How do I get into HR's good books to keep my aide job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thesub, Apr 19, 2018.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 19, 2018

I am a 50-year old p/t aide in my home district's elementary school. I sub very often the other half
    and in excellent standing with the school.

However, my 80-year old mom is overseas and if there is any emergency, I have to rush to her side and maybe even quit my job if she needs long-term care. (I'm trying to get her to live with me here, btw.)
    The HR director doesn't know me at all since I am part of an army of aides in our huge district.
    How do I get to know her so that she thinks of me first when hiring aides?? I truly love my job and cannot imagine losing it for any reason.

I have heard stories of HR hiring people whom they know. I have seen lots of newly certified teachers being hired as aides and I worry that with my age and if I have to quit, I won't be hired back.

Do I start by sending end-of-year wishes, holiday cards to the HR director? Thanks so much.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2018

I guess I'm confused about what your mom has to do with it?

I don't think it's appropriate to bribe HR into giving you a job. Your record is probably your biggest asset, so make sure that you are getting high marks as a part-time aide and sub. Be punctual, follow plans, do what is required of you and a little extra. Prepare an excellent resume. When you see open jobs, apply for them. Practice interviewing.

czacza likes this.
  4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 19, 2018

What I meant was...if my mom needed long-term care overseas, I'd have to quit my current job. I never talked about bribing..just wondered if I should email the HR director on festive occasions so that she knows me.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 19, 2018

No. It's weird. Just do an exceptional job until you have to quit. They will remember you. We often hire people back because they are already familiar with the school. If you really feel like you want to do something, email her your resignation letter when you quit and mention something like "I'd love to be considered back at XYZ district if an opportunity came up."

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 19, 2018

Your having survived for half a century suggests that you probably know the pros and cons of sending such things to someone whom you don't know (stranger) - especially one in HR. What ever happened to common sense? Why not go one step further and make it a point to visit everyone at the district office several times a year? This would be much more effective than merely sending an email on festive occasions, if your goal to to become known in the district.

7. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 20, 2018

I think that your idea of sending holiday cards is good. The HR director will read it and then might remember you. This way if you quit to spend time with your mother and come back she will be more likely to rehire you.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 20, 2018

Would you not qualify for Family Medical Leave?