too! I know I wish I had someone to do things like that for me! Or even helping to change classroom jobs. That might work for when the kids have been dismissed and there's no one to work with.

By the way, what an awesome program! I love when schools incorporate high school students back into helping in elementary schools. It's so helpful to us teachers, and is so much fun for them! You're so lucky to have all the help you do! I'm jealous!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

What are her goals? What would she like to get out of the experience? Is she an aspiring teacher or just doing this for the credit?

I would find out the answers to those questions and procede from there. If she's an aspiring teacher, maybe you can have her help you with lesson plans and/or grading. She could also run a center of her own, taking a different group each day. Maybe she could help you run an investigative lesson?

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

Excellent suggestion MM. Ours liked working with kids the best so that's what we considered. Another was better with prep artsy materials.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 11, 2008

I think its a great idea to use her presence in there to help those who need a little one-on-one attention. I would first suggest that she try working with the whole group for a lesson--- see how she is.

Something I'm finding difficult to do is that I'm use to teaching 7-12 grade students, not 5th grade. I often sound too complex for my kids and so you might want to make sure she can handle the young ones.

My suggestion would be to pull the kids out who need one-on-one with YOURSELF first, set up some skills and concepts they're having problems with, then let the assistant see those plans. Let her spend some time with them and then assess the students to see how they're doing.

They're still your kids and I'm sure this assistant is very capable of teaching kids. But I would be a little cautious at first, especially with those who are falling behind already.