How do I switch from slow dial-up?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by oldstudent, Aug 8, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

In the 10 years since I have had a computer, I have had slow dial-up.
    I don't even think MSN offers high speed internet without making one partner up with another company.

Unfortunately, however, I am a tech dunce. This is partly due to my learning disabilty, and partly due to my fear of being in computer limbo should I do it wrong.

I am afraid of losing all computer use during a failed transition.

My question is simply this:

What are the steps required to switch over to high speed?

Do I need to open the back of my tower and remove or add anything?
    Do I need to uninstall and install someting new?

Do I need to replace cables?

What do I need to do?

I appreciate any input.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

If your computer is 10 years old, you may be unable to add a compatible network card. Or you may have an onboard ethernet card that might work just plugged directly into the back of your computer.

If you have USB ports, the simplest way to add a card would be get a USB network card.

It shouldn't be difficult to do, but without knowing what equipment you currently have, it is hard to give any good advice.

Do you know anyone who could come over for an hour or two and sit down with you and walk you through some of these things?

4. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I have a 2001 Compaq Presario 5000.

I have a friend who is a video whiz, but not a computer whiz. Maybe his son would help.

Of course, calling a computer pro would likely cost a few hundred dollars, which is not an option.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

The best thing to do is contact whatever company is going to host your high-speed internet. They will be able to tell you what you'll need to set up your computer to make it internet-ready. In many cases they might even send you the hardware and software for free.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

Woah, a 10 yr old computer! I'd start fresh & buy a new computer 1st, then have new internet service put on that. My cable TV company is also my internet service provider. My parents also have their phone line through them too.

If you don't have the $ for a new computer (but I highly, highly recommend you do), do you know if your cable TV or phone company provide internet service too, then you can probably get a bundle discount? It's cheaper than having phone through co. A, cable through co. B, & so forth.

HSN & QVC have good prices on name brand desktops & laptops that are cheaper than going to the electronics stores (in terms of getting more for your $). Look here:

http://electronics.hsn.com/computer...carousel*page1_spot1_image*Departments&ccm=EC

http://www.qvc.com/cgen/render.aspx?qp=class|1115&rewrite=no&level=2&walk.yah=0103-1115

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I tried this, but the response was vague. I should try again and reword my questions?

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

What are your computer's specs? Operating system, memory, all that.

What did you ask the ISP? What did they say that was vague?

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

What sorts of things do you use or want to use your computer for?

It is possible that your best course of action now would be to look into getting a netbook.

I wouldn't put more money into a 10 year old computer, even if it is just a $50 network card.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011

My son has found better than 10-year old computers in the dump.

Often you'll be able to do it with a standard rj11 jack on the back of your computer and a connection to a router or cable modem. My setup at home has a modem connected to a router and wireless hub, so I can get wifi through the house or connect directly. Both the modem and hub were provided by the cable company (in fact, the hub was purchased by the salesman, which means even if I dump the cable provider I can keep the hub).

Companies that provide high-speed service will typically have people to come out and set it up. I would contact whoever you plan to get service from and give them as much detail about your computer as possible -- once you get a newer computer.

Check http://www.propertyroom.com if you want a very cheap, somewhat old but still newer than 2001 pc.

Oh, and don't feel bad for still having that old a computer. People generally replace them too often. I had two 2001's until probably 2009 or so, and I'd still be using one as a print server if it hadn't died.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 9, 2011

Try to get a newer computer, first of all.

I've had parts of my current computer since 2004, but I upgraded parts of it every 2ish years.

In order to have high speed internet, contact the ISPs (Internet Service Providers) in your area and see who offers the best deal. You probably won't be doing anything internet intensive, so something around 6/1 mbps (megaBITS per second, not bytes, divide by 8 to get the actual speed you would have) would suit your needs perfectly.

If you have verizon FiOS in your area, get it, especially if you will be getting a bundle, they are excellent.