How do I get my old job back!?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kris8806, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 18, 2009

Ok this is a bit complicated. :dizzy:

I used to teach 3rd grade. After my first year, I was asked to stay onboard for a second year but to move to second grade. For personal reasons I left the education field so I gave up the job. Now it's been two years later and I desperately want to go back. I've heard through the grapevine that there will be an opening for next year. I left on good terms with the P but not really the AP. I emailed the P and told him how I really wanted to go back. He said that he was currently working on determining the budget and enrollment for next year and well as whether or not there will be any opening for faculty. He said he'd inform me if there were.

That was last Friday. Today I had an interview for another school and although the school is lovely and I think I have a good chance, I want to be back at my old school.

What should I do? Just sit and wait and hope the P contacts me? Keep emailing?

My first year I had problems with classroom management though I improved upon it by the end of the year. I really want to show him that I learned from the experience and have developed a concrete plan. Should I send that to him? Wait for an interview??

ARGH!!! :eek:

Sorry this is so long.... :sorry:

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you guys can provide. I love these boards though I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2009

My 2 cents

I wouldn't wait around for a maybe. You need to go out and keep looking. You not commited to anything. If he contacts you, you can still go back to the old school. But, what if he doesn't.....?????? Keep looking.:hugs:

4. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 18, 2009

Thanks. I know I have to keep looking and with the way everyone is struggling to find a teaching job I know I'm very lucky to have landed the interview today for the other school. I have a follow-up interview (the second interview of FOUR) the first week of April. It's just that this school is very far from my house.

But I'll keep looking out for other postings as well.

Thanks! :thanks::love:

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

He did not say that he even had a position. Do not hold out for a maybe position and then a maybe interview and then a maybe job. Apply and interview anywhere you can and keep in contact with the P (send him an e mail every couple of weeks to check in). If you get offered another job, I would take it.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2009

I agree with the other posters. Until you have a signed contract for any school, keep looking.

7. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for all your help! :hugs:

Hopefully it will all work out for the best. Good luck to all of you also that are in the process of finding jobs. :)

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

I once made the mistake of "bugging" my old principal for a position after moving out of town for a school year. Although he valued my abilities and had promised to take me back should I ever return (this was said in front of entire staff at "going-away" party for me and two others), he did not hire me back but did hire 5 brand new, right out of college teachers. Bummer! And such embarrassment for me! I really think I put too much pressure on him. I should have just told him I was back and waited for his call.
    BTW, I don't regret it at all now because I've since found my dream school. This would never have happened had he taken me back. Since I've been here, I realized how awful that school was...he micromanaged us to death.

9. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 18, 2009

Thanks Zoe - I'm glad to hear from someone that's had a similar experience. That's what I was scared of, that "bugging" him would lessen my chances and embarrass me. But at the same time, I want to show that I'm still interested.

I'm glad that things worked out for you. It's nice how things eventually fall into places. :)

10. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, don't bug him. You have told him that you are back, now just wait and see. If you don't hear from him then just send a quick message that you are still interested. But, that shouldn't be for at least a few weeks from now.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2009

I agree with other posters that you don't want to bug your old principal and that yous should keep all of your options open. Good luck with the job search.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2009

Keep looking!!! Hopefully you will hear from the P, but another dream job could be out there.