How do I use the couch?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by HWilson, Jul 29, 2012.

1. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

So a teacher gave me a love seat at the end of the year that she allowed students to sit on each day according to which group earned the most points the prior day.

Well I do not do the point system but I really want to figure out a way to use the couch as an incentive. I assign jobs weekly and thought if them are working this week they can sit on the sofa but I would rather they earn the privilege than just "their name rolled around to it".

My school is incorporating PBIS this year and they earn initials on cards to earn larger prizes from the school. So I don't think I need to tie it in there. I was thinking maybe something like earning by participating or completing homework assignments..... I just have no idea. Any suggestions what I can do with it? If I can't figure it out I guess I'll just see of someone else can use.

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

Someone who goes "above and beyond" with their work....it can be the sharing couch. They sit and talk through their answer with the class. I see you teach math, so if one of your students gave a particularly detailed answer to a word problem, they can sit on the couch and share their answers. Just make sure that everyone gets a chance to be on the couch at least once during the year.

That's all I got lol. Maybe other members will have something more creative!

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

A teacher at my school has a couch in his room. He has a sign-up sheet for it, so students need to "reserve" it in advance. There are certain guidelines that they need to meet in order to be eligible to sit on it, and one person cannot dominate it every day.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Maybe have a raffle. You could give students tickets each time they participate, complete their homework, whatever. Then at the beginning of class or the end of the class, you could draw a certain number of tickets for who gets to sit on the couch. Or you could pick one ticket and let them pick a friend to sit with.

You could empty the raffle every day, week, month, grading period. Really, whatever works with your system.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 30, 2012

I'd be terrified of bed bugs and wouldn't use it for that reason. I would put some kind of cover on it maybe so little critters can't get into it and if they get on it they can be seen.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

Reward for finishing work early and completely, sharing seat to share problem solving techniques, student of the week seat, 100% homework completion reward.

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

Good point, I have not thought about that...... :unsure:

Thanks for all the suggests. Lots of great ideas if I decide to keep it I my do the raffle. Or sign up sheet.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I'm also a bit sceeved out about upholstered furniture in classrooms...