How do grade projects that are done by parent and not the students.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nasirahc83, Dec 20, 2010.

1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 20, 2010

This is sorta becoming a pet peeve of mine. first, let me say, I understand that parents want the best for their children but it is diffcult for me to appreciate the student's work when I know that it was not written by the student. I am starting to see why a co-worker of mine says she does not assign projects because projects are often graded like a test and in all acutality the child had very little particpation in the actual project and would still receive A+ on it.

then I would have a student who spent a lot of time on their project and had very little parent assistance but it look medicore and then a student who's parent did all work and on the day of projects all the other students are glued around "parent's work". :(

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

You might want to examine the projects you are questioning, and see if there is any tweaking you can do to ensure that the work must be done by students. What can you do in class? What can be done at home (and therefore, you don't mind if it gets done by a parent)? Finally, can you give parents their own part to do on a project? If they're busy, maybe they'll let the students do their own part.

4. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 20, 2010

the parent part sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

5. Couldntbhappier

Couldntbhappier Rookie

Dec 20, 2010

I send the project rubric home with the assignment. The last item on the rubric is "All work is student created." It is worth only the maximum amount of points or zero - no in between. I had a couple of parents still choose to do the work the first time I sent this home, but after that project went home with an 80%, they never did it again.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

You could have the projects done over a period of time in class. Any parts that have to be taken home to be finished won't count towards the final grade.

You are grading the student's mastery of the content. If you have no evidence that the student mastered it, you have to assign no grade or an F, per the directive of your admin.

7. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Dec 21, 2010

I agree with Caesar, give them the time in class to complete the projects. Give them their timeline/schedule when you assign the project and let them know how much time they are getting in class to complete it.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 21, 2010

I also want to point out that it's important to make the project doable by the student. My daughter is in 2nd grade and was assigned the project of researching the lifestyle and environment of the Lenni Lenape and then building a diarama from scratch that encorporates the environment, tools, homes, and people wearing native clothes and jewelry. All elements needed to be created from scratch - no premade items - and items from nature such as leaves, bark, twigs, rocks, etc. should be utilized. A 2 paragraph report needed to accompany the diorama.

In my opinion, this is not an appropriate project for a 7 year old and there was no way I could expect her to do it. I did the research and printed out facts for her to include in her essay (although she wrote the essay herself). I also did about 80% of the work on her diorama although she was in the room at the time. I spoke to some of the parents of her classmates and not one of the students did the work themselves. One parent told me that her child wanted to participate more but kept breaking things and getting frustrated so eventually she had to forbid it.

I think that if you want the student to do the work himself, it's essential that the project be age appropriate. I'm not saying that yours wasn't only that many times elementary school teachers assign projects that students simply cannot do.

9. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 21, 2010

I find that math is one of the worst subjects when it comes to parent intervention- I see it all the time in homework assignments where it looks like the student really knows what they're doing, only to bomb the in-class tests.

My co-op teacher and I have found that the best way to handle assignments is to just allow time for them in class- that way you know for sure that the students are not relying on mom and dad to do the work for them. Naturally, we help them out a little if needed, but for the most part it's their own work. When we give these in-class "culminating tasks" at the end of the unit, we can figure out exactly where the student is struggling and try to correct it before they write their unit tests (which are generally weighted higher)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

I do projects in class, and I always provide after-school or before-school time as well. Part of it is to avoid kids not doing the work themselves, but the main part is because I teach low-income students who often don't have the resources to do the work at home.

One teacher assigned students to measure their bedroom and then use online resources and an imaginary $1000 to redecorate their bedroom. Some kids had no internet access at home, and a good chunk either did not have their own bedroom or did not have a bedroom at all.

11. carlea

carlea Comrade

Dec 21, 2010

When I taught 4th grade, the students worked in groups to build missions. I sent home letters to the parents asking for volunteers to come in and help. Quite a few parents came and helped, but only one parent came in and took over. Many of the parents were glad that the students were building them in class.

Projects that I assign to my 6th graders are always done in class. Since I'm also trying to teach them time management and organization, one part of the rubric is always if they used their time well and completed it on time.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 21, 2010

I teach 2nd grade too, and my team does not send projects home. They are done in class.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

How about making the majority of the grade come from presenting the project? If a parent did most of the work/research, the child will not be able to explain it well during presentations.

14. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 23, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I think the second half of the school year, I will not be sending any projects home. All will done in school or at least partial.

15. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

I make my students write a summary of their learning in class after they have turned in a project. It is weighted to be about 20% of the grade. Means a parent project can earn a B-/C+ at best.