How do I get my class to snitch??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Mar 5, 2009.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 5, 2009

Hey everyone.

Two students in one of my classes were reading one of the books in my library (Shel Silverstein hard cover book, donated to my class by one of my student's parents) and noticed there was some, well, inappropriate drawings added to the illustrations. I was appalled.

I'm pretty positive I know which class it was, but I have no idea who it was or how recently this happened. Any ideas on how to bring this up to the class? I'm furious that my class would do this and want to find the culprit, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I was thinking offering 5 no homework passes to anyone with information?? I don't know. This is my first year and I've never been put in this situation before.

:help:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

I would suggest showing the pictures to each of your classes. Say that you know it was done in one of the classes, and that if anyone has any information about who did it, they can write the name on a piece of paper and lay it on your desk. No questions asked.

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

I'd clip a 20- dollar bill to those homework passes! Then, I'd break the arm of whoever did it. This kind of stuff makes me livid.

I got a book from our public library about chickens, when Jeannie was small. Every chicken had an anus penned on it's butt. Another time, I got an Amelia Bedeliea(sp?) book that had nipples drawn on every picture of Mrs. Rogers. I hate to see books disrespected.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

I'm sorry becky, that that made me laugh. :lol: Iit's sad that people feel the need to do this to books, especially children's books.

6. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

You could try asking for the offender to admit his/her wrong doings (in private) and explain there will be no punishment.

A kid once stuck some stuff in the toilet and i had everyone put their heads down and give the thumbs up sign if they did it. Took about 10 minutes of precious recess time but someone fessed up finally.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

That is so sad! I hate that too!

Is there a way that you could prevent this from happening in the future? Like, some sort of check out method? That's what I did when I taught fifth and it really helped. If there was a problem with a book, I would see who checked it out last. Maybe, no pencils out during reading time??

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

I hope you reported the defacings to your librarian.

I find that my kids love books so much in my room that books get worn out but never ever written in!! EEK!!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

I would say you KNOW who did it and that you already have a write up in your desk for this person, but if comes forward and admits it to you, you might be more lenient with the punishment.

10. Mr. H

Mr. H Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

Good Luck

To many kids - esp in MS or HS, adults are the enemy :mad:

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

Oh, I did, because I didn't want Jeannie blamed when we took them back.

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

I'm not sure a kid could come forward without peers knowing. It might feel gutsy to do such things in private, but once the other kids know it's a different story.

13. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 7, 2009

I'm not sure a kid would come forward... or what about some kid coming forward with the wrong information?

When I taught 6th grade reading for 13 years, I learned that books WILL get defaced. The more special books, I kept in a separate area (shelf) which the kids had to check-out with a check-out system. It also encouraged the kids to want to look at them!

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

It wasn't a book but one of my students took a brand new magnets set. I didn't know for sure who did it but I had it narrowed down to three. I had two students who had been absent so I knew it couldn't have been them. Therefore I placed the whole class (except for the two who had missed that day) on "restriction". This meant that they were not allowed any "fun" activities. They were not allowed centers, they had no recess, they had silent lunch (I even gave up my "duty free" lunch to make sure that they were silent), they got no rewards. Nothing. It took two days but the magnets came back. I tell my classes there are two things I will not tolerate at the beginning of the year, not to lie to me and not to steal from me. It has worked for 6 years. Hopefully it will keep working after this class. We shall see.

15. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 7, 2009

I ended up talking to my P and a few other veteran teachers about it. Since I teach at a Catholic school, they all suggested I try the guilt trip with my class. So I did.

I had the class take out a sheet of loose leaf and a pencil and told them not to write anything, not even their name. Just listen. Then I held up the defaced book and as I did so, I kept an eye on my "suspects". I figured all I'd have to do is show the book without saying a word and the expressions would give away whoever did it. Every face looked completely blank. So I explained what happened, I was very disappointed, yada, yada. Then I had them write down anything they knew about the situation. If they didn't know anything, they had to write that.

Later on, I read the letters. Not one person knew a thing about it, but they were very sorry this happened. And maybe I'm a sucker, but I believe this class. The only other class it could be is my 8th grade math class. There are about 7 boys in that class that always sit next to my bookshelf when we do group work and these boys have been in trouble before for saying/doing inappropriate things. So, I'm going to try the same thing with my eighth graders and see what happens. I'm sure the boys won't snitch on each other, but most of the class is girls who are pretty fond of me, so I think if they know anything, they'd let me know.

We'll see...I'll let you guys know if I ever find the culprit.

Thanks for all your advice and tips! I'm not so sure the guilt route was the best way to go, but it was my P's idea.

16. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 12, 2009

I found out who did it!! Now I just need proof. :(

I did the same thing with my 8th graders that I did with my 7th graders. I told them the whole story about the book and had them write down what they knew, if anything. I read the letters and no one knew much, but about 5 of the letters said they didn't know anything as of right now.

So after school, 3 of my eighth grade girls that I teach told me they heard it was so and so. The boys were all talking about it after my class.

So now I know who it is. But there's no way this kid is going to fess up to me. We don't have that kind of relationship because he is constantly getting in trouble in my class for talking. Any advice on what to do now??

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 12, 2009

What about a little peer pressure.

I used to work in a Catholic school too. I know a bit about guilt. Especially that brought on by fellow students. I would turn up the heat with a punishment for all at the end of the week...which COULD be dismissed for the rest and minimized for the culprit if that person comes to me and apologizes.

TRUST ME... that kid will be put into the vice by the entire jr high!!! He may not confess...but the rest will make him WISH he did...and it will not be forgotten-or forgiven.

(You have to be sure this is worth it...but i tell you, it won't happen again!)

I had something happen my first week of teaching at the Catholic School. I caught the boys IMMEDIATELY (sheeesh, they INITIALED their work! - hint, look for initials or some sign pointing you to the person!) and made their punishment hard enough that they would NEVER do it again. (They had to clean the vandalism up - which COULD have gone quickly with soft scrub and a scrub brush- with a toothbrush and hand soap.) And the news spread like WILD fire that I was VERY tough and had eyes EVERYWHERE. i NEVER had a problem again.

If you are a new teacher.... HIT 'EM HARD! Your reputation DEPENDS on it!!!

18. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 12, 2009

About exactly what I was gonna say, turn the class against them for this instance.

19. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 12, 2009

I know this is a serious situation, but this is too funny! :lol: I can just imagine the hallway conversations that must have taken place after class among this group!!