How do I incorporate more tech in my classroom?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Emily Wright, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Emily Wright

Emily Wright New Member

Apr 9, 2018

I am currently a teacher's aide in a preschool classroom. I have my AA in Early Childhood and am almost done with my BA in Blended Early Childhood and will be getting my Masters in Deaf Education. Our classroom is mainly deaf and hard of hearing children with some hearing siblings at times. But my concern is that we do not have access to a TV or SMARTBoard since there is no Internet in the building we are in right now and I am at a loss to incorporate more technology into the classroom. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for me? Thank you!!

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 9, 2018

Computer or tablets with games?
    A lot of games don't need sound and are just visual (who needs background music anyway?)
    You could maybe find used tablets or laptops or even do a donorschoose fundraiser for one or two tablets/laptops for the class to share.
    I'm not sure about tablets, but I know computer games don't need internet access to play them.

4. Emily Wright

Emily Wright New Member

Apr 9, 2018

That is a great idea!! I didn't even think of that and it would be possible for me to download everything needed before taken into the classroom. Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for good educational games?

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 9, 2018

Ah honestly, I'm not sure. We had some good preschool games in my last classroom, but I don't remember what they were called. It was the school's computers so I obviously couldn't take them with me when I moved!
    There was one game that was great. It had little monsters or dragon-like creatures and it helped with letters, numbers, patterns, sorting, etc. It was awesome.

Emily Wright likes this.
  6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2018

With young children, Ipads and tablets are great resources. You have a small group, and it's easy to go around and check on them. Having a large screen makes it too tempting to play, get restless, and dip off in corners when your back is turned. Your school can purchase a dedicated mifi and monthly contract in order to secure internet access. PBSkids.org and Startfall are good online resources. Without internet, there are lots of programs you can buy. Some of my favorites include: Jumpstart, and ReaderRabbit.

Paint software is wonderful for all children. I can't think of the name, but some basic program is usually included in your package. It's part of Microsoft Word. Instead of creating signs or cards, let them paint. Oh! I think it's called Publisher? The children simply use keyboard to choose colors and 'paint' all over the screen. I used to think it was a waste of ink and paper to have kids print out their lovely scribbled artwork. Now I see it's a part of their learning technology.

Don't forget to find a large mouse, a wireless mouse, and a kid-friendly keyboard. Little fingers will jam up the keyboard.

And don't forget to go over terminology for the computer. It is the basic fundamentals that they really need. Use real language to define what they are doing. When they tell you what they are doing, revise and incorporate the correct terms to their sentences.

Good luck!

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 12, 2018

What is your goal for the technology? What skills do you want them to learn?

Technology for technology's sake isn't all that important. Your options will have a lot to do with your goals.

Leaborb192 and Backroads like this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2018

Agreed. Technology is a tool, not a goal or an outcome.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 12, 2018

Agree. I would bet many of these students are able to go home and play with technology. Having technology isn't enough.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2018

Have you heard of Study Island? Your school/district needs to get an account.

I agree with overload of technology in EC. Piaget would say children learn through play. Punching keys to hear sounds and watch Curious George jump up and down can be positive and negative. I don’t like leaving children unattended for hours on technology. My daughter uses a ipad to put 2 yr old grand daughter to sleep.:(

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019