How do I get parents to pick up their sick child?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rox, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

Today, one of my students arrived feeling a bit under the weather. By the end of the day, she was feeling awful and almost sweaty. She has a syndrome that affects her health, so when she gets sick, she needs to be monitored closely. Now, I have a sore throat and am starting to feel feverish. I was talking with her old teacher, and she said that her parents NEVER come to pick her up, even when she has a fever. And they often send her to school sick, so don't be surprised if she shows up tomorrow feeling ill. Isn't there some kind of law or requirement that parents must pick up their sick child?

Perhaps it's because I'm pregnant, but it pisses me off that I'm sick because of this :mad:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

It sounds to me as though this is an administrative issue. Can you send her to the office or the nurse's office???

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

Yup.:yeahthat: She'd be in the nurse's office in my building as well. Not allowed to return until 24 hours fever free.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2011

This is what I have done in the past: I send my kids to the nurse and if they come but and I strongly feel they need to go home, I send them back with a note stating that the student is to stay in the nurse's office until picked up.

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

Our program actually rents the classroom from the school. We can't send students to the office or nurse's office, but we do have a nurse. If need be, I'll ask her to come over and see how she wants to handle it. Thanks for the ideas!

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

"SusieQ just can't make it through the school day. Will you be picking her up this morning or should I call XYZ (other contact number like grandma, aunt, family friend, etc.)?"

8. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I once had a secretary that would tell parents she would call for an ambulance if nobody was going to show up. She only used that trick a couple of times on parents that were notorious for not picking up their sick child. It worked like a charm!

9. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

All I can say is good luck. :D

We had Norovirus (stomach flu) go through our school a couple of years ago like the plague. Kids that got sent home had to stay out 3 days and 24 hours since last vomiting or diarrhea episode per health officials. We had to have health officials in the front office with a data base of who went home when because the parents would send the kids back the next day even if they were still vomiting. :dizzy:

I understand that people have to work at what not but they really should make arrangements in case the child gets sick.

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

I would think that if something like that is repeatedly happening with the same student and family that it could be a medical neglect referral to the counselor and family services.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

Sometimes it is not the parent but the school. My children's elementary school would send children home if the child even mentioned not feeling well. I was a stay at home mom for the first 10 years of their lives and there wasn't a day that went by that one of the three would not tell me that they did not "feel well." More often than not all they wanted was a little extra attention. My middle child learned early that all you had to do was tell the teacher that she had thrown up when she went to the bathroom and she would get to go home for the rest of the day. This went on for about 5 months or so and she pulled this trick at least once a month. One day, they had to call my mother in law to pick her up and as they were walking past the school cafeteria and she asked my MIL if they could stop at McDonalds on the way home because the school would not feed her lunch. We met with the principal a couple days later who agreed that many of the teachers would send the kids home too early. From that point on we had 3 rules before picking up a sick child--1) they had to have fever, 2) they needed to be profusely bleeding from a major body part, or 3) an adult had to witness them throw up. This cut our trips to pick up sick children in half. That said, I would never send a child to school when I knew they were sick. I have a friend who would send her kids to school sick all the time and her cell phone would spend the day on silent.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 26, 2011

I hear you! I get so tired of parents sending in their sick kids. I'm a little concerned about the incidence of illness with you being pregnant. What does your administration say?

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I was working childcare & the BOSS refused to come get his child, even though the child obviously had chicken pox! (This was 17 yrs ago, before the vaccine). Needless to say, a staff member & my daughter both came down with it. Maybe others, but that's all I remember. I do think he said something about there was no need to rush to pick him up as the child had already exposed others. Really?

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

We have a fever-free for 24 hours policy. It amazes me how many times we'll send a kid home with a fever one afternoon, and then they'll be back the next morning. Ummm...that's definitely not been 24 hours! Also, I like when I ask a kid who has been out sick if they're feeling better, and they say, "Well, I had a fever when I woke up, but my mom gave me medicine and now I don't."

15. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

We don't have a nurse at our school, but it's really annoying when you know a kid is sick (because of mannerisms or whatever) and the office sends him back because he doesn't have a fever.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I tell my parents that if I or some else calls to say that their child is sick, then they need to come pick up their child ASAP! Otherwise, I will send a quick email, text or a phone call stating that their child isn't feeling well, isn't acting normal whatever & this is a heads up for what may be coming.

I explain to them that as a working parent myself, I remember those days when school called in the middle of the day, so I try to keep those calls to a minimum. (I prefer email for nonemergencies.) I also tell them that I do this so that the other children & myself & my TA don't get sick. And to remember that when their child isn't feeling well enough to attend school. I remind them that none of us want to be sick, so try not to spread germs.

This seems to work well with Kinder parents.

I use to work with a secretary, we called her Gunney, like in a gunnery sergeant. You didn't mess with her. If she called a parent that parent was coming. She was out one day & I had a sick 3rd grade child, throwing up. Mom thought that he was trying to get out of school as he had complained about not feeling well the night before. By the time Mom got there to pick him up, at her normal time, he had a fever of 104 & had thrown up several times. She felt really bad & apologized to me. I'm not the one to be apologizing to. It was her child & the secretary who had called her more then once that needed to be apologized to!

It was after that that I started telling parents that when someone calls because their child is sick, then we mean it and to come or send someone immediately. I'll even relate that story.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

We had a school nurse call social services because a child was not being picked up when sick. It happened repeatedly and both the child and MOM admitted it was because Mom didn't want to go and get the child. It took a reminder from a school social worker that the child would be taken away for neglect (and any money Mom was getting for that child) if she didn't respond when the school called.

I remember one day when an SRO took a sick kid home. Mom never delayed in getting her kid again.