How do I stand out from the other applicants???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kris8806, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Apr 25, 2008

Hi!

:help:I sent an email to my dream school (which is also the elementary school I attended) asking if they were going to have any positions available and enclosed my resume. The principal said that they didn't know if there were going to be any positions next year yet but that he would keep my resume on file.

I know that this school periodically has openings but they have such a big pool of people constantly applying that they don't post any openings.

What can I do or send them that well make me stand out from the crowd. I don't know if there will be any openings but if there are I would really like even an initial interview.

I wrote a cover letter explaining myself in detail and describing my love of the school and teaching and some of my strengths in the classroom. I also thought of sending a sample of the classroom newsletter that I utilized in my old school.

What else can I do?????

Thanks so much for all your help! :thanks:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 25, 2008

Maybe send a mini portfolio?

4. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Apr 25, 2008

What goes into a mini portfolio? I've seen on the postings that they have sample lesson plans but what else? I'm not an education major so I never really created a portfolio...

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 25, 2008

Lesson plans, the newsletter you talked about, resume, copy of certification, references, philosophy of education...

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

My first thought was a mini-portfolio as well, or even an electronic portfolio. Your resume, certification and references, of course, but you can also put in things like sample lesson plans, activities, newletters etc.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2008

HMMM, that doesn't seem right to me. We are required to post openings.

8. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Apr 25, 2008

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I'm going to put together a mini portfolio. I'm going to call my old principal and ask him for a letter of recommendation.

czacza - I don't know if this makes a difference but it's a private school. I don't know if they have the same requirements but in the past 4 years I have not seen a single job posting at that school yet I know they have recently hired new teachers.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2008

I would hand deliver your mini portfolio. What I have in mine is: a cover (name, email address, website, phone number, graphic, and quote that is also part of my philosophy of education), cover letter, resume, philosophy of education, classroom management system, letters of recommendation, and a copy of a lesson.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

What makes the biggest difference is knowing someone. Contact (email or phone) EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW in the community and tell them you're looking for a job at that school. Ask if they know any contacts or advice that might help you. People really love to help this way, so you're not imposing. And ask everyone, even those you haven't talked to in a while. Someone will have the "in" you need. Here's to your success!