How do I get myself up to date on current teaching practices?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Aug 9, 2011.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I haven't worked in education in 3 years, and I haven't been in a classroom in 6 years.

What can I do to get myself up to date on current teaching practices? I've read a couple of books, The Daily Five and Classroom Instruction That Works because I know they've been used in a couple of the districts that I live near.

What else can I do? What other books can I read? Is there a way for someone who is not currently employed by a school district to get professional development?

3. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Find online magazines or education magazines you can subscribe to. Just Google it.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

If you could afford it, I would go back to school and take some graduate level classes.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I was in your same shoes. I have been a SAHM for the past 8 years. I started by reading online articles and web sites. Then I signed up for some professional development workshops at my state's regional teacher training center. The workshops are quite low-cost and anyone can sign up, even if you are not working. Your state probably has something similar. I was able to attend 4 workshops over the course of a year on technology, school climate, etc. for just over $100. I was awarded CEUs even though I don't really need them.

I listed all of this training on my resume and referred to them during interviews when appropriate. The principal who hired me noted that "you seem to have the p.d. aspect all taken care of on your own here". :) So it definitely helped with the job search.

I also feel more confident now returning to the classroom. Good luck!

6. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of that.

I just looked it up and my regional training center offers online professional development. Unfortunately, some of the classes are kind of expensive, but it might be worth the investment.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

Good question! Try to do things that won't cost you any money, such as search online & read info & articles. After that, you can check out current books from the library in which the copyright is of a certain current yr (for example, 2009 & up). Find the most current stuff you can. Then, if you still feel you want to know more, take college classes.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 9, 2011

Everything is about the core curriculum and the changes in testing. You can learn a lot right here on A to Z. Good luck!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Yes, but you'll have to pay for it:sorry:...take a course from a local college that offers ongoing PD classes for teachers.

10. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

11. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 24, 2011

Thanks for posting the site. My ACP uses videos from Annenberg Foundation that are free. There is a series on How Children Learn and a number of other subjects. I think you can get to them from www.learner.org

Hope this helps.