How do I bring this up....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tgtbtj, May 24, 2012.

1. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

May 24, 2012

Hi everyone! So I'm having a little dilemma and I wanted to get some advice about what I should say to my principal. We just finished school and will be having our end of the year interviews tomorrow. I currently teach pre-k at my school but have gotten word that there may be a kindergarten position opening up. I would love to have that position for the job security. My current position is low in enrollment at the moment and im scared if more children aren't register I wont have a job for the coming school year. My question is, how do you think I should bring this up to my principal so the it doesnt sound like I'm not happy where I'm at? I love my grade but at this point it's more about job security than anything else. Please help????

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

I would probably just say you want something new and you would like to move if another position opens up.

That's pretty much how I approached my P. I told her since we are switching to Common Core, I felt this was the year to make a change since I have to learn a new curriculum anyway. I told her it was no big deal if she couldn't move me.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 24, 2012

"I love PreK but would be honored if you considered me for any openings in Kindergarden"

5. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

:yeahthat:

Just be honest. Say you enjoy working here and would love the opportunity to work in Kindergarten and ask that you be considered for the position.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 24, 2012

I was hired for a middle years position and after 1 year I knew I wanted something else. I went to my principal and said that while I knew there were benefits to staying in the same grade for a few years and refining my practice, I wanted to be considered for an early years position. My principals were relieved because they wanted to make another grade 1 class.

ETA: I wouldn't have been considered for the job if I hadn't said anything. If you want the kindergarten, you will have to speak up for yourself. Otherwise your principal will assume you are perfectly content where you are.

7. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

May 24, 2012

That sounds really good. I practiced what I would say in my head and every way it came out sounded wrong but I like this.

8. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

May 24, 2012

ETA: I wouldn't have been considered for the job if I hadn't said anything. If you want the kindergarten, you will have to speak up for yourself. Otherwise your principal will assume you are perfectly content where you are.[/QUOTE]

Very true. That's why I feel that I should speak up before someone else gets hired for the kinder position over me because I didn't speak up. :thanks:

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

I agree with what the others said...your P may be happy to hear you say it! Good luck.