How do I challenge kids in math?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by jsais, Sep 2, 2007.

1. jsais

jsais Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

What do you do to challenge your kids who are higher in math?

It is easy to teach reading in leveled reading groups, but I don't know how to address the great range of levels I have in math.

I feel like my higher kids are just not getting challenged! Please HELP!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

When I taught advanced math (my 2nd year of teaching), I used a lot of technology and brain teasers. I found the brain teasers through Mrs. Renz's fourth grade website and also some people she linked to.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

Not everyday, but after I have introduced a certain concept I group the children and give each group a different set of problems to work on. (Sorry I have a small class and can do this) but on those days I will use challenge work sheets with the higher group, I also give them different homework, but my curriculum makes it easy because I have Teach, Reteach and Challenge workbooks for homework.
    Also try Math folder games and give them the more challenging, higher level games. Good luck!

5. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

Can you test them out of the unit you are teaching and let them progress at a faster pace? Since they are quick learners, once you find a place at which they are not proficient, you can teach a short lesson to them while the main class is doing a warm-up, then they can work on an assignment while you teach the main lesson. I did this last year with a group of 7 kids. It was amazing what they were doing by the end of the year.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

I always had two or three students that would get a concept right away. I would let those two or three students help my lower students when they were finished with their assignment. They loved it! And my lower students caught on a lot faster because the students were able to explain it differently than I could.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

You can also make projects that connect to skills like purchasing and planning for a camping trip or traveling across the United States with different skills.

By the way, here are tomorrow morning's Morning Work brain teasers-

A group of kids got together and started a dog-walking business. They got lots of clients right away, so that when they all walked their dogs together, there were twelve heads and forty legs. How many kids and how many dogs were out walking?

Jack and Jill were practicing batting. Jack's first time at bat, he hit 75 out of a hundred pitches thrown by Jill. Then Jill hit 75 out of a hundred pitches thrown by Jack. After a little break, Jack took a second turn at bat. Jill threw him 50 pitches, and he hit 35 of them. Jill was tired, so she didn't take a second turn at bat. Who had the best average for the day — Jack or Jill?

Five athletes were returning from a cross-country race. Athlete C placed third, and athlete E placed second. From the following information, can you tell how athletes A, B, and D placed in the race?
    Athlete A was not last. Athlete A came in after E. Athlete D was not first.

Here are some of my challenging problems in general. You can change any names, obviously :woot: -

A rectangle has a length of 4 and a width of 25. What is the area of this figure?

A rectangle has a length of 7 and a width of 37. What is the perimeter of this figure?

A rectangle has a length of 12 and a width of 15. What is the area of this figure?

A rectangle has a length of 7 centimeters and a width of 5 centimeters. This time, I have three questions for you-
    1. What is the area of this figure?
    2. What is the perimeter of this figure?
    3. What is the DIFFERENCE between the area and perimeter in centimeters? Provide a number amount.

A rectangle has a width of 16 and a length of 11. What is the area of this figure?

What is the perimeter of a square where each side measures 18 centimeters?

On Thursday morning, it was 29 degrees outside, and by the afternoon, it was 68 degrees. What is the difference between the morning and afternoon temperature?

Cassidy had horse riding practice at 3:45 in the afternoon. Practice lasted one hour and forty-five minutes. When did Cassidy’s horse riding practice end?

Ms. Jasztal went to the movie theater and purchased two tickets for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. It was 5:42 p.m. The person at the purchase window stated that the movie would start in 38 minutes. At which time did the movie begin?

Mr. Jasztal drove 68 miles an hour on his way to St. Augustine. In all, he drove approximately 200 miles. Approximately how many hours did he spend in the car driving to St. Augustine?

Ms. Prater’s garden measures 9 feet by 12 feet. She wants to put fencing around the garden. How many feet of fencing does Ms. Prater need?

A tank contains 555 liters of oil. Nine liters of oil are used each day. Approximately how many days will the oil supply last?
    A. 40
    B. 50
    C. 60
    D. 70

Remo and Emily are fencing their backyard. It measures 39 feet long by 20 feet wide. How many feet of fencing material do they need to cover the perimeter of their backyard?

The movie on Friday evening began at 7:25. It ended at 9:05. How many minutes did the movie last?

At 11:00 a.m., the temperature outside was 57 degrees, and by 4:00 p.m., the temperature was 69 degrees. How much more in degrees would the temperature have to increase so there would be a 20-degree increase from the morning to afternoon temperature?

Russell’s soccer practice began at 5:10 p.m. and ended by 7:30 p.m. How many minutes did his soccer practice last? (Do not answer in hours.)

Mark’s baseball practice began at 5:15 p.m., and his mother told him that she would be back to pick him up in 90 minutes. If Mark’s baseball practice ended at 7:00 p.m., would Mark’s mother be early or late to pick him up? Explain your answer.

Forty-eight cars are parked in a parking lot. The cars are parked in 6 rows with the same number in each row. How many cars are parked in each row of the parking lot?

A. 288
    B. 54
    C. 8
    D. 42

Shelley began reading at 5:20 in the afternoon. Shelley’s mother told her that she would get five extra minutes to play on her X-Box 360 for every ten minutes she would read. If Shelley read until 6:00, how many extra minutes did she get to play on her X-Box?

The land area of Peru is 496,260 square miles. 267,627 square miles of Peru is rainforest. How many square miles of Peru is not rainforest?

The land area of Venezuela is 352,170 square miles. 123,060 square miles is rainforest. The land area of Columbia is 439,769 square miles. 179,164 square miles is rainforest. Which country has less square miles of rainforest?

Jupiter has a diameter of 88,731 miles. Earth has a diameter of 7,926 miles. About how many times larger is the diameter of Jupiter than the diameter of Earth?

For which of the following would a pound be an appropriate unit of measure?
    A. fruit punch
    B. bunch of bananas
    C. milk
    D. cooking oil