How do I convince my son that good grades are important in 7th grade?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by thesub, Oct 2, 2015.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 2, 2015

My son doesn't care about the honor roll or the G&T program etc. We are also not pushy parents, so we can accept this to some extent. (Last year in grade 6 grade, he was on the honor roll for two quarters and we were delighted).

However, he has been getting Bs and Cs in the first quarter of 7th grade - missing homework, forgetting to turn in assignments, not writing in detail or giving evidence in his writing.

So how do I convince him that his grades do matter? How do I convince him a good education matters? His heroes are all WWE stars and I tell him they all went to college (I think), so he needs to try harder. But my son tunes me out because, I guess, college is still too abstract for him???? He definitely has to work harder in high school. He does have a place to do his hw, a definite time etc etc like the usual parenting websites suggest.

Btw, my son's hearing -impaired with balance issues but the district has been wonderful and he's been mainstreamed with modifications for test-taking etc.

Thank you so much,
    thesub

3. renmew

renmew Rookie

Oct 9, 2015

My son struggled with this until just this year. So far, his 6th grade year has been his best by a mile. I took everything extra away for years. While his friends were playing Minecraft online, he just got to talk about it. Some of his friends have cell phones. He doesn't, and he understands it's because everyone in this world has responsibilities. When you don't perform, you don't get extra stuff. He's off to such a great start this year, I've chilled out a bit and have let him play online a few times a week. He is maturing and I am happy. I didn't punish him or ground him, but I did make sure he understood that all those expensive extras in life don't just show up because you simply exist.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 9, 2015

Honestly, they don't matter.

Grades are the last thing that matters in middle school. What does matter is developing organizational skills, critical thinking, and building foundation knowledge towards learning the material more in-depth in high school.

I stress to my students not to stress out about grades. They don't matter. What really matters is that they develop habits of learning. Sometimes good grades follow, sometimes it takes a little more time.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 9, 2015

In our district, middle school grades can be important for getting into a good program for high school.

6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 25, 2015

Thank you all. Like MissCeliaB said, in our district also grades count towards getting into the honors/AP classes eventually. Maybe I will follow through on renmew's approach - I do tend to make empty threats.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 25, 2015

The kids who have been taught this are the freshmen I get who don't care about grades and end up flunking their entire year. It's easy to tune out high school teachers chanting "these grades matter!" when previous teachers have taught them that they don't.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 25, 2015

Grades DO matter.
    For my students who think grades don't matter, I talk to them about being "quitters."
    They do NOT like to be called a quitter. But, when I explain that every time they choose to not do homework because they would rather play their video game (or whatever they are doing instead), they are quitting on their homework. We discuss perseverance, seeing things through the end, honoring personal commitments.
    It gets through to some of them.