How do I find work when I don't currently live in the USA?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr_Gourami, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Mr_Gourami

Mr_Gourami New Member

Mar 29, 2017

3 questions at bottom of post.
    But first the situation:
    Bio
    I am a student teacher.
    I am in the UK doing a PGCE - a one year teacher certification for UK curriculum.
    I am an american moving home to Houston Texas.
    Situation
    I know I need to get the certification converted, and i know how to do that. I can't start that process till I graduate June 28.
    As far as I can tell, that paperwork conversion could take 6-10 weeks and will result in
    A) A full teaching certificate
    B) A one year teaching certificate so I can take "test"
    C) told to go start my training over

I'm trying to figure out how to find work while abroad or if I even can.
    I have 5+ years teaching in China and Turkey, from a regular ESL teacher to being a head teacher.
    But as none of that was as a "legally qualified teacher" I am not sure it counts.

I have applied to a lot of jobs in Houston (20+) but no one has responded.

My questions
    1. Will schools even look at me if I am trained abroad and won't have the official paperwork until July/August?
    2. Can I find work if I can't be there in person to interview or give a demo lesson?
    3. Should I be worried that while I apply for every job I can find, no one at all has replied?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 29, 2017

You will have to speak with someone in that state's education department. They will probably want your transcripts to see if your coursework is compatible with their requirements. Did you just decide to move back home? I'm assuming you knew it wouldn't be easy.

4. Mr_Gourami

Mr_Gourami New Member

Mar 29, 2017

we were planning to stay in the UK. my wife just lost her job, got offered 3x the salary in the USA...
    i knew it was possible to convert. I just thought i wouldn't have to worry about it for a few years.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 29, 2017

Do you have any certification / licensure in any US state? That might make it easier, but it sounds like that may not be the case. Your best bet might be to check out if you qualify for alternative route licensure. What would your area of concentration be when you return?

I have a feeling once you are actually in Houston, the problem of not getting responses will clear up. We are just starting hiring season in the US.

6. Mr_Gourami

Mr_Gourami New Member

Mar 29, 2017

I as of June 28 will be certified in the UK to teach Phys Chem Bio to year 6-12.
    I'm 90% sure I can convert it to a texas teaching cert for bio secondary
    but that could take 6+ weeks.

Which means I might not have paperwork until July/August.

I'm not so worried about the papers, I know I will EVENTUALLy get them. The problem is if I won't have the pretty paper until July/August, would a school even consider talking to me?

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 29, 2017

Your ability to teach multiple science classes should be what puts you in the running for work. You might even be offered an emergency Texas certificate if your timing is lucky.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 29, 2017

As far as interviewing, a lot of districts do that through Skype, so that part should be ok.

SageScience likes this.
  9. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

I currently teach Social Studies in Texas and I know for a fact that Texas holds teacher job fairs in other states and actively recruits qualified bilingual teachers from other countries(Spain, Mexico, etc.). There are currently over 20 Secondary Science openings in Dallas alone. I am confident that you'll get something. You have to be proactive though. Visit the websites for various large districts(your best bet) and fill out applications.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 29, 2017

When do you get back to the States?

11. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 4, 2017

I guess the only way to tell is to try. Sounds as if your certification is going to go through, which is great. I am a brit working in the USA but I did my teacher training here in the USA. Good luck!

12. webgeenius

webgeenius New Member

Apr 7, 2017

Try search job online and attend interview online .