How do I answer this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovemyboys, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys New Member

Apr 10, 2009

I've been on two interviews in the past few months and both have asked what a typical reading lesson would look like. How do you respond to that? I've mentioned introducing the topic, modeling, guiding, independent work. But that can apply to other content areas as well. Really not sure what to say. Any help would be appreciated!

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 10, 2009

What grade level? I work in Middle Years and our reading lessons typically include a lot of work around reading strategies.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

I think it does depend on what level you are interviewing for. For me, I would say something along the lines of

mini lesson
    independent reading
    conferencing
    guided reading
    sharing
    shared reading
    etc.
    but i think in the middle grades it might look different.

5. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys New Member

Apr 10, 2009

Thank you. That's basically what I said, but I feel like they are looking for more. Maybe my answer was fine. Sorry- I am certified in the elementary level 1-6.

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 10, 2009

I'm thinking over the specific parts to my guided reading lesson plans...

Activate prior knowledge about the topic or genre
    Read title and take predictions
    Picture walk to introduce new or tricky words
    Set a purpose for reading
    Read the text, with stopping points for comprehension (listen to individual kids read and take notes)
    Follow-up discussion to share thoughts, reading strategies
    Follow-up activity/take running records

7. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Apr 10, 2009

I am a reading teacher/reading recovery trained. Find out what that particular school is doing for their reading program by looking at their website. Try to incorporate their method into your answer. For us it is guided reading. The other kids work in reading/literacy centers while the teacher takes the small group for guided reading. Talk about assessments. Assessment drives instruction. Principals are big on assessment is common knowledge on our website should anyone look. I am unsure of what grades you are interviewing for. All our teachers use running records at some point in their reading instruction. Nattles hit it on with the guided reading also. There are soooo many ways-it all depends on the grade and the school.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2009

I agree with the previous posters about finding out what the district does now before the interview. I would personally talk about how I incorporate balanced literacy and continually assess my kids. Good luck with your interviews!!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 11, 2009

Are you bringing a portfolio that you can pull parts of reading lessons from to show what you have done in the past?