How do I answer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Exclaimation Po, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

How do I answer when asked why I'm no longer at my last school? I was not asked back. I had a one year contract as a first year teacher and my principal chose not to ask me back. I did not get a reason why she made this decision. In fact, she never seriously talked to me after November.:( All I know is that my performance evaluation was great (a 3 out of 4, what more could a first year teacher ask for?). Since I was a first year teacher, she had no obligation to tell me why she wasn't asking me back.

Any suggestions on how to make this sound not that bad??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

Maybe just say that the school wasn't right for you and you wanted a better fit?

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

This is the same answer I posted to a similar question on another thread.
    A few weeks ago, I asked a hiring manager the same question. He said I was supposed to answer with, "I enjoyed my time at XXX, but I am ready to pursue other options." If you didn't enjoy your time at that particular school, you could possibly say, I learned a lot from my experience at XXX, but I wanted to pursue this opportunity.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, teach123's is a better answer. Go with that one! :)

6. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 4, 2007

This is why I'm not a used car saleswoman on the side....but I would not say anything that indicated it was solely your choice not to return. There is nothing wrong with saying that as a first year teacher, you were on the "bubble" or at risk for not returning simply based on classroom and site needs. Truly, you don't know exactly why you weren't asked back, so there's nothing to hide. (Talk up your good evaluations--have a copy of one with you if you are comfortable sharing that confidential inifo.) But it would seem dishonest to me NOT to say something about it! Every administrator knows how many changes and "fits" are adjusted year to year, and that's not the fault of a teacher.

7. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I totally agree with, Srh. Most apps ask you if you have ever been non-renewed for a contract, so it is going to be out there already that you may have not been asked back. I think citing district needs is a good way to deflect any negative reactions. Just like, Srh said, talk up your good eval. Let them know you did what you were supposed to at your previous school. Any letters of rec you can get from that job would be great too! Good luck!

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

Your contract ended and there wasn't enough need for some of the newer staff to stay (assuming you weren't the only one). Have one or two good references from the school--your department chair, the VP, whoever you really clicked with.