How do I go about getting a job???

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Sub2Teach, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Dec 2, 2006

As I've mentioned on this site before, I've been out of school for three years and I've been subbing in Illinois. I've been checking the sites daily, but the job market here is really tough. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can make myself more appealing to school districts when they do start posting more openings. What would be some things I could be doing now that would help me hopefully find a job in Illinois come next August? I'm starting to look into volunteer opporunities at my local park districts. Any other volunteer ideas? Other things to make me standout as a teacher job applicant? I need to find a job come next August. I can't sub another year. Its really fustrating when I see others who just graduated in June 06 with full-time jobs and here I am still looking three years after graduating, especially considering I've sent out so many applications, resumes, etc and check websites daily. Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 2, 2006

You need to be working with kids in some form. I didn't get a job right away and only got on after tutoring (in a school district). The district would hire tutors and watch us to see how we did before hiring us. In any event, you must work with kids and get some experience under your belt (I know subbing is experience, but for some reason it is not looked at as strongly.)

Also, are there any additional certifications you can take? I certified EC-4 and couldn't get a job. I went back and took the 4-8 test and the Special Ed all level test and got hired for 5th grade. You may need to broaden your areas.

Finally, what does your resume look like? Have you had it critiqued? Usually your university will have a career department that will help with that. Also, I put my portfolio on a CD and made copies to send with my resume. It shows you know technology and makes it easier for them to see your information.

Keep at it and good luck!

4. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Dec 3, 2006

Thanks for all the ideas!!!!!!!!!! I've started working on an electronic portfolio. I need to get the powerpoint, so I can do that at home. I'm currently looking into working at a children's museum as a volunteer. How do you go about getting into tutoring??? Do you just call the school districts and say you want to volunteer? I'm currently certified k-9 self contained general education. What would I need to do to become certified in another area??? Thanks again for all your help.

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

The school district that I tutored with had PAID tutors. They essentially hired you as an assistant and assigned you to a grade level. I was paid by the hour. I'm not sure if other districts do that but it doesn't hurt to ask. You could volunteer also if you can afford to go without pay for a bit. Since I can't see what state your in, I can't tell you how to certifiy in other areas. I'm in Texas and once you are certified in an area, you may challenge any of the other exams for certification, which is what I did.