How do I project a seating chart?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2018

I'm created seating charts for each of my classes and I want the students to find their seats with minimal assistance from me.

I designed seating charts on PowerTeacher and I want to just project the seating chart with the kids' names and pictures. But I'm worried that the seating cart will be "flipped" on the projector and the kids will get confused about which side they're on. Does this make sense?

Another option I have is taping a sticky note to each desk with a number and projecting a list of student names/their number on the board. This might be easier for the kids but more work for me! I will do it if it is the best way though.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 27, 2018

I used to project, but they get confused. Even reasonably intelligent high schoolers get confused so I imagine middle school to be worse. I even labeled my seating chart with where the board, doors, and windows were for clarity, but someone always messed it up. Now on the first day of school, I usually have my handout with course policies. I write each student's name on a handout and place the handouts on the desks so they can find them as they walk in. Doesn't take me more than 10 minutes.

bella84 and czacza like this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2018

Good to know that they get confused! I won't have time to do the handout idea because I have two classes in a row.

What do you think about numbering the desks and projecting a list of student names and their desk number?

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 27, 2018

That could work too. One year I tried numbering desks with stickers and the number also represented their calculator number, but by November most of the stickers were peeled off or drawn all over so I don't know if you are planning on keeping the numbers for just a day or for long-term, but if it's for long-term, just be prepared for them not to last long lol.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2018

I just want to use it for the first day (or few days if they are forgetful.) Later on, I am just going to have the kids wait at their seats and call names to tell them the seating chart.

In my homeroom, I might be able to call names and assign seats but the number idea might make it easier. I will have 18 kids for my homeroom.

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2018

I always did mine in Publisher. You can then customise it so that it looks like your classroom when projected. Plus by using a text box for each seat you can move kids around. Make a blank publisher document for your room then copy and customise for each class.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 28, 2018

I am a little confused. What do you think will show as flipped? I project my chart onto the SmartBoard every day, and it doesn’t flip anything.

9. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 28, 2018

If the top of your page is the front of the room, (so the top row of desks is the front row) they should be fine. My 2nd graders could figure out carpet seating that way, I'm sure middle schoolers should be able to find their spots with minimal guidance.

10. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Aug 28, 2018

I put numbers on my desk. As the kids walk in, I give them a number. They sit in the matching seat. I pass around a copy of the seating chart and have them write their names. Collect the numbers, do it again next class. Short and sweet.

MissCeliaB and blazer like this.
  11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 28, 2018

This is so simple! I'm doing this next year, for sure.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2018

I'm sure that if I did that in the last school I subbed at I would get some interesting names on the sheet. Ben Down etc

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2018

Oh wow...I didn't do it this way!! I think I'll rearrange. It won't be "flipped" this way...correct?

14. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 28, 2018

If you have a SmartBoard, it shouldn't flip it in any way, just like if you were using it to project a lesson (if you have one that does.) Honestly, I have tried to have students do it themselves, and it seems like kids lose all sense when they find their seat. Heck, even I get confused when looking at the seating chart sometimes. For bellwork, I have students stand along the wall, and quickly go through their seats. I have it projected on my CleverTouch TV, so if they forget where I said, they will at least have an idea of where they sit, and they can use the seating chart to make sure they have the correct seat. It takes MAYBE two minutes.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 28, 2018

I type all of the names into Excel, then use mail merge to print name labels. I stick them on the desks. Each class gets a different color and font. As they enter, the instructions are to find their name in whatever color for their class. I buy the removable adhesive labels, and they come off easily.

I use mail merge for all sorts of things. It is such a time saver.

16. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Aug 28, 2018

I create the seating chart in Publisher or Powerpoint and then I project it using OneNote along with their daily agenda. If you label main fixtures in the room, or table group colors if you use groups, middle school kids can find their seats (7th grade teacher here :) ). You may have a few you have to move to the right spot, but it shouldn't take long.

17. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Aug 28, 2018

Really? My kids know, that even from day one, if you are not who you say you are and where you say are, you are absent, no questions asked.

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2018

I'm going with the projecting idea with the front of the room at the top! I only have one class tomorrow (extended homeroom) so if it doesn't work, I'll try another one of these ideas with my other classes.

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2018

That's OK if you are their regular teacher!