How do I get in a job in a grade level I know nothing about?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SashaBear, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 1, 2011

A position opened up at my kids' former preschool. I applied and it sounds like I might has a shot at it. Unforunately I really have no clue about teaching preschoolers. The position is for the assistant teacher so I won't be on my own. My degree is high school, I sub a lot in elementary school, but not a whole lot with preschool. I'm not lost on the developmental level of preschoolers; I have two kids, 6 and 4. I also teach the preschool class at church often. The church class is the only reason I am even open to the idea.

Now what do I do to get the job? I have nothing physical that shows I know about preschoolers. My portfolio has nothing in it related to preschoolers. What should I study to prepare for this interview/job? Should I make up some lesson plans/charts/decorations to show off?

I won't hear back from the school until middle of July so I have time to plan. Oh and its HeadStart if that helps any.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

You teach a church class. Use that information to help with the interview.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

You have one kid still in pre-school and you've volunteered with pre-schoolers at your church, so that's a start.

There's a lot of good literature on early childhood development so you could take some of the research and apply it to what you've learned about 3-5 year olds with your own kids and in the classroom.

Also, maybe you could prepare for the Praxis to get your early childhood certification? Even though you can't take it in time before they start interviewing, it would show your diligence.