How do I do this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Resentful, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I have been working in the same district for five years. For the past three years I've been a building sub in one school. It really is a joy. This summer I was almost guaranteed a job. I went on two interviews and one demo plan. Everyone had such glowing things to say. Most of these were people I've never met. I come in on the workshop and my principal, tells me she thinks I will be placed in the kinder room, because the kinder teacher has retired on short notice. Well, everything was going my way until someone else who has no experience teaching got that job through a connection. She isn't doing so hot of a job. There are four other kinder teachers and one is gone for a year on leave. I got to be her permanent sub. I was the permanent sub for the teacher who retired. I know my stuff. I do a lot of hands on projects one a week. Sometimes, more. Things like using a paperplate to make a character from the required stories. Ms. Newteacher noticed I was doing this and started being real nosey. I played the dumb card. Two weeks ago, she started coming into my class during her preps to see what I was doing. I wasn't secretive, but I didn't give away too much Basically, she knew what I was doing but not how to do it herself. At lunch, she asked if her class could come in on the day I do projects. I said no, because I only had enough supplies for my class and told her the truth that I am on a fixed income as a sub. Everyone was giving her death glance, because they knew the situation and she is not a good teacher. That week passes and she leaves me alone. This week, we did two projects. The first one she came in with her class without my permission. I told her right away, because I didn't want her there and it was the truth, your class can watch but they can't do anything because I don't have enough supplies. It happens during my second project, but thankfully we were half way through and she ended up taking them and leaving. She got my number through someone and asked me via text message what is my project and what are the supplies. I know this is an overreaction, but I cried when I saw it. I have no idea what to say. I really want her to leave me alone, but I need this job and I am in the hard spot not her. She gets the regular job and good pay because of a connection. I get nothing and have to help her. :*( I really don't want to. What should I say? Should I lie and say I'm not doing a project this week due to a tight budget? Just ignore her? Claim, if she asks, I don't get text messages. Should I speak to my principle? She is very nice to me, but I don't want to come off as a baby. She already knows I am upset about not getting the job. I am also annoyed, because Ms. Newteacher as a mentor in our grade level. Why isn't she doing their projects?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

Close your door and teach. You can be professionally cordial without sharing what you do.

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 23, 2012

Two mindsets...

Professional mindset: You are a teacher on a team who wants all students to be successful. You may see it as a competition for a job, but it's not. She got the job, and though it may have been through backchannels, the competition part is over. She might not even have known that you were promised the job. You have been hired to take the place of the other teacher on the Kindergarten team. On any team I've been on, teachers collaborate for the good of all students. Does this mean you do all of the work? No. Does it meant that you buy supplies for other classes? No. You should share what works for your classroom, and expect other teachers to do the same. You can share your projects, and have her come up with other activities. I think you are being unprofessional if you choose to lie about what you do and hide what you do. :sorry:

Practical mindset: Don't burn bridges. If she has connections to get a job, she might have connections to help you get a job, especially if she is grateful to you. She might also have connections to keep you from getting a job if you act unprofessionally. You do NOT have to pay for her supplies, but it would be advantageous to you to share your lessons, and encourage her to share hers. Who knows, she might have some good ideas you can use, with some tweaking.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 23, 2012

That said, you should lock your door so she can't bring her kids in without permission. I would be unhappy about that. Did you tell her afterwards that she can't do that?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

You're definitely in a hard place, but I would look at this as another interview. You want to show that you want the best for the students and are willing to help.

I would fill your principal in on the situation. But I would definitely try to put a positive spin on you helping this girl out. Make sure your principal knows what you are doing.

Remember, this new teacher has connections. You never know what she will say to those people about you if you are helpful.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 23, 2012

I think she's being unprofessional and lazy. You need to be professional, but not let her take advantage of you.
    collaborate with her, share some of your ideas but ask that she comes up with other ideas. Fair is fair.
    Most importantly: make sure your P knows what your projects are, what are your ideas, etc.
    I would be extremely upset if the P came in her class, saw her doing a great project that you came up with on your own and she basically copied it. And she would tell him / he would be under the impression that it was all her idea.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 23, 2012

These two things wouldn't sit well with me at all. Shouldn't she not only be asking you but her mentor teacher as well for some ideas? Are there no project ideas in the curriculum she can look up for inspiration?

9. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I hope this stops her. She just walks in uninvited.

10. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

It's not about competition. I've always done this sorts of things like being the building sub for the school. It increased last year when I was in the room she's in now. In fact, I set her room up. She has changed nothing about it. She doesn't even put up the student work. :eek:

She wouldn't help me. She denies up and down (even to others) she has a connection when everyone knows who that connection is and how she knows them. Also, she is very selfish. Furthermore, I've heard her bad mouth me.

11. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I didn't know what to say, because I told her no when she asked if she could come in. I suppose she believes the no expired because it was a different week? She knows she's not wanted. That's part of what annoys me. I HAVE to help her. Why? Clearly, they (the district) don't respect me enough to give me a full time job. Ms. Newteacher can have one without paying any dues. I really have nothing to lose if I get bumped from building sub to regular day to day sub. There is no pay difference and my husband pays the bills. Clearly, my "connections" within the school got me bubkas. I just really hate this situation. :(

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 23, 2012

Have you thought about suggesting that you help her plan one project for her class? Give her a few questions to think about (i.e. What am I teaching my class? What subject would a project be most helpful in?, etc) and then assist her in planning her own.

If you want to get brownie points with the principal you could even mention that this teacher has been really interested in the projects that you do with your class and you were wondering if you would be overstepping your boundaries by helping her plan one for her class since she has a mentor.

13. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 23, 2012

Is this a personal phone or a work phone? I know my aunt was always given a cell phone for work only whenever she worked in administration, so I was wondering if it's the same for you as a teacher. If it's a personal phone, she went too far to ask someone else for your number, and that person was wrong to give it out. Don't worry about who gave it out, but I would want to at least talk to her and say you think that was a little much to text you without you freely giving her your number. I *might* also mention that her bringing in her class after you specifically said no was out of line. Although I can't really say that because I despise confrontation, even if it's done in a nice way.

Now that that's out of the way, I agree with the clear-headed thinkers here. I, too, would be reacting the same way you are. I've been in your position as far as someone else getting a job I'm qualified for because they have connections. I've also been the one to come in and get a job over someone else (I was, however, more qualified). I worked very hard to ingratiate myself to the woman who thought I got her job, but I was also warned about it by our boss. I asked for her ideas and her input and she loved it. I also loved it, because I got more than one point of view on how to improve things. Maybe that's *sort of* how she's handling it. Though it is clear that she isn't working to create her own projects. I thought everyone knew about Pinterest! ;)

Maybe you can offer to share one of your projects if she'll bring to the table a new one for a new required book y'all will be reading. Someone before me said that. Specifically ask for give and take.

And maybe you two could go shopping for the supplies for one of the projects together (with explicit directives that you'll each be purchasing them separately) over a weekend. If you two are able to get past this (admittedly rough) awkward start, you can get along well.

14. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I think I will speak to my principal. I'm not sure what to say. I don't want to spin it as a good thing. I'm upset and what does it matter? Unless Ms. Newteacher is not going to lose her job. I know it must seem petty, but I don't want to be a team player. I've been one for three years and it's gotten me nowhere.

15. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 23, 2012

:yeahthat: This is VERY "kill them with kindness."

16. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

My principal knows, because I always send my lesson plans which include projects and my principal seems to like them. I will do grade collabs with her, but not one on one. I think I might say "I am very busy. Your mentor can help you" if she keeps bothering me. Is there a nicer way to say that?

17. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Those projects are not like mine. I think part of the reason she's trying to copy me is I really go above and beyond with projects. I either think them up or look online and use/buy my own supplies. It's not something I started this year. I've done it full time (once a week or more) since last year. However, I've always done hands on projects in this school. Even when I got a different class every day. I've just fit in well and always had an easy time with the students. She puts very little effort into it. I hear her screaming at the students all the time. :unsure:

18. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I just feel like I can't keep it together if I had to help her. It is really insult to injhury. I'm already very close with the principal and it's gotten me no where. :(

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 23, 2012

You could just tell her that you are so honored that she is asking you for help but her mentor has been teaching much longer than you and that she will be able to learn so much more from her. You could talk about how you wish that you had a mentor teacher and then ask her if she could share any tidbits from her mentor that will help make you a better teacher.;)

20. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

It's nice to know I'm not the only one in this boat. It feels like all these new teachers are getting jobs and I'm stuck being a sub. :(

Honestly, she's just lazy. I could give so many examples, but I'd be here all day. For example, she sets in her grade levels and texts. :woot: She never has anything to add. I can understand that. Then when the head of k asks if we need anything or have questions, she says nothing and then will ask others how to do the unit or for materials later in the week. :(

I think that's a good idea about shopping. However, I know I have to be in the right place. Would it be weird if I asked my husband to go? I know I would feel weird being rude/kurt/mean to her if he was around and he would put me in my place.

21. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

That's a great way to say it. Thanks. :D

22. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Yes, that was my personal cell phone.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 23, 2012

Delete the text and block her number. I delete texts from a teacher I don't like and when she asks me about them, I pull out my phone and search for it in front of her. She now thinks that there is something wrong with her phone:whistle: I make sure to send her a text every month to make sure that she keeps thinking that there is something wrong with her phone.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

How about simply telling her that you would be willing to sit down with her and plan a project soon, but that you are not comfortable with her class coming in whie yor class is working. Tell her it's becoming distracting for your students and her kids would be getting more learning at that time in their own room rather than watching your kids.

25. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

Honestly, it seems very petty to me to not share ideas. She is obviously impressed with the projects you do, so I would look at it as a compliment that she wants to know what you are doing. I work in a very collaborative environment, so I can't imagine not sharing ideas with my team. I would also think that by refusing to be a team player you are potentially setting yourself up for a harder time getting a teaching position in the future.

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

I agree...I also that your attitude is going to bite you in the butt. I can't believe that if you didn't have a contact, you wouldn't use it. Your principal contact wasn't as powerful as hers...get over it. Your bitterness is going to cause a riff in your team...and if her contact is bigger than your principal, he won't be able to help you.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

What a pity you were too busy to check your texts.

She can ask anything she wants. You're under no obligation to answer. Your job is teaching the kids in your class. You were not hired to teach her how to teach.

Let her know you're available if she wants to bounce her project ideas off you. Give and take is one thing. Take and take is another.

28. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Sep 23, 2012

Resentful,

I understand your frustration. I've spent the last 3 years doing the same thing you are. Looking to get back into my own classroom and ending up a Long term again and again. This year I lost out to another I know someone yet again. It is aggravating beyond belief!

However, you have got to think about your profesional attitude. It is aggravating being on the same team with the girl who beat you out while she makes better pay (yup me too this year.) But every year I have shared my expertise with others. Your principal will see it. Sure it may not get you the job but it may KEEP you from getting one if you don't. You are just going to put your foot in it if you can't be at least polite to her.

You don't have to take her phone calls or have her in your room. Let it be about the kids. You say your principal knows you do cool stuff so he/she will know where her ideas come from. But hey if you tell her what you are doing then she won't be in your room either.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

OK, how about this... you share--with everyone.

Suggest that each of the 6 kinder teachers start sharing, via email, all those great projects with each other. Phrase it along the lines of "I've heard so much about the wonderful things you guys are dong, and thought we could all learn from each other."

And you be the first. And the second. The others, who from what you say are also competent, share their stuff. And you cc administration, in the interests of creating a permanent file of projects from the Kindergarten.

And we see what comes from your friend.

At the very least, it will make it obvious that she's not pulling her weight. And perhaps it will force her to do a bit more of her own work, since it will be obvious that none of the emails are originating from her.

30. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I've created a website shared in-district with my plans/ideas. I spend a lot of my own time developing resources, and I've had others "borrow" my personal work and claim they made it to admin. I created a website and watermarked my name into everything I made. It took five hours, but it's worth it. I'm very happy to share, and my superiors love that I share my work. However, I don't care for others to lie about creating things I've specifically made.

31. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I second this advice! I've done this before when others weren't carrying their weight.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 23, 2012

First, I think it's very unprofessional for her to horn her way (with her children) into your classroom uninvited - it's a horrible example to set.

Second, I think it is up to you to set the better example. I have been on the giving end of a one-sided work relationship now for 4 years. The other 1st grade teacher does very little planning or "grunt" work, but takes credit for ideas and/or work that are not hers. For the first couple of years, everyone really thought it was her working. Now, they are beginning to see. Why do I continue to "share?" Because I think of the kids and what they need. I love my kiddos, and by forwarding to her (and often copying it as well), her students are not left behind. Just today, she flat out told me that she doesn't follow the lesson plans that I spend hours doing (but she insists that we "do the same thing."). Fine. But mine is the lesson plan she keeps in her plan book. Anyway, back to my reasoning. It's the kids who suffer from a poor or disinterested teacher, so I try to make it better for all of them.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

I've been fortunate in that regard; I can remember only one teacher who expected me to teach her.

It was her first year teaching Precalculus, and I had given her my notes to use over the summer. Apparently she hadn't because every single day she would ask me to explain the work to her. It didn't matter whether I was marking papers or eating lunch-- she didn't know how to do the material she was teaching an hour later. And because her kids needed to be taught, I stopped what I was doing and taught their teacher.

It eventually got to where I went to my department chair. (It didn't really solve the problem, it just changed the tutoring responsibilities onto his shoulders.)

Sorry, but I have no respect for professionals who aren't willing or able to do the job they agreed to do.

34. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

I would ignore the text and if she asks... Say, I'm sorry My phone is messed up. I am only receiving some of the texts people send me. She will get the message when you never get her text. Be cordial, be polite, but don't teacher class. Who knows you may be up for a new position... Hers. Connections only get you so far. You have to be able to teach.

35. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I might block her number for the time being. I don't like that she took it upon herself to call me. I mean she has my school email address which I check over the weekend.

36. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I will collab with her during grade levels, but not one on one. I'm too upset for that at the moment. I don't think I will tell her not to come in, because she does what she wants.

37. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I don't think it's that she wants to do what I do. She wants me to do her work. While I get less than half her salary. She always wants her class in my room. I'm not being in charge of almost 30 extra children. :help:

I don't mean to be rude, but I wonder if the people telling me to be in her good graces have read the whole thread. She is very selfish and wouldn't help me get a job. I have even heard her tell her mentor things about me.

38. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

That was kind of rude... :(

39. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

She is honestly nothing but a taker. I don't expect her to be good teacher, because her only experience is student teaching. I do expect her to try. She doesn't. She think she is the princess of the school and everyone is there to help her when it's a good time for her. :(

40. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Thanks for replying. It's nice to know I'm not alone in being skipped over because of nepotism. :(

I think if I gave her detailed directions she would still come into my class and try to get my "help". I.e. I do with her class. I don't want to be responsible for being in charge of anyone else's class. She has a union to back her up if someone goes wrong. I have nothing and any little thing can get you removed as a sub.

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

I would not help her.

She's clearly not interested in collaborating. She's interested in you planning her class activities.

Nope.

I don't think YOU have the bad attitude. She does. She clearly feels entitled...to bring her students into your classroom and distrupt, to your supplies, to your ideas, to your time so you can teach her how to teach.

Again: no, no, no.